TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT

07SGT4578

NEWB HERE, WITH A FEW QUESTIONS. I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF TRADING MY BABY (03 LIGHTNING) FOR A SHELBY GT........IVE LOOKED AT SEVERAL ON THE INTERNET AND ONE REAL CLOSE. I HAVE TO ADMIT I DONT THINK I WAS AS IMPRESSED AS I THOUGHT I WOULD BE. DONT FLAME YET. I BEAT ON HER PRETTY GOOD THE SEAT OF THE PANTS FEEL FELT JUST SO SO. WHEN I GOT DONE DRIVING THE CAR I LOOKED HER OVER REAL GOOD, AND CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, BUT I THOUGHT THE STRIPES WHERE PAINTED ON? I WAS VERY UNIMPRESSED THAT THE FACTORY FOG LIGHT SWITCH WAS THERE BUT DID NOTHING. BEHIND THE BILLET GRILLE WAS THE EMPTY FOG LIGHT HOUSING AND WHAT WAS LEFT OF THE BUTCHERED HONEYCOMB GRILLE. DONT GET ME WRONG IM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS CAR AND COMPARING TO A GT500. SPEED IS NOT WHY IM WANTING THIS CAR. PLUS IN MY OPINION THE GT IS A WHOLE LOT NICER OF A CAR THAN THE GT500. ANY REPLYS GUYS?

NEWB HERE, WITH A FEW QUESTIONS. I AM SERIOUSLY THINKING OF TRADING MY BABY (03 LIGHTNING) FOR A SHELBY GT........IVE LOOKED AT SEVERAL ON THE INTERNET AND ONE REAL CLOSE. I HAVE TO ADMIT I DONT THINK I WAS AS IMPRESSED AS I THOUGHT I WOULD BE. DONT FLAME YET. I BEAT ON HER PRETTY GOOD THE SEAT OF THE PANTS FEEL FELT JUST SO SO. WHEN I GOT DONE DRIVING THE CAR I LOOKED HER OVER REAL GOOD, AND CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG, BUT I THOUGHT THE STRIPES WHERE PAINTED ON? I WAS VERY UNIMPRESSED THAT THE FACTORY FOG LIGHT SWITCH WAS THERE BUT DID NOTHING. BEHIND THE BILLET GRILLE WAS THE EMPTY FOG LIGHT HOUSING AND WHAT WAS LEFT OF THE BUTCHERED HONEYCOMB GRILLE. DONT GET ME WRONG IM NOT INTERESTED IN THIS CAR AND COMPARING TO A GT500. SPEED IS NOT WHY IM WANTING THIS CAR. PLUS IN MY OPINION THE GT IS A WHOLE LOT NICER OF A CAR THAN THE GT500. ANY REPLYS GUYS?

Dr,

Check out this link:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=2073

The stripes are not painted (may get mine painted some day), the fog light switch is just waiting on me to add driving lights from SAI, and I can't see the butcherd grill from behind the steering wheel.

By the way, I traded in my C6 Corvette for my SGT, and I couldn't be happier. I have never seen a car with a back seat get so much attention and sound so good.

Dr,

Check out this link:

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=2073

The stripes are not painted (may get mine painted some day), the fog light switch is just waiting on me to add driving lights from SAI, and I can't see the butcherd grill from behind the steering wheel.

By the way, I traded in my C6 Corvette for my SGT, and I couldn't be happier. I have never seen a car with a back seat get so much attention and sound so good.

ARE THE GRILLES ALL THAT WAY, OR DID THIS ONE GET MADE ON FRIDAY OR WHAT?

DRHVAC,

Welcome to the forum. The SGT in my personal opinion is not a car for everyone. If your looking for the toughest kid on the block, then this is not the car for you. This car is about balance, history and looks. It is not the smoothest riding car. Take this car on a back road with lots of curves and then tell me how you like it. If you need/want more hp, a few more styling cues, you make a call to SAI and have them add a few things(hood, SC, brake upgrade, wheels, etc) to make it a one off truly unique vehicle. Put this car in a sea of Mustangs and it becomes a magnet. I don't know what it is about this car, but really, really draws attention, the stance, the styling cues. There were some things I didn't like about the car, but I felt that the options I had put on the car, corrected the issues I had with the car, but to each his own. In the end you have to decide and be comfortable with your purchase. Perhaps you should read back through the threads and let the good and bad soak in and think about it. I don't recall anybody regretting purchasing this car, most if not all of us absolutely love this car. The one comment at the shows that we hear over and over is, that car is badass!. Good luck on your decision.

