TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help, the rain has lifted my stripes

wmoore

I drove to Fargo today (85 miles 1 one way) to the all Ford car show. Yes, it did rain the whole way there and back. Just looked at the stripes, on the roof, and they are ripped, torn, and have water bubbles under them. I'll try the dealership on Monday but, I doubt they will know what to do. Much less know how to put them back on. Has anyone else had this problem??? Figures, the first time I have driven it in the rain...On a good note, we did take 1st place today.

I drove to Fargo today (85 miles 1 one way) to the all Ford car show. Yes, it did rain the whole way there and back. Just looked at the stripes, on the roof, and they are ripped, torn, and have water bubbles under them. I'll try the dealership on Monday but, I doubt they will know what to do. Much less know how to put them back on. Has anyone else had this problem??? Figures, the first time I have driven it in the rain...On a good note, we did take 1st place today.

ok I know what to do listen. cal shelby performance parts they will ask for pics for proof and then they will send you roof stripes but I suggest getting the stripes painted on thats what I am doning with my 2007 SGT

Just looked at the stripes, on the roof, and they are ripped, torn, and have water bubbles under them.

And to think I was worried about what the Paint and Body shop was going to use to take my old, ugly and stained strips off of my 07 SGT. Simple, they will just hit 80 in the rain and they will lift off! :lol: (see my post from yesterday about my crappy <bleep> race strips.) IN MY HUMBLE OPINION THE STRIPS ON THE CAR ARE A P.O.S.!

I did a search on "Strips" here yesterday and saw many people with strip problems....Un-fricking-real. I'm 51 years old and for the first time in my long awaited life I could afford a REAL SHELBY only to have this nightmare hit me. After they take the old strips off and put the new ones on, GUESS WHAT, I'll NEVER be able to say she is ORIGINAL. GREAT, JUST GREAT!! In my not so humble opinion my car may as well have been wrecked!

I'm so sick about this I was eyeing a 07 SALEEN at the dealer who sold me the SGT (I can afford a <bleep> SALEEN too!) The salemans says, HEY RUSTY, I can have you in that one before days end! Unless something earth shattering happens to alter my mood about this whole nightmare I may well be on the Saleen Forum Monday night!

From what I can see about half of the 5000 plus owners of the SGT are on this forum. Again, many have had issues of some nature with these crappy strips....Surely SAI and or Ford knows about this. WHEN is someone going to step up to the plate and at least offer up a recall? If they would do that I would stick around. If a recall was offered up at least the owners that have strips issues would have a fix. Of course if a owner does not have a issue with the strips...well he would merely thank the gods he got lucky, <bleep> lucky!

I do sincerely hope the owner of the car whose strips ripped up in the rain gets a suitable fix. I also hope the guy on this forum who has waited 4 weeks while his SGT sits in the hospital waiting to have the old strips removed and the new ones put on get to "one day" drive his 40 grand car. I equally hope all the guys who have been cast in the fire trying to get SAI and FORD or both to get together and get these backordered strips out to them gets them soon. JESUS, the more I type the better the SALEEN is looking.

This whole thing would be as bad as waiting 3 years in high school to get a chance at that drop dead beautiful cheerleader only to find out she is closely related to the tunas!

Rusty

ok I know what to do listen. cal shelby performance parts they will ask for pics for proof and then they will send you roof stripes but I suggest getting the stripes painted on thats what I am doning with my 2007 SGT

Have you gotten a price on painting stripes? If heard that to do it right, including clear coat, it's about $2000. Does anyone else know?

Well, thats not what to do. You need to go to your dealer and have them set up a claim. The will need to call the 800 number to do so. The warranty company will get a hold of the striping company and send out a new set of hood stripes.

I personally have never heard of one doing this before. This is a first for me. Either way, they will get replaced at no cost to you.

Guys, you all need to remember.......if its a WARRANTY claim, it HAS to go through Ford. If it was an accident, then you or your bodyshop has to go through Shelby Performance Parts.

If you have any questions that I can answer, please contact me at Budm@shelbyautos.com

Bud

ps. I believe that the hood scoop fix is just a bout a done deal. When I get the official word, I will post it. :D

Well, thats not what to do. You need to go to your dealer and have them set up a claim. The will need to call the 800 number to do so. The warranty company will get a hold of the striping company and send out a new set of hood stripes.

I personally have never heard of one doing this before. This is a first for me. Either way, they will get replaced at no cost to you.

Guys, you all need to remember.......if its a WARRANTY claim, it HAS to go through Ford. If it was an accident, then you or your bodyshop has to go through Shelby Performance Parts.

If you have any questions that I can answer, please contact me at Budm@shelbyautos.com

Bud

ps. I believe that the hood scoop fix is just a bout a done deal. When I get the official word, I will post it. :D

Thanx, for the info Bud. I'm headed to the dealership first thing Monday.

The price I got, for a really good job was $3500. Some day I will.

If I start having problems with my stripes, I'll consider that, but you could have the tape stripes replace twice for less than that. Of course, if you have a riveted scoop, it could be more because you would have to drill out the rivets and maybe replace the scoop.

I've so far been highly unimpressed with the quality of the film used on these cars, and the quality of the installation on my car is not exactly to the highest standards either. My car has been in the body shop for the last two weeks correcting issues. My body man was pointing out that on the hood where they drilled for hood pins and the hood scoop, they left all the holes with bare metal. Many of my stipes are not straight or have lifting issues or bubbles. We were looking at the lower side stripes and I was wondering why they don't go edge to edge, there are odd 1/2" gaps in front of the door and behind. Any way just saying I'm pretty dissapointed in the quality of the exterior work. Thinking of all the suspension stuff they've done makes me want to crawl under the car and go over it with a wrench.

