TEAM SHELBY FORUM

vehicle break in period

bruces

I also waited until 1000 miles. Now I am driving it like I stole it. Steve

The manual says vary your speed for the first 1,000 miles but it does not say anything about excessive engine speed. I am taking it pretty easy for the first 1,000. I am almost there!

I left the dealership spinning the tires and haven't looked back......

I have also heard this break in strategy for other engines - boats etc. - don't drive the same speed for long distances. For example when on the highway vary your cruise control every few minutes during break in period. In the city this obviously should not be an issue with the varying speed.

I was taking it easy at first but not any more. Especially since I put a post it on my steering wheel telling me to turn off that dang Traction Control.

It's a lot more fun to "drive it like I stole it!"

3000 miles on mine and its not "broke" yet! Wheels still spin and everything. I did have to put gas in it a few times. :)

• 2 weeks later...

i been over 100 mph once hehe...now my rings will probly go ~pttttt~

i'm around 500 miles on my OD right now

my tach needle hasnt gotten over 4500 yet

some say drive it like u would normally drive it, others say vary your speed like it says in the owners manual....

when i bought my harley-davidson they told me to vary my speed for the first 500 miles and not go over 50mph the 1st 100 miles

has anyone ever installed a high performace clutch in their SGT yet? would it hurt the drive train?

I also waited until 1000 miles. Now I am driving it like I stole it. Steve

Hmm...well I put just barely 500 miles on the car over the 3-4 days John let me borrow it in Vegas. So you are saying when I get back I should probably get another 500 on there....

That is going to be SO hard to wait. I've waited long enough and it will have the S/C then. Guess I will need to go visit as many people in town as I can...and avoid the highways.

:P

Archived