TEAM SHELBY FORUM

does changing your tune void warranty???? NO!!!

frankieboo69

according to the"Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

warranties can not be voided just from doing any aftermarket upgrades to your auto unless it can be proven that the item was the cause!!! B)

here are a couple of links with info regarding this!

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

I have also e-mailed Ford Corp. to confirm this is still in effect which i believe it is!!!!

Its also good to hear it straight from the Horses mouth"Ford" as soon as i hear back from them ill copy and past their corrispondance back here!!!! ;)

Have a good 1 !!!! Shelby Bro's!!!!!!!! B)

Frankie

according to the"Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

warranties can not be voided just from doing any aftermarket upgrades to your auto unless it can be proven that the item was the cause!!! B)

Frankie

Frankie--care to share with the forum in what Law School you graduated from and what States you are licensed to practice law?

You and lots of others 'read' into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act what you want it to say--not what it actually says. Do you know the history of this act?

The act says you cannot deny warranty JUST by the addition of aftermaket parts. In the 'past' before SEMA got this through Congress just the addition of an aftermarket part was used deny the ENTIRE warranty of a car. Put aftermarket mufflers on the car, new spark plug wires, fancy chromed engine bits...and bingo...the waterpump goes out and they (dealer/manufacturer) would deny warranty because you 'modified' the car--although one had nothing to do with the other. Radio fails--sorry --you modified the car--no warranty..etc

The Magnuson Act is a great help in such areas but it is not the protection you are reading into this..."Chip" the car and the seat belt connector fails--fine--they cannot deny the waranty. Chip the car and you have DRIVE TRAIN issues and you will have issues. They just have to show (READ AS CLAIM) some connection and they do not have to prove anything else...Chip the car...it runs lean...you burn a valve..No WARRANTY...THEY WILL STATE JUST THAT THE CHIP LEAD TO THE FAILURE AND THAT IS THEIR PROOF. Yes you can try to fight it...hire a lawyer and expert to prove that the valve went bad for some other reason...nothing like spending $15,000 to prove your case and get a free engine rebuild that would have cost you $5000 in the first place....

Chip the engine to increase horsepower and the cluth-trans-rearend goes and they point to the chip...saying you modified the engine ...increased Horsepower and Torque and that is why the engine, clutch, trany, rearend failed...and bingo--no warranty.

They do not have to 'prove' anything in the way you are thinking of 'proof'...they just have to point to a fairly believable excuse and that is it (they have made a prima facia case--Such as will prevail until contradicted and overcome by other evidence)...you get to try to unprove it and that can be very costly.

Ford builds their cars to certain specs for very specific reasons...benefit/risk analysis. They design and build for 150,000 miles..KNOWING that some parts will and do fail early...that have a darn good estimate of what the fialure rate will be...what warranty costs associated with anticipated failures will be...if you change the 'tune'..you change Ford's parameters...their anticiapted fialure/warranty rate and thus their price structure for the car. They didn't warranty for that 'change' and they will win in court...

Again..there has to be some link--chip to a water pump...less likely...chip and burned value...oh yeah--your toast. Chip changes RPM limits etc..and you float a valve, break a spring --no warranty--you changed the rules Ford was playing by.

Jut know that "that link" is nothing like you think it is..It is a fine line...and as my good buddy Joh Wayne said..I'd hate to live on the difference. But hay...chip away....and if you lose the engine jump up and down all you want screaming about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...the Service Manager has heard it all before---and will laugh you out of his shop.

Oh--the old fix up of rechipping---doen't work if your broken down 200 miles from home and towed to a local shop...oh yeah...its also called Fraud...a felony in most states...

OH--have you seen anyone from SAI jump on board here and say 'Chip" away..no warranty issues--no they haven't... And won't. But hey--give them a telephone call and ask - let us know what they tell you. As far as the chip companies--they are not Ford & SAI--their opinion as to Ford & SAI honoring warranties does mean squat.

Can't wait to see the posting you have from Ford specificlly stating that rechipping the car is perfectly fine with them. Again--what I expect you will get from them is a canned statement stating that your warranty is automatically cancelled..but that the modification has to be related to the problem...blah blah blah..

Frankie--care to share with the forum in what Law School you graduated from and what States you are licensed to practice law?

You and lots of others 'read' into the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act what you want it to say--not what it actually says. Do you know the history of this act?