Dave

DRHVAC, I traded my 02'L in on my 07sgt.

These 2 ford's are different in all respect's.

I think the shelby looks and drives better than the L.

I think the shelby drive's a little better than a c5 vette.

The shelby does lack the horsepower and ride the L has but I think it makes up for in looks,handling and mpg.

I test drove my 07sgt on saturday I put 11mi on it and thought about it over the weekend I went back to the dealer on monday and drove the car again putting 14mi on it.

I was happy and made my deal .

I do wish that SAI would have given the cars more horepower but the car is balanced and fun to drive.

My L had a 4lb lower ,2lb upper,cai and a custom tune.

The shelby to me seems to lack about 100hp and something's just seem to be made and are cheap compared to the L, but I love the car.

Test drive one then think about it.

I have to agree with Matt. This car isn't for most folks, even mustang folks. Either you really want one or you don't. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground like "I kinda want one"

+1

I had the opportunity to see a black SGT beside a black GT500 at my local Ford dealership a while back, and I probably stood there for 20 minutes trying to decide whether to pony up the ADM on a GT500 or go the SGT route. I really felt like I needed the horsepower of the GT500, but the longer I stood there, the more I liked the looks of the SGT and am glad that I went the small block route.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GT500 and hope to add one to my collection someday. My neighbor has a grabber orange one and it FLIES, but the 275 pound lighter SGT seems to handle better. Add the Shelby/Paxton supercharger to the SGT and you'll have the best of both worlds, and for a lot less than the GT500s continue to sell for.

At the end of the day, if you get all nostalgic about the old Shelbys and want an honest-to-God Shelby Mustang that you can enjoy without worrying about harming a 40 year-old car's value or components (assuming you can afford an early Shelby...), I say go for it; you won't be disappointed. If you just want a "special" Mustang GT, wait for the 2008 Bullitt; it will be similar in performance and exclusivity, but (I'm guessing) not as expensive or with as many "quirks".

Now that is funny, referring to a 911 as flawless. They are a lot of fun but they have their list of quirks also.

robin

People ask me all the time, "does this thing go fast?" and I tell them, "I don't know...I drive her as slow as possible so everyone has a chance to look at her!"

Personally, it is not "fast" but I find her "quick." Once I painted on the stripes, added the 20" black Razor rims and switched the billit grille for the CS8 grille with driving lights - she became "perfect" to me.

I am a graphic designer and also a product of the 60's. That combination said, I just love the way this car looks - the stance - the lines...and with the "spoiler delete" side scoops, hood scoop, etc., you cannot find a nicer looking Mustang on the road. A huge fan of 1960's era car design, I also find this car very "retro" in its emmulation of the '66 Shelby.

I've attended several show & shines over the summer and, hands down, folks love the SGT over the GT500. HANDS DOWN. And being a bit bias, I totally agree.

If I want more power - then I will save some money and take her down to SAI one day and get the supercharger installed. But for now, I'll take "quick" and "looks" over what the GT500 has to offer.

I hope that my attached photos might convince you that the SGT is an awesome vehicle!

Shelby026.jpg

Shelby033.jpg

trophy001.jpg

100_3013.jpg

100_2991.jpg

Well, if you look closely at the back GT grill behind the Shelby aluminum grill, it looks like the old Mustang grill is there to provide strength and good support for the aluminum grill. The Shelby grill pulls back pretty snugly against the black grill, and is attached to the black grill. Also I think the black background helps give more contrast to the aluminum, making the look cleaner. Like 0701 (above) said the fog light switch and connections are al there (installed) if someone wants to add fog or driving lights.

This isn't meant to be defensive regarding the SGT. But I personally like the way these 2 features were handled. I would rather have the black grill behind the aluminum vs nothing there.

And I can add fog lights when available, installing them myself.

So I don't really see these issues as negative.

Now that is funny, referring to a 911 as flawless. They are a lot of fun but they have their list of quirks also.

robin

I agree. I have been a member of the Porsche Club of America for over 30 years (yikes!). And I've owned my share of 911's (plus other Porsche models). Believe me, they are far from perfect.

