TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wish they treated these cars better!

I came to Hartford on a business trip this week and saw they had two SGT verts in the Gold Club area. I went over to take a look thinking the weather was great as was supposed to be nice the entire weekend. I was VERY VERY disappointed. BOTH cars were dirty. I mean REALLY dirty that muddy rain kinda dirty. They both were exactly the same and the weather had been great the last few days so at least they had been sitting this way for a few days. Both were available for rental though at a high $168 a day about twice what I paid for the coupe GTH.

Also #50 or something had a bad lower grill job. REALLY bad. The lights on either end sat a good 2-3" back from the grill and pointed down in a useless position. The other car looked fine with the lights up to the black round hole. Not sure what was up with the other. It's not something that would happen by hitting something as you would break the grill before hitting the lights. VERY strange and looked really bad.

But my point is Hertz doesn't seem to take care of these cars. Here two flagship cars sit less than 25 feet from the car wash, it's seriously right there next to the #1 Club Gold area and no one thought to just run them through on a Friday morning before one of the last warm sunny weekend of the season?

Ugh.. :blink:

That's really a shame. But, this seems so typical of rental car companies nowadays. I can't even remember the last time I got a truly clean car. Poor service is epidemic anymore.

Matt

I can almost guarantee you from personal experience the problems with the driving lights was caused by someone hitting the low chin on a curb. They just need to be pushed back but of course Hertz does not know that. Steve

Wow...ok, I'll take your word for it! You have'um! I guess on the plus side they bend back and don't just break.

i currently have number ### out on rental. the problem with the lights is they are just slip fit into place on the fiberglass duct kit fabricated by Sai. i own an 07 sgt and i am tired of waiting on the kit. sooooo, while on this trip, i bought a few tools and removed one duct kit. The lights are bolted on to a hanging bracket and then have shims that keep them in place and aiming out of their hole. When those shims, which are u shaped, fall out, the lights just spin and dangle.

had washers been used, the light could come loose, but would only spin, not dangle.

While at it, i removed the duct plate, photographed it at all angles and traced it. it is a simple plate made of mat fiberglass. i am exploring an alloy or kevlar fabrication and needed the up close and personal template.

As far as hertz goes, the car has 700 miles on it. While it runs like a new car, very tight and squeak free, the body is full of scrathes and nicks. Really, blame it on so many of the crude folks that rent the cars and treat them like a sidewalk curb.

• 4 weeks later...

Go look on you tube for rental Shelby burnouts and you will be surprised at how some of these cars are treated!!!!!Much worse than your average rental car!On a side note some one on my Corvette forum rented one of these,proceeded to exceed the speed limit by quite a bit ,by no means abuse just high speed driving,Few days after he returned the vehicle,Hertz sent him a letter in the mail detailing his antics withexact locations,Sooooooooooooo,I'm guessing they have some sort of GPS device with alerting capabilities,or recording capabilities,so be care ful if you rent one and get crazy,might be getting a ticket in the mail too,just thought you might want to know!!

Go look on you tube for rental Shelby burnouts and you will be surprised at how some of these cars are treated!!!!!Much worse than your average rental car!On a side note some one on my Corvette forum rented one of these,proceeded to exceed the speed limit by quite a bit ,by no means abuse just high speed driving,Few days after he returned the vehicle,Hertz sent him a letter in the mail detailing his antics withexact locations,Sooooooooooooo,I'm guessing they have some sort of GPS device with alerting capabilities,or recording capabilities,so be care ful if you rent one and get crazy,might be getting a ticket in the mail too,just thought you might want to know!!

Oh!...maybe I'll get one from Vegas, woke up late (on the floor) the morning of my tour and had to do 120mph up the 15 to SAI in my rented Shelby vert from the hotel to make it to Clinks' Baby's Arrival (& the tour!) on time. :o

(.....maybe they thought she got homesick!) ;)

and frankly in this car & the open Interstate...I would hardly call 120 getting crazy.

...it was a little windy though! :P

and Matt, mine was dirty too.

Hit 130 in in GT-H coupe in wide open desert outside Vegas last year before needing to brake for an approaching crest in a hill... it had more to give.

No nasty letter in the mail, but I've heard of that as well. I would think they would have to disclose that in the fine print in the rental agreement. Perhaps it wasn't a corporate location and a franchisee had problems with certain types of cars in the past.

Archived