The act says you cannot deny warranty JUST by the additon of aftermaket parts. In the 'past' before SEMA got this through just the addition of an aftermarket part was used deny the ENTIRE warranty of a car. Put aftermarket mufflers on the car, new spark plug wires, fancy chromed engine bits...and bingo...the waterpump goes out and they (dealer/manufacturer) would deny warranty becuase you 'modified' the car--although one had nothing to do with the other. Radio fails--sorry --you modified the car--no warranty..etc

The Magnuson Act is a great help in such areas but it is not the protection you are reading into this..."Chip" the car and the seat belt connector fails--fine--they cannot deny the waranty. Chip the car and you have DRIVE TRAIN issues and you will have issues. They just have to show (READ AS CLAIM) some connection and they do not have to prove anything else...Chip the car...it runs lean...you burn a valve..No WARRANTY...THEY WILL STATE JUST THAT THE CHIP LEAD TO THE FAILURE AND THAT IS THEIR PROOF. Yes you can try to fight it...hire a lawyer and expert to prove that the valve went bad for some other reason...nothing like spending $15,000 to prove your case and get an engine rebuild that would have cost you $5000 in the first place....

Chip the engine to increase horsepower and the cluth-trans-rearend goes and they point to the chip...saying to modified the engine ...increased Horsepower and torque and that is why the engine, clutch, trany, rearend failed...and bingo--no warranty.

They do not have to 'prove' anything in the way you are thinking of 'proof'...they just have to point to a fairly believable excuse and that is it (they have made a prima facia case--Such as will prevail until contradicted and overcome by other evidence)...you get to try to unprove it and that can be very costly.

Ford builds their cars to certain specs for very specific reasons...benefit/risk analysis. they design and build for 150,000 miles..KNOWING that some parts will and do fail early...that have a darn good estimate of what the fialure rate will be...what warranty costs associated with anticipated failures will be...if you change the 'tune'..you change Ford's parameters...their anticiapted fialure/warranty rate and thus their price structure with the car. They didn't warranty for that and they will win in court...

Again..there has to be some link--chip to a water pump...less likely...chip and burned value...oh yeah--your toast. But that link is nothing like you think it is..It is a fine line...and as my good buddy Joh Wayne said..I'd hate to live on the difference. But hay...chip away....and if you lose the einge jump up and down all you want about the Magnuson-Moss Waratny Act...the Service Manager has heard it all before---and will laugh you out of his shop.

Oh--the old fix up of rechipping---doen't work if your broken down 200 miles from home and towed to a local shop...oh yeah...its also called Fraud...a felony in most states...

OH--have you seen anyone from SAI jump on board here and say 'Chip" away..no warranty issues--no they haven't... And won't. but hey--give them a telephone call and ask.

Can't wait to see the posting you have from Ford specificlly stating that rechipping the car is perfectly fine with them. Again--what I expect you will get from them is a canned statement stating that your warranty is automatically cancelled..but that the modification has to be related to the problem...blah blah blah..

In 1998 I did a Cobra Vortech springs exhaust etc... my Ford Dealer never hassled me at all about service issues including the replacment of a trans. Unless they can point to the mod as the absolute cause of the issue I don't think its a problem. Putting the 11psi Whipple on my GT and the chip mods come from Ford.

In 1998 I did a Cobra Vortech springs exhaust etc... my Ford Dealer never hassled me at all about service issues including the replacment of a trans. Unless they can point to the mod as the absolute cause of the issue I don't think its a problem. Putting the 11psi Whipple on my GT and the chip mods come from Ford.

If your scared................ :o

Keep your tuner in your car so if it breaks, you will have it with you to change the tune back to stock, Then, Disconect your battery for about 5 min. Then, Reconnect. Call the tow truck (Take the tuner out of the car)and have it towed in and they wont know squat. If you leave the other than stock tune in your car and they notice it, you will raise an eye brow and perhaps a red flag warning.

Mr. Service writer, ah, i don't know? I was driving along and it started acting funny and then nothing????

Now if you add a bunch of other mod's then be prepared for scrutiny, but, for just a tune.............

Forget about it! :)

No tune you put in your car is going to hurt it unless you have some moron tuning it for you.................

Your best plan is to be friendly with your dealership that you go to for service. If your a "Regular" you wont have a problem. If you bought it there and are a "Regular" you wont have a problem. If you did not buy it there and all you ever bring it in for is warranty and nothing else, they will be less willing to be your friend , if you know what i mean?

