TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT suspension

blueshawk

Some days I notice the stiff, bouncy ride more and wonder if other lowered mustangs (Roush, Saleen, etc.) with progressive springs have the same ride? The SGT is a car that feels good on a winding, country road, but is a little rough on some of the city streets. Anyone notice that?

On the other hand, my Camry feels awfully loose and sloppy and SLOW after driving the SGT.

Guess it comes with the turf.

:)

I notice it and I love it........

I had the gt for a year and although it was a 'smoother' ride on local streets...on the highways at over 80mph..it was too "loose and sloppy" and I didnt care for it.....

The Shelby......I can take my hands off the steering wheel at 110mph....(not recommended)....... :lol:

I love the suspension on the Shelby..........rock n roll..........of course You wouldn't wanna be drinking a full cup of coffee goin down a bumpy road.... :lol:

Yesterday...taking a left turn onto a highway after the light turned green.......I put my foot down a bit too heavy on the gas and zoom zoom zoom......ol' johnny-boy was 300 yards down the highway before the cars that were behind me were making the turn..........

now my soul yearns for a Shelby Cobra....come on lottery...

:lol:

I notice it and I love it........

I had the gt for a year and although it was a 'smoother' ride on local streets...on the highways at over 80mph..it was too "loose and sloppy" and I didnt care for it.....

The Shelby......I can take my hands off the steering wheel at 110mph....(not recommended)....... :lol:

I love the suspension on the Shelby..........rock n roll..........of course You wouldn't wanna be drinking a full cup of coffee goin down a bumpy road.... :lol:

It just feels right to me..........now...........I don't wanna get banned for this...um kinda sexist remark... but...all my life...every car I had....had a womans name....but...the Shelby...I call Johnny-Boy......It has ba**s.....

Yesterday...taking a left turn onto a highway after the light turned green.......I put my foot down a bit too heavy on the gas and zoom zoom zoom......ol' johnny-boy was 300 yards down the highway before the cars that were behind me were making the turn..........

now my soul yearns for a Shelby Cobra....come on lottery...

:lol:

Ours too-win you win how 'bout cobras all around! :D

My ride is a love/nolove thing. Here in Houston we have rollercoaster concrete with 2 inch vertical faults.

Most of the time I love the way Sherbie eats up the road, reminds me of a 70 Firebird Formula that my sisters boyfriend had back in the day. Stiff, and purpose built to haul butt and corner well.

I wonder though if there is an in between adjustment we can make?

When i think about the stiffer ride, it's usualy after i have been sitting in it for about 3 hour's. Like when i went to SAI and met Bud and stuff, i came for So. Calif. and it was about 3-3 1/2 hour drive. I was happy to get out of the car, but, i was still smiling.................... :)

After 3 hours I'm happy to get out of ANY car! :lol:

lol, my wife and I drove our Shelby home from Vegas. I had the brilliant I dea not to take the I-15 home. So wer went out around Lake Meade over tho Hoover Dam, into Kingman and then Route 66 to Needles. Route 66 from Kingman to Needles is basically a worn out donkey trail. When we stopped in Needles for diner my wife had enough. She said to get back in the car she would need ear plugs and a neck brace. Fortunatley for me it was getting dark so i promised to take the freeway the rest of the way home instead of the rest of Route 66. My wife has only threesomed with my Shelby one other time.

My wife has only threesomed with my Shelby one other time.

Dont know about you, but Id count it as a plus if my wife didnt like the ride. Mine likes the ride though. Atleast she cant drive a stick so I dont have to worry about her driving it.

lol, my wife and I drove our Shelby home from Vegas. I had the brilliant I dea not to take the I-15 home. So wer went out around Lake Meade over tho Hoover Dam, into Kingman and then Route 66 to Needles. Route 66 from Kingman to Needles is basically a worn out donkey trail. When we stopped in Needles for diner my wife had enough. She said to get back in the car she would need ear plugs and a neck brace. Fortunatley for me it was getting dark so i promised to take the freeway the rest of the way home instead of the rest of Route 66. My wife has only threesomed with my Shelby one other time.

That's the same route my wife and I took going to Vegas. Hoover Dam was a bit crowded but other than that it was a beautiful trip.

I have to admit, we only drove Route 66 for about 100 miles and then jumped back on the big road.

Dont know about you, but Id count it as a plus if my wife didnt like the ride. Mine likes the ride though. Atleast she cant drive a stick so I dont have to worry about her driving it.

I'll grab the other oar here-we're in the same boat. My wife loves to ride in the car but can't drive it. She has also become the one who wants to show it off-she'll get a sitter for the kids so we can go someplace and always is saying "we should take the Shelby so we can show it to...". She can't drive a stick though, so at least I'm safe there!

Dale cant drive a stick (yet) and says she refuses to learn on the SGT. <_<

But she loves to go for rides and only has her eyes closed like half the time! :P

If she sees me reaching for the shifter, she knows NOT to try and drink.. ;)

However, my ex who was taught manual by myself years ago, once when accused of tail-gating by a co-worker said.."I was NOT tail-gating, I was drafting!"

