TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1985 Mustang GT was best Fox Mustang ever?

08mach1

Owned two Fox body cars:

1992 Saleen

1993 Limited convertible - white, white interior, white wheels - was hard to keep clean...... :drop:

I remember thinking 275 HP was a lot. The cars had nice torque though.

Had a '92 LX convertible 5.0, 5 speed and optional 3.08 gears, triple black, very nice car. Put more power to the ground than any car I ever owned (until now). I felt like you could actually feel the chassis bow up on a hard 1-2 shift. Nothing like the sound of that 5.0 screaming! Loved that car!

I've had an '85 GT, last of the great 5.0 carbed motor. It was a white GT T-top car. I've had a couple '86's, including an SSP out of Utah, two '87's, a '90 Mile High edition, and a '90 SSP Colorado car. I have a '90 7-Up Fox Vert which I'm putting together for my daughter. She's 10 now. I bought the basked case car when she was 1 and haven't done much with it. I guess I better get busy!! Only 5 more years!

Now I'm starting to get itchy to find another Fox!!!

I don't know if the '85 was the best (personally I agree with the '93 cobra), but I will say I think the '86 might be the worst.

Only problem with the '86 is that it was slightly down on power due to the car heads that Ford used on this first year of the new injection system. A little head work or swap and that is all better. In '87 they switched to the better flowing 5.0 truck heads that brought it up to the then famous 225 hp. Wow, that seemed like a lot back then! I like the '86 as the first year of this injection system, last year of the four eye. I like the '85-86 nose. Most simple way to tell them apart from the outside is that the '86 is the first year of the third brake light in the rear spoiler. Other than that, the '85-86 are pretty much indistinguishable from the outside.

Only problem with the '86 ....... Other than that, the '85-86 are pretty much indistinguishable from the outside.

I had always heard (especially from an '86 owner) that the parts are a pain to find because the first year of injection was vastly improved in the next year; this leading to exclusivity of parts of 86 from 85(-) and 87(+). Not only that, but the injection system was vastly improved for a reason, meaning that the '86 had a strong chance of lacking durability in the engine without replacing parts a lot.

I had always heard (especially from an '86 owner) that the parts are a pain to find because the first year of injection was vastly improved in the next year; this leading to exclusivity of parts of 86 from 85(-) and 87(+). Not only that, but the injection system was vastly improved for a reason, meaning that the '86 had a strong chance of lacking durability in the engine without replacing parts a lot.

Nope, I've done many of them. The '86 injection is the same as '87. Only difference was in the heads. The throttle body was also a bit smaller, but all interchangable. My A Sedan SCCA Race car was one I converted from one of my '86 drivers.

This pic goes back to about 1990. Here it is:

ASMustang.jpg

• 2 months later...

Maybe not the best FOX but the 85 was my first introduction to the new era of Muscle

My 85 was my first Mustang, a one owner, low mile GT T-top in Canyon Red.

I purchased it in 1990 to use as a daily driver while keeping my 428cj powered 67 Fairlane at home in the garage,

In 1992 I decided to do some shopping in the Ford Motorsport catologue-

Purchased and installed a new GT40 crate motor (before the 93 cobra was on the market) and 8.8 rearend loaded with 3.73's ('85 came with 7.5 rearend)

Ford Motorsport springs, then sprung for some Saleen shocks and sway bars along with other performance items like a holley fuel pump, headers etc...

The weak part was the T-5's, I got real good replacing them :)

This was the first car I autocrossed and ran on a road course

This car at the time was the best of both worlds, I was able to nail down 27mpg on the hiway and run 12's in the quarter mile.

All with the factor carb I had reworked by the Carb Shop in CA

I sold the car in 94 to focus my attention on a floundering marriage and a young daughter. (still married now going on 27 years)

I had a chance to purchase it back last year from the 3rd owner after me.

I had him down to $6500, part of me wanted it but I decided to pass after a day of really thinking about it, mostly because I didn't have a real reason to have it now days. .

85side_600.jpg

85_Mustang.jpg

85stang_600.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you like the 85 GT, I have a White one with the 5.0 5 Speed so it has the 4V Carb. Best of all it has the T-Tops. The car is mostly complete but it needs restoring. It has a strong running motor. It is now FOR SALE as I am buying a House and need to purchase items for the House. Just $3,000.00

Archived