TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1985 Mustang GT was best Fox Mustang ever?

08mach1

I'm going to disagree. While the '85 was better than it's predecessors, I don't feel it was the "Best Fox Body". By 1985s standards, the car was definitely all that. I'm sure every answer in this thread will differ greatly, but I'll offer mine anyhow.

I can't just narrow it down to a singular year. While I *like* the 1993 Cobra, I'm partial to the 1989-1993 LX model. The cars were mass air, had the 8.8 rear, and a no frills sleeper look. They were every drag racers dream, with a plethora of aftermarket parts, and quite a few no cost mods to make them run better.

*If* I have to choose just one, I'm going with the SAAC Mk variants. You never said they had to be "factory". IMO, *those* would be the best ever, and hell, even Carroll Shelby will back that up. :)

saacmarkIIa.bmp

saacmarkIIa.bmp

My vote is for the 1989 1/2 5.0LX model. While mass air was available in '88 on California cars and cop cars, it didn't go on all 5.0's until 1989. And the LX's didn't get the 140mph speedo and high back GT seats until half way into the 1989 model year (roughly January 1989). The 1989 1/2 had it all and was the peak for factory built fox-body Mustangs (other than the '93 Cobra). The 1990 model year deleted some equipment to save a few bucks and the cam profile change hurt performance a bit, so the 1989 was the last of the 225hp 5.0's (they dropped to 215hp or 205hp after that depending on who you ask).

I was lucky enough to buy an '89 1/2 brand new in March 1989. It was a deep shadow blue 5.0L LX Sport (hatchback) with the 5.0L, 5-speed manual, and all factory options. I had the 2.73 gears replaced that first summer with 3.73's and drove that car hard for 107,000 miles and 5 years before selling it to get a truck (oops!).

I used to think the same thing about the '85's. Last carbureted 5.0L, first roller cam 5.0L, traction-lok axle, decent looking car, etc. But, after having plenty of fuel injected performance cars and computers making things way easier to tune and run better, I don't even want a carbureted Mustang anymore (except the '69 Mach 1 R-Code 428).

'85-1/2 SVO. Back in '85-'87, the Camaros and Firebirds stop playing with me; didn't like being beat by a 4-cylinder. Besides it's a blast on road courses. I've had it at SAAC events at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Mid-Ohio, Michigan International Speedway, Indianpolis Raceway Park, Watkins Glen and many times at Waterford Hills in Michigan. B)

• 4 months later...

Nobody said '88s were junk. While Speed Density is capable of showing good 1/4 mile times in stock form, Mass Air is the preference because it's very receptive (almost welcoming) to modifications.

A Mass Air swap is easy and can be done with junkyard parts and a $32 wiring jumper harness. You can use any 5.0 parts that the mass air counterparts do, but should you change things like injectors, you're probably going to have a headache on your hands.

• 3 weeks later...

I see a few ways to respond to this after reading other peoples posts. If we are talking stock manufactured by Ford I would have to go with a '93 Cobra.

As far as tuner cars made by others I agree the SAAC I would pick first and second I would go with the ASC McLaren.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ASC, welcome to StangsUnleashed! Got pics?

My apologies for not responding sooner I thought I had email notification unless it went into spam filter. My car is having some cosmetic and performance work done and I will gladly post pics once its back. In the meantime check out this link to see many Capri and Mustang ASC McLaren pics. This site is perhaps the best to view many fine examples of these super rare cars. Thanks for showing an interest.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/

Nick :)

• 4 weeks later...

1989.5 Notch 5.0 5 spd. Bare bones no a/c

Now that's the one that gets me going.

My friend has a 1985 GT 5.0 4V. It has (And Im not kidding) 7000 original miles! Ive driven it, And boy its amazing how far cars have come. Nothing has been modified on his car either. ALL original minus battery.