If your scared................ :o

Keep your tuner in your car so if it breaks, you will have it with you to change the tune back to stock, Then, Disconect your battery for about 5 min. Then, Reconnect. Call the tow truck (Take the tuner out of the car)and have it towed in and they wont know squat. If you leave the other than stock tune in your car and they notice it, you will raise an eye brow and perhaps a red flag warning.

Mr. Service writer, ah, i don't know? I was driving along and it started acting funny and then nothing????

Now if you add a bunch of other mod's then be prepared for scrutiny, but, for just a tune.............

Forget about it! :)

No tune you put in your car is going to hurt it unless you have some moron tuning it for you.................

Your best plan is to be friendly with your dealership that you go to for service. If your a "Regular" you wont have a problem. If you bought it there and are a "Regular" you wont have a problem. If you did not buy it there and all you ever bring it in for is warranty and nothing else, they will be less willing to be your friend , if you know what i mean?

If you do your own oil changes, filters, etc., while under the warranty period, why do you need to take the car into the dealer unless there is something wrong? I've looked at the owner's manual and I can't find anything like my Toyotas require for preventive maintenance (auto transmission flush, timing belt, etc.) that needs to be done to this Mustang.

I may be missing something though. Can anyone straighten me out?

This topic can be debate forever, and the various feelings and opinions will never end. Bottom line is, if you do anything to your car, if nothing else you will risk the hassle of Ford telling you that you've voided the warranty. Some will have less risk than others, depending upon the dealer you use and who you know. Each owner must weigh his own risk and his own level of patience, as well as whether or not you even care about the warranty, and then decide accordingly.

Personally, I have already utilized warranty service by having a large amount of work performed, including a clutch and flywheel replacement, so I am very glad my warranty is in place, and I intend to keep it there.

I have no experience with a Mustang and warrantee issues. But I do own a 04 Ford diesel truck and there are diesel websites that have hashed and rehash this topic. My service manager told me (and they have always been straight) that even if I set everything back to stock specs it would leave codes that I could not eliminate. He inferred that they could wipe the slate clean before sending the info to Ford and his dealership would probably stand behind most drive train problems I might have unless it was obvious abuse. I have purchased a lot of iron from these guys. But, if I ever had problems on the road – forget it. So, given it has more power than I really need anyway I have left it stock. Most opinions are that if you play you have better be ready to pay. My Shelby’s driveline , once I get a hold of it, will remain stock at least until the warrantee runs out.

I have no experience with a Mustang and warrantee issues. But I do own a 04 Ford diesel truck and there are diesel websites that have hashed and rehash this topic. My service manager told me (and they have always been straight) that even if I set everything back to stock specs it would leave codes that I could not eliminate. He inferred that they could wipe the slate clean before sending the info to Ford and his dealership would probably stand behind most drive train problems I might have unless it was obvious abuse. I have purchased a lot of iron from these guys. But, if I ever had problems on the road – forget it. So, given it has more power than I really need anyway I have left it stock. Most opinions are that if you play you have better be ready to pay. My Shelby’s driveline , once I get a hold of it, will remain stock at least until the warrantee runs out.

I work there and No, it wont leave a code with the exception of the battery being disconected................

Get it? wink, wink..... :)

If you do your own oil changes, filters, etc., while under the warranty period, why do you need to take the car into the dealer unless there is something wrong? I've looked at the owner's manual and I can't find anything like my Toyotas require for preventive maintenance (auto transmission flush, timing belt, etc.) that needs to be done to this Mustang.

I may be missing something though. Can anyone straighten me out?

Your not missing anything.

The point being is that there are alot of people that bring thier cars in for regular service, ie: Oil changes, rotations, trans services, flushes, Alignments, Brakes,ect.... That get a alot better treatment then the people who do not. Trust me, I see it everyday. So if you bring your car in and your tune made it go lean for what ever reason that somebody else put in and they find out, your done.......But the burden of proof is thiers.

My point being is that, if you alter the car in anyway shape or form other then how you purchased it will give the dealership footing to deny you warranty on a specific part if it can be proved to have caused a failure to the part that failed. For example, A S/C, Blower (Rod thru block, Piston noise, vibration in the drive train), Trans brake on your automatic that just went south or that just blew the ring and pinion out of your 8.8 because you launched it at 5000 rpm. Thats why cars have bad traction issues because if they hooked up, we would be braking stuff left and right.