Well I took the car to the dealership today and they were pretty helpful. I just sent them an e-mail and attached Buds reply to it so, they will have his e-mail address. They even took the time to call their "stripe guy" over. He temporarily reattached the torn stripes and filled in the gaps with a piece of another silver stripe. At least it looks better than it did. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the stripes once ordered? About 4 to 6 weeks is my guess. I'll keep ya'll informed.

If I start having problems with my stripes, I'll consider that, but you could have the tape stripes replace twice for less than that. Of course, if you have a riveted scoop, it could be more because you would have to drill out the rivets and maybe replace the scoop.

While I agree with you on the price I don't think you can compare the two. The car I looked at done was beautiful. The painted stripes blended smoothly into the paint and looked REALLY good. Add to this the the way the paint will hold up to the hazards to driving and cleaning. I have had my car for three months and there are nicks in the front stripes and some scratches where something may have been hard in a towel or something. The stripes are really soft in that regard. My issues are on stripes that are going to be replaced under warranty so I'm not too concerned with them. But in a few years, if history is any indicator, they will once again need replacement and while paint is 3x more $$$$ it will last MANY more years and look far better for a far longer period of time. In other words, you get what you pay for.

Well I took the car to the dealership today and they were pretty helpful. I just sent them an e-mail and attached Buds reply to it so, they will have his e-mail address. They even took the time to call their "stripe guy" over. He temporarily reattached the torn stripes and filled in the gaps with a piece of another silver stripe. At least it looks better than it did. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the stripes once ordered? About 4 to 6 weeks is my guess. I'll keep ya'll informed.

If you are buying them as a result of an accident or something from Shelby, a few days to a week or so. If you are doing this under warranty, which I am...well, I put my initial claim in at the end of June. As of today, September 10, I am STILL WAITING. Last week I was told some guy at Ford was on vacation so still no word as to when I'l get them.

For now I have no lower stripes!

:angry:

I had a Shelby Spoiler put on mine at the dealer and they got the stripe kit from SAI in about a week!!!

I guess it maters if they are in stock and how far your dealer is from SAI!!!!!!!

I had a Shelby Spoiler put on mine at the dealer and they got the stripe kit from SAI in about a week!!!

I guess it maters if they are in stock and how far your dealer is from SAI!!!!!!!

GT500 stripes should come from Ford I believe.

That's different! As I said, if you order direct you will get them quickly, if it's a warranty issue....that's another story! 5 weeks and counting! :angry:

That's different! As I said, if you order direct you will get them quickly, if it's a warranty issue....that's another story! 5 weeks and counting! :angry:

Just in case I need some stripes in the future because of rocks, etc. I inquired about buying them and I got this from Shelby Perf Parts:

The GT stripes are for sale in pieces and also as a kit. We have the following: SGT-900 (FULL KIT) 950.00, SGT-901 (FRONT FASCIA) 79.00,

SGT-902 (HOOD) 277.70, SGT-903 (TOP) 250.00, SGT-904 (TRUNK AND REAR FASCIA) 262.10, and SGT-905 (SIDE STRIPES) 237.70. If you need to purchase any of these stripe pieces in the future as a non-warranty issue; please contact us by any method to place an order. Any sales person can help you with this. Additionally we accept master card or visa for payment like usual. Also we will require pictures of the damaged stripes and the VIN for verification purposes.

It seems odd that they require a VIN and pics of the damaged stripes. I guess this is to prevent "cloning" but you can buy the S H E L B Y letters and other parts with the Shelby logo without a VIN. So what if someone wants the Shelby stripes. People have been cloning Shelbys for years. It hasn't hurt the value of the real Shelbys.

I don't follow the logic?

Amy & Bud have posted before that they will not sell the side stripe (atleast not the lettered portion), the hood scoop, or "powered by Ford" badge to the general public. If you need to replace these because of damage you have to provide proof of ownership and send them the damaged piece. The intent is to prevent cloning. However, I expect the aftermarket companies are on their way for the posers.

As far as the "SHELBY" lettering. They are offered to the public partly for owners who are building CS6/8's and GT500 owners. Some GT500 owners really don't like the stock SHELBY badge and placement. Replcing the stock piece with our style SHELBY has become common.

Amy & Bud have posted before that they will not sell the side stripe (atleast not the lettered portion), the hood scoop, or "powered by Ford" badge to the general public. If you need to replace these because of damage you have to provide proof of ownership and send them the damaged piece. The intent is to prevent cloning. However, I expect the aftermarket companies are on their way for the posers.

As far as the "SHELBY" lettering. They are offered to the public partly for owners who are building CS6/8's and GT500 owners. Some GT500 owners really don't like the stock SHELBY badge and placement. Replcing the stock piece with our style SHELBY has become common.

Here is a place that uses 3M tape (which is considered the best) and it is only $300 for a complete set of just the over the top and bumpers stripes. I wonder how close their metallic silver is to the Shelby stripe?

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/Products/2005/05SS10.htm

I bet you can get a sample to see if the color matches.

Here is a place that uses 3M tape (which is considered the best) and it is only $300 for a complete set of just the over the top and bumpers stripes. I wonder how close their metallic silver is to the Shelby stripe?

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/Products/2005/05SS10.htm

I bet you can get a sample to see if the color matches.

Its a perfect match I used the 3M silver metallic on my spoiler....

Its a perfect match I used the 3M silver metallic on my spoiler....

Now that is good news! I expect we may need to replace stripes down the road due to rocks and weather and this make is very affordable. The front fascia and hood will probably see the most wear.

When the time comes, I think it's worth buying some and learning how to do it yourself. Then you can do it whenever you need to. The instructions look doable. All you may do is waste some stripes and money and you can't hurt the paint.

Archived