TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ANYONE going with Headers? If so what kind

michael10128

I have read numerous posts on this subject - general concensus appears to be to avoid the short-tube because they add nearly nothing - go with the long tube. Of course, to do that then you have to be concerned with removal of the cats and emissions requirements I think....

I had considered doing headers but decided not to. I would of had to use shorty headers because of California regulations. When I did a cost benefit it just wasn't worth it. My research led me to believe that the gain would only be around 10 HP. However, it would have cost upwards of $1500 to install. Slightly higher on my car because of the supercharger. The engine actually has to be lifted off the mounts about 1.5" There would have been a nice increase in torque but still wasn't worth it to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I had considered doing headers but decided not to. I would of had to use shorty headers because of California regulations. When I did a cost benefit it just wasn't worth it. My research led me to believe that the gain would only be around 10 HP. However, it would have cost upwards of $1500 to install. Slightly higher on my car because of the supercharger. The engine actually has to be lifted off the mounts about 1.5" There would have been a nice increase in torque but still wasn't worth it to me.

FYI!I had American Long Tube Headers installed with High Flow Cats, X pipe and tipped off with Ford Racing AKA Borla Stinger 8 HP and 12 Torque gains with a conservative tune. RWHP 442 and RWT 392. I have a friend that install JBA LT OR and got 2 hp gain. So what I am telling you is that the stock exhaust is pretty dam efficient. All tuning was done on a Mustang Dyamometer, as you probably know you would get about 12 to 15% higher hp/t on a Dynojet.

I also installed Alum. DS, Billet LCA w/relocate kit, UCA adj., adj. PH bar and DS loop.

Next week installing Alcohol Injection System, 14 PSI boost and 60LB injectors.

Going to the track Oct.12th to run the rocket on MT Street cheater slicks 26x11.50x17

410 gears will post the result if everything stays together.

SGTSC808068.jpg

I just installed American Racing Long Tube headers with Borla Axle backs. I love it. I had JBA LT's on my 05 as well. If you have a mustang make it sound like one. If you have a Shelby make definetly make it sound like one. Also had OFF road X installed.

It definitely sounds sick!!!

really thinking about headers, any thoughts.. looking for a little more grunt..

i just installed DynaTech full length headers and hi- flow cats , and as noted above, had to unbolt/raise engine, but they are a well engineered product. Did Shelby / Pax SC with intercooler , FR 39 Lb FI, dual fuel pumps at same. It will hit the dyno later this week and can let you know results. I am willing to bet the full headers & cats make some difference, but probably not worth the bucks ( lottsa of them) on a rwhp per $ basis.

On the other hand, I am going a "hi-flow" approach versus "hi boost" to try and see what power I can reliably get out of the 4.6 3v. I know I can get more with additional boost, but thats a reliability-diminishin approach I have already explored in another school of hard knocks class.

bob

FYI!I had American Long Tube Headers installed with High Flow Cats, X pipe and tipped off with Ford Racing AKA Borla Stinger 8 HP and 12 Torque gains with a conservative tune. RWHP 442 and RWT 392. I have a friend that install JBA LT OR and got 2 hp gain. So what I am telling you is that the stock exhaust is pretty dam efficient. All tuning was done on a Mustang Dyamometer, as you probably know you would get about 12 to 15% higher hp/t on a Dynojet.

I also installed Alum. DS, Billet LCA w/relocate kit, UCA adj., adj. PH bar and DS loop.

Going to the track Oct.12th to run the rocket on MT Street cheater slicks 26x11.50x17

Louie, nice setup...I think you may have me beat (if it holds together). Looking forwad to seeing your ET slips posted. Any guesses on where you think you'll wind up time wise? If enough people start racing SGT's there should be a Pinned thread at the top to post the SGT ET's. Of course any S197 GT with the same mods will do the same times, but it would be nice to know that there are SGT's out there representing.

I'm thinking about 15 or 16 x 10 inch wheels (with the right offsets) and running the MT ET Street Radials.

What type/size 17 inch wheels did you wind up using? Which part number MT tire (ET Street, ET Street Radial, other)?

SGTSC808068.jpg

Let me know what track, I would like to come out and see her run on the 12th.

SGTSC808068.jpg

Hi

Reading that you are adding 60 lb injestors? Were you able to find 60 pounders with the correct electrical connectors(if so where) or are you using E1 to E6 adaptors ?

Thanks

Bob

Let me know what track, I would like to come out and see her run on the 12th.

I will going to Island speedway

Hi

Reading that you are adding 60 lb injestors? Were you able to find 60 pounders with the correct electrical connectors(if so where) or are you using E1 to E6 adaptors ?

Thanks

Bob

Yes my local shop Reelspeed will be adding the adaptors.

Sorry it's been a long time. Yes it is Island Dragway NJ

Louie

Coming to Jersey!, well that just made it alot easier. (for me)

We used to drag race there in the 80's, it used to flood really bad after a rain back then.

We'll have to talk before the 12th, cant wait to see your 1st Place Shelby (Sayville) run.

Louie, nice setup...I think you may have me beat (if it holds together). Looking forwad to seeing your ET slips posted. Any guesses on where you think you'll wind up time wise? If enough people start racing SGT's there should be a Pinned thread at the top to post the SGT ET's. Of course any S197 GT with the same mods will do the same times, but it would be nice to know that there are SGT's out there representing.

I'm thinking about 15 or 16 x 10 inch wheels (with the right offsets) and running the MT ET Street Radials.

What type/size 17 inch wheels did you wind up using? Which part number MT tire (ET Street, ET Street Radial, other)?

Go to Brenspeed they have a special 17x8 stock silver bullit rim with MT Street 26x11.50 x17 pt#3743 $629.00.

It seens to to the smallest rim to fit 197.

Archived