Bottom line is:

Putting a different tune in the car will not give any real gain in Hp other then what you have already based on a stock mustang gt. What it does change is the "Personality" of the car. I like to have options with performance. One weekend i might be carving the corners with my "Shelby Tune", The weekend after that, i might be at the local 1/8 mile smokin the compitition to which i would want a more aggressive reponsive car. But thats just me. :)

Being you have a shelby and it has an"Aftermarket" tune already from ford racing should tell you something? :)

The act says you cannot deny warranty JUST by the addition of aftermaket parts. In the 'past' before SEMA got this through Congress just the addition of an aftermarket part was used deny the ENTIRE warranty of a car. Put aftermarket mufflers on the car, new spark plug wires, fancy chromed engine bits...and bingo...the waterpump goes out and they (dealer/manufacturer) would deny warranty because you 'modified' the car--although one had nothing to do with the other. Radio fails--sorry --you modified the car--no warranty..etc

The Magnuson Act is a great help in such areas but it is not the protection you are reading into this..."Chip" the car and the seat belt connector fails--fine--they cannot deny the waranty. Chip the car and you have DRIVE TRAIN issues and you will have issues. They just have to show (READ AS CLAIM) some connection and they do not have to prove anything else...Chip the car...it runs lean...you burn a valve..No WARRANTY...THEY WILL STATE JUST THAT THE CHIP LEAD TO THE FAILURE AND THAT IS THEIR PROOF. Yes you can try to fight it...hire a lawyer and expert to prove that the valve went bad for some other reason...nothing like spending $15,000 to prove your case and get a free engine rebuild that would have cost you $5000 in the first place....

Chip the engine to increase horsepower and the cluth-trans-rearend goes and they point to the chip...saying you modified the engine ...increased Horsepower and Torque and that is why the engine, clutch, trany, rearend failed...and bingo--no warranty.

Ford builds their cars to certain specs for very specific reasons...benefit/risk analysis. They design and build for 150,000 miles..KNOWING that some parts will and do fail early...that have a darn good estimate of what the fialure rate will be...what warranty costs associated with anticipated failures will be...if you change the 'tune'..you change Ford's parameters...their anticiapted fialure/warranty rate and thus their price structure for the car. They didn't warranty for that 'change' and they will win in court...

Again..there has to be some link--chip to a water pump...less likely...chip and burned value...oh yeah--your toast. Chip changes RPM limits etc..and you float a valve, break a spring --no warranty--you changed the rules Ford was playing by.

Jut know that "that link" is nothing like you think it is..It is a fine line...and as my good buddy Joh Wayne said..I'd hate to live on the difference. But hay...chip away....and if you lose the engine jump up and down all you want screaming about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act...the Service Manager has heard it all before---and will laugh you out of his shop.

OH--have you seen anyone from SAI jump on board here and say 'Chip" away..no warranty issues--no they haven't... And won't. But hey--give them a telephone call and ask - let us know what they tell you. As far as the chip companies--they are not Ford & SAI--their opinion as to Ford & SAI honoring warranties does mean squat.

"rechipping"

Thats old school by way of todays technoligy as far as 05 and up stangs go. You simply "re-flash" your puter now. :)

This topic can be debate forever, and the various feelings and opinions will never end. Bottom line is, if you do anything to your car, if nothing else you will risk the hassle of Ford telling you that you've voided the warranty. Some will have less risk than others, depending upon the dealer you use and who you know. Each owner must weigh his own risk and his own level of patience, as well as whether or not you even care about the warranty, and then decide accordingly.

Personally, I have already utilized warranty service by having a large amount of work performed, including a clutch and flywheel replacement, so I am very glad my warranty is in place, and I intend to keep it there.

+1 ilmor

You had your flywheel and clutch replaced already?

You had your flywheel and clutch replaced already?

Yes - my other thread about my exhaust system rattling and banging explains the reason in detail, but the short story is that a faulty clutch was causing my tranny / drivetrain to move so much that it was causing my exhaust system to hit the body/frame in certain close spaces; a replacement cured the problem.

Yes - my other thread about my exhaust system rattling and banging explains the reason in detail, but the short story is that a faulty clutch was causing my tranny / drivetrain to move so much that it was causing my exhaust system to hit the body/frame in certain close spaces; a replacement cured the problem.