Sure, in many aspects they are "better" than the SGT. But for twice the price, they <bleep> well should be. :lol:

DRHVAC,

Welcome to the forum. The SGT in my personal opinion is not a car for everyone. If your looking for the toughest kid on the block, then this is not the car for you. This car is about balance, history and looks. It is not the smoothest riding car. Take this car on a back road with lots of curves and then tell me how you like it. If you need/want more hp, a few more styling cues, you make a call to SAI and have them add a few things(hood, SC, brake upgrade, wheels, etc) to make it a one off truly unique vehicle. Put this car in a sea of Mustangs and it becomes a magnet. I don't know what it is about this car, but really, really draws attention, the stance, the styling cues. There were some things I didn't like about the car, but I felt that the options I had put on the car, corrected the issues I had with the car, but to each his own. In the end you have to decide and be comfortable with your purchase. Perhaps you should read back through the threads and let the good and bad soak in and think about it. I don't recall anybody regretting purchasing this car, most if not all of us absolutely love this car. The one comment at the shows that we hear over and over is, that car is badass!. Good luck on your decision.

Dave

thanx dave c, yours was the kind of response i was looking for. i know the two are very diff. my L is a stocker, i did not buy it to race or drive fast, as will i when i buy a sgt. i am however a perfectionist and one would think to put a name on a car, as shelby has once again graced us to do, you would get a little more quality than cutting out the pony in the grille with a sawzall. you would think that for what these cost they couldhave came up with some support for the grille. i have a 2007 ford f150 that is my daily driver and a 67 restomod mustang coupe to go fast in the L and/or the sgt are for looks and nice sun shiny days. i want one of these cars cause it will be the only chance for me to own a real shelby because i will not pay the premiums that a classic shelby brings. nor will i buy a sgt or any vehicle for that matter for any more than sticker and i wont have too. thanx for your imput, i now really want a sgt.

thanx dave c, yours was the kind of response i was looking for. i know the two are very diff. my L is a stocker, i did not buy it to race or drive fast, as will i when i buy a sgt. i am however a perfectionist and one would think to put a name on a car, as shelby has once again graced us to do, you would get a little more quality than cutting out the pony in the grille with a sawzall. you would think that for what these cost they couldhave came up with some support for the grille. i have a 2007 ford f150 that is my daily driver and a 67 restomod mustang coupe to go fast in the L and/or the sgt are for looks and nice sun shiny days. i want one of these cars cause it will be the only chance for me to own a real shelby because i will not pay the premiums that a classic shelby brings. nor will i buy a sgt or any vehicle for that matter for any more than sticker and i wont have too. thanx for your imput, i now really want a sgt.

You really got to know what you get with this package. It is a handling pacakge and mild performance upgrade along with the retro styling of the 60's. That and the Hurst with that big white ball. Now you add the Shelby name and there you have it. A collaboration of Ford and Shelby. It was crude then and the componants are much more refined today. As far as your comments on not a quality piece, I find it to be quite different. I owned an 03 and 04 SVT Cobra. This is by far a superior car in refinement and design, but thats just my opinion. It is a looker and attention grabber and it does handle great. Could some of of modifications to the grille have been better thought out? I think so also. But I can fix that and I'm sure if it bothers you...you will find a solution also. They had 6000 of these to get out and were late on the start and 08's have been there waiting for some time. It becomes a profit/productivitiy thing in the end. It does look good from the distance and then you get real close and you see the holes for the factory fogs. But just enjoy the car for what it is. It's great just straight! :)

I agree. I have been a member of the Porsche Club of America for over 30 years (yikes!). And I've owned my share of 911's (plus other Porsche models). Believe me, they are far from perfect.

Sure, in many aspects they are "better" than the SGT. But for twice the price, they <bleep> well should be. :lol:

Finally you got my point :D Now that we are on the same page maybe the dude should just go Rossa Corsa Cavillano, now that is a flawless marque indeed! :D

DRHVAC,

Dave

Amen Brother! B)

st hear I had a 2002 lightning ;) 409 hp ,, this shelby is one of the best car's I have ever had !!!, good service from SHELBY and FORD get one you will not be sorry stg

yea the SGT does have that original butchered grille behind the billet, but why does it have to be perfect? its a muscle car not a BMW.

it gives it character.

ITS A BUTCHER! YEAHHHHHH !!!

\m/ ROCK AND ROLL \m/

Edit: i want to add that ever since i bought this car i havent even touched my harley-davidson....this car is extremely fun to drive...i may wind up selling my bike if i dont get an itch to ride it again. seems like ever since i sold my first Harley i just kinda lost that lovin feelin on a bike. i went from a harley 1200 sporster custom to a harley softail fatboy...the sportster was less comfy to ride but was more fun to ride because it was quicker handling. maybe thats why i bought this Shelby because it reminds me of that quick handling that i miss so much :(

my first Harley was the Red bike: 1200 Sporter

My current Harley is the Silver bike: the Fatboy

Archived