'85-1/2 SVO. Back in '85-'87, the Camaros and Firebirds stop playing with me; didn't like being beat by a 4-cylinder. Besides it's a blast on road courses. I've had it at SAAC events at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Mid-Ohio, Michigan International Speedway, Indianpolis Raceway Park, Watkins Glen and many times at Waterford Hills in Michigan. B)

:shift: My friend had a 86 SVO and we use to spank f-bodies at will . :hysterical: This is one of my favorites but i think that the meanest looking stangs are the 82 gt and 83 gt . My choice for the best fox is the 93' SVT Cobra . :rockon:

• 1 month later...
Guest evilchris

:shift: My friend had a 86 SVO and we use to spank f-bodies at will . :hysterical: This is one of my favorites but i think that the meanest looking stangs are the 82 gt and 83 gt . My choice for the best fox is the 93' SVT Cobra . :rockon:

The 93 Cobra had a horrible spoiler, 86 taillights, and crappy t-bird rims!

The best Fox imo was the 91 LX 5.0. Still had the penis-light map light which was gone in 92, still had forged pistons, and the pony rims. =)

I purchased a 1985 GT new as a 21 year old. At that time, I thought it was about the hottest looking car on the road. I think it was about $14K OTD! I have many a great memory of that car. I drove it about 50K miles in 3 years and sold it to a buddy who beat the hell out it until I finally lost track of the buddy and car. I still think it was a very good looking car...although, I've recently been taking a second look @ some LX Notchbacks of the same vintage...

• 1 month later...

Hey Shelbywise, I got an answer for ya! LOL! If you like the 85s and want a notch, you need one of these. I bought it bone stock about 7 years ago with 50,000 original miles on it in mint shape for $5k. I've never regretted buying it even though I really wanted an '87-93 coupe at the time. I went and looked at it anyways. Once they pulled the cover off it - it was love at first sight! Needless to say, I was driving it home a couple days later as the third owner. I've modified it quite a bit but tried to keep it tasteful.

I have the cool tough looking 85 nose and the notchback body. It's a real 5.0 5 speed car too. A/C delete, no powers - nice and light. I actually think in some ways the 85 5.0 Coupe could possibly be the best all around performing fox body ever made from the factory as far as power to weight ratio goes atleast.

7333140.jpg

my 1985 Mustang Coupe Page

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=733

John

• 1 year later...

I don't feel that the '85 was the "best" Fox year...

I do think that its relatively funny to see the 4-eyed cars make such a comeback after being kicked in the teeth for aero-nosed cars and suffering conversions all these years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I bought white GT new in 86'. Seems like it had all the latest greatest stuff. Fuel injection, 8.8 rear 5-speed. $13,200 plus tt&L.. A buddy of mine had an 85' that did not seem as fast. I have owned a 82 GT, a 89 5.0 LX coupe, and a 92 5.0 hatchback. That being said I have to agree that the 93 cobras was the best looking and also the fastest stock car..By the way, has anyone seen any of the SAAC cars that were made in the late 80's? Have not seen one since. Just wondering what they are worth now. As I recall they were pricey then.

• 4 years later...

I own a 85 mustang gt and i think this car is amazing. i lowered it and changed the rims, this car looks like a beast. does anyone have an opinion on how much my car is worth, it has 89 000 kms and its the last year mustangs came carburated.

in decent shape anywhere from 3500 to 5000, i have a black 85 mustang GT with 73k miles on it and im about to dig in and rebuild it. if i were too sell it after, i'd probably go for 6-7 due to it being rebuilt.. but you know whenever i do a project i tend to fall in love with it

85FOX,

Welcome to Team Shelby, you really dug back into the archives for this old topic. BTW, my 84 SVO Mustang would outrun those early 5.0's but once the aftermarket guys started the mods the 5 liter really took off.

+1... SVO's carried a premium, but ran circles around the same generation GT's. Interesting that today we're seeing the revival of HiPo turbos.

• 1 month later...

Archived