The ex said to me the other day when I was dropping off the kids, "That car is really beautiful, cant wait to take it for a ride!" OY!

My ride is a love/nolove thing. Here in Houston we have rollercoaster concrete with 2 inch vertical faults.

Most of the time I love the way Sherbie eats up the road, reminds me of a 70 Firebird Formula that my sisters boyfriend had back in the day. Stiff, and purpose built to haul butt and corner well.

I wonder though if there is an in between adjustment we can make?

I echo that Houston sentiment. There's a lot of new home building in my area and there's no effort to improve the infrastructure. The only road work that gets done is pot hole repair. And even that is half-ar$$ at best.

The ride is not for those with weak spines. I became accustom to the harsh ride as a previous owner of a '99 Z28. Bottom line is that you have to know up front that this is the type of ride you're gonna get.

Some days I notice the stiff, bouncy ride more and wonder if other lowered mustangs (Roush, Saleen, etc.) with progressive springs have the same ride? The SGT is a car that feels good on a winding, country road, but is a little rough on some of the city streets. Anyone notice that?

On the other hand, my Camry feels awfully loose and sloppy and SLOW after driving the SGT.

Guess it comes with the turf.

Off the top of my head I think I read that the Shelby springs are 60% stiffer then a stock GT, I think I read that the Roush was 30% stiffer then a GT so maybe a little more compliant.

I DONT THINK THE RIDE IS BAD AT ALL.

ALL YOU GUYS MADE ME CONCERNED WITH THE RIDE. IT RIDE MUCH BETTER THAN MY 1993 COBRA MUSTANG COBRA AND THAT A QUOTE FROM MY WIFE WHO DRIVES A CADDY.

MAYBE IT THE TIRES AND/OR WHEELS I HAVE 20 RAZORS WITH GOODYEARS AND THE RIDE IS GREAT BETTER THAN EVERYONE EXPECTS WHEN THEY GET TO RIDE IN IT.

One way of getting a smoother ride would be to mount plain 'ol street tires on the car, like an 18" tire made for a luxo-barge, then reduce the pressure a pound or two....if you're willing to give up some handling....

The first time I read this thread, I thought "whatever". I love the way my car rides and handles, period. But yesterday I put it on an interstate with concrete expansion joints and it bounced me all over the place. If I was doing that kind of driving more often, it could get a little annoying.

The short version is that my current drive to and from work takes about 30 minutes each, and it is all winding, hilly back roads through woods and over about five fingers of Falls Lake. The car absolutely eats the route alive, and I love it.

Shortly after taking delivery on our 07GT Coupe my dealer installed the FRPP handling package. I felt that the stock suspension was too soft. Loved the handling but found the multi-matic shocks/struts a little harsh at times.

Had a set of Tokico D Specs installed along with a Steeda adjustable panhard bar,HD brace, HD strut mounts.

The D Specs made a noticeable difference in ride quality plus they are very easy to adjust. Especially with the remote adjusters for the rear .

Centering the rear end with the adjustable panhard bar made a noticeable difference when cornering.

I don't think the D Specs would hurt the Shelby re-sale as the multi matics could be re-installed.

• 2 weeks later...

thank goodness for the lumbar seat adjuster. pump that lil thing up and HANG ON :lol:

I am nothing if not old school, so excuse my input, but I have wanted a shelby since I was 14 and a half.

So, unless I slip a disc, and @ 43 that is more than possible, I will happily drive the car as the GOD of street machines (CS) indended it to be driven.... with the original SHELBY mutha F*&$in Suspension.

And feel honored to do so. Driving this car is like dating the prom queen, only she is quieter,,,,

even with the Hi Po exhaust......... LOL!

Sure I bounce all over the place, but if your buy a Boss 429 you don't b!tch about gas milage right?

thank goodness for the lumbar seat adjuster. pump that lil thing up and HANG ON :lol:

I am nothing if not old school, so excuse my input, but I have wanted a shelby since I was 14 and a half.

So, unless I slip a disc, and @ 43 that is more than possible, I will happily drive the car as the GOD of street machines (CS) indended it to be driven.... with the original SHELBY mutha F*&$in Suspension.

And feel honored to do so. Driving this car is like dating the prom queen, only she is quieter,,,,

even with the Hi Po exhaust......... LOL!

Sure I bounce all over the place, but if your buy a Boss 429 you don't b!tch about gas milage right?

The first time I read this thread, I thought "whatever". I love the way my car rides and handles, period. But yesterday I put it on an interstate with concrete expansion joints and it bounced me all over the place. If I was doing that kind of driving more often, it could get a little annoying.

The short version is that my current drive to and from work takes about 30 minutes each, and it is all winding, hilly back roads through woods and over about five fingers of Falls Lake. The car absolutely eats the route alive, and I love it.

Part of my commute (but too short) is on winding country roads and you are right, the car was made for these and the right phrase is "eats the road alive".

The city streets with all the road construction is my problem.

Archived