Well,

I was hoping to here that you were doing burnouts and and having all sorts of fun, Come on! Lie a little! :)

Glad you got it sorted out though..................... :)

04Retro - You have to be the MOST negative person I have EVER met in my entire life time of 49 years! Everything you say has a negative conotation to it, nothing ever postive. This is a mental issue that you REALLY should look into, seriously. While mosty everyone I know sees the glass half full you ALWAYS see it more than half empty. See a doctor before it is too late! B)

PS: Got to love our Shelby's though!

Look, it all comes down to who has the most to loose and who has the most $$$. In both cases it's Ford. To you it's $4K repair bill. To them it's an increased liability of much more. You all know the drill. You can play the game and see if you win or if you loose. It's like a spin of the wheel but just like in Vegas the house has better odds. In the end, do what you want, but understand the risk. If the benefit in your eyes outweighs the risk go for it! Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll loose, but do it know that can be the case and, like Ford, plan your risk and exposure properly.

Look, it all comes down to who has the most to loose and who has the most $$$. In both cases it's Ford. To you it's $4K repair bill. To them it's an increased liability of much more. You all know the drill. You can play the game and see if you win or if you loose. It's like a spin of the wheel but just like in Vegas the house has better odds. In the end, do what you want, but understand the risk. If the benefit in your eyes outweighs the risk go for it! Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll loose, but do it know that can be the case and, like Ford, plan your risk and exposure properly.

Agreed! :)

:P ....LMAO, Swedeshelby, I thought you were leaving the forum. I knew it was too good to last. :P

.....Just kidding, I kid.

Socaljafo- I'm back, no! Hello again to you too! :) If you recall I said from time to time I will"check/chime back in", so that was just too much for me to handle and I had to chime. By the way, I know your kidding as we all really do have one thing in common, we love Shelby Mustangs! :)

PS: It really is hard to stay away from this Pony Porn!

04Retro - You have to be the MOST negative person I have EVER met in my entire life time of 49 years! Everything you say has a negative conotation to it, nothing ever postive. This is a mental issue that you REALLY should look into, seriously. While mosty everyone I know sees the glass half full you ALWAYS see it more than half empty. See a doctor before it is too late! B)

PS: Got to love our Shelby's though!

Thnx swedesshelby!!!!!!!!! B)

I thought this was a "forum" u know where people come to ask questions and give advise or coments!!! :D

04 see the doc!!!!!!

Socaljafo- I'm back, no! Hello again to you too! :) If you recall I said from time to time I will"check/chime back in", so that was just too much for me to handle and I had to chime. By the way, I know your kidding as we all really do have one thing in common, we love Shelby Mustangs! :)

PS: It really is hard to stay away from this Pony Porn!

Well i got the answer from Ford today , Here it is!!!!! B)

Dear Frankie,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship

Center regarding your interest in doing some upgrades to your 2007 Ford

Mustang GT.

All alterations or modifications to Ford Motor Company vehicles must be

done in compliance with all applicable State and Federal statutes and

regulations. The installation or use of any non-Ford product will not

necessarily void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. However, if the

non-Ford product fails or causes a Ford part to fail, the cost of the

repair and any related damage are not covered by warranty. The vehicle

owner would need to look to the manufacturer or installer of the non-Ford

product for repairs. Therefore, Ford Motor Company does not recommend

modifications to your vehicle.

If you have any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us and we

will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,

John

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

For online support visit us at: www.customersaskford.com which contains

answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product

and service information.

[THREAD ID:1-3NUIPA]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 9/3/2007 11:50:31 AM

To:

Subject: Warranty_ESP_questions

Contact Us

First Name: Frankie

Last Name: B

Email Address: bi

Zip/Postal Code: 95004

Daytime Phone: 408-690-

Home Phone: 831-726-

Inquiring About Own Vehicle: Yes

VIN : 1zvht82h975304708

Mileage : 3215

Contacted Dealer: No

Servicing Dealer: sunnyvale ford

Vehicle location: My possession

Home Address: 441

City: aromas

State/Province:ca

Questions: I was thinking of doing some upgrades to my new ShelbyGT and

i

heard from alot of people that if i do a tune upgrade it will void the

warranty. according to Granatelli Motor Sports there tuner the feugo

flash

tuner will not void the warranties , then i was emailed a link to the

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act , saying that the warranties can not be

voided

unless it can be proven that the aftermarket item was the cause of the

problem!

My car is brand new 07 Shelby GT , I love it and want alittle more HP

but

dont want to do anything that will void my warranties especially sence

i

purchased all the upgraded warranty packs including the maintance !

Please write me back with any info that will help me ,

Thanx for your time and help, Frankie

Archived