TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Update on my vehicles stripe issue, those that remember

VEGASTY

I've been doing some research on problems with vinyl stripes. It looks like the GT500 folks don't have many issues with quality either with the material or the installation. The Roush guys seem to have alot of quality problems especially with the quality of the stripe material. Shelby GT guys seem to have problems with the installation of the stripes.

But everyone has problems with rocks and etc. stratching them.

My stripes are very good. I've noticed some light scratches and some tiny bubbles but nothing that needs attention. However, I'm worried about the long term affects on them. $2500 or more for painted stripes is hard to swallow.

You would have hoped that the material chosen for stripes was more durable than it appears to be.

3m is the gold standard for films I'm told, and they're metallic silver is a perfect match, thats a 7 year outdoor film. LOTS of folks can make the stripes up, and you can specify material and get them done considerably cheaper. For these new cars most of us are trying to get warranty work done but in the future I'll be using a different source for my stripes, I had a set made up for my spoiler and they look great.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stripes seem to be of soft material scratch easy, it would seem that with the problem Ford has with sales that they and Shelby would take care of problems, between the stripes and POOR hood scoop it seems Shelby would put out TSB or recall to fix problems, Shelbys name will only sell so many car the problems and lack of help will hurt sales just my opinion

Paint em on!

Should cost about $1,500. to paint and clear coat (Not including the side stripes - which I left as vinyl...because one day I want to add the SC and this would change the striping from "Shelby GT" to "Shelby GT/SC"

My body shop was able to match the painted hood scoop perfectly.

And while you are at painting the stripes...consider getting rid of the Sirius "bug" - fill the hole, and then paint on your stripes. Clean and crips result when finished.

PS: Myself and two other Mustang friends are forming a new CLUB...it is called the "Spoilre Delete Club" and is open to all cars "spoiler-delete" We've secured the domain, www.spoilerdelete.com and plan to get this up and running this winter! More later on that! grin.

Shelby033.jpg

Finally got my my hood restriped yesterday and she is be-u-ti-ful once again. B)

The dealership body shop would not touch them and another local "professional" body shop would not touch them. It's nice to finally find some guys who will admit their limitations and not just jump in and screw it up.

They brought in a professional from out of town and he did a fantastic job.

They even had one of the big bosses bring me my car instead of the service tech. It was kind of nice to get that kind of treatment. Everyone at the dealership was holding their breath the whole time the car was at the shop afraid someone was going to scratch or ding the car and they kept it locked up inside the shop. I'm not used to kind of treatment!

Finally got my my hood restriped yesterday and she is be-u-ti-ful once again

That is Great News...!!!!!!!

They even had one of the big bosses bring me my car instead of the service tech. It was kind of nice to get that kind of treatment

Well...you deserve only the best...........You own a Shelby.................:(and, of course, mainly because you seem like good people)

Good Luck with it now.........

:)

Paint em on!

Should cost about $1,500. to paint and clear coat (Not including the side stripes - which I left as vinyl...because one day I want to add the SC and this would change the striping from "Shelby GT" to "Shelby GT/SC"

My body shop was able to match the painted hood scoop perfectly.

And while you are at painting the stripes...consider getting rid of the Sirius "bug" - fill the hole, and then paint on your stripes. Clean and crips result when finished.

Beautiful! Looks REALLY nice! Even the silly Cobra logo I like for the first time!

I agree with you on the Sirius bug and so glad I did not get that thing. While I enjoyed XM in my old car these are technologies that will one day go the way of the Doo-Doo Bird and all you'll have is a plastic relic (ala 8-track tape) drilled into your trunk. No thanks!

Paint em on!

Hey, BTW! Do you have a site with more pics? I can see they also painted inside where the rear plate is. Nice.

Finally got my my hood restriped yesterday and she is be-u-ti-ful once again. B)

The dealership body shop would not touch them and another local "professional" body shop would not touch them. It's nice to finally find some guys who will admit their limitations and not just jump in and screw it up.

They brought in a professional from out of town and he did a fantastic job.

They even had one of the big bosses bring me my car instead of the service tech. It was kind of nice to get that kind of treatment. Everyone at the dealership was holding their breath the whole time the car was at the shop afraid someone was going to scratch or ding the car and they kept it locked up inside the shop. I'm not used to kind of treatment!

I'm so glad to hear some good news on this issue. Out of all the people here that have had strip problem you are the first one I know that actually completed the process and happy with the outcome. I only hope I am as lucky. My ordeal began last Thursday with my dealer and the process has begun, hopefully with a quick resolve....we'll see. Congrats again and thanks for sharing the almost sureal good news!

Rusty

I'm so glad to hear some good news on this issue. Out of all the people here that have had strip problem you are the first one I know that actually completed the process and happy with the outcome. I only hope I am as lucky. My ordeal began last Thursday with my dealer and the process has begun, hopefully with a quick resolve....we'll see. Congrats again and thanks for sharing the almost sureal good news!

Rusty

LOL....good luck!

Update on my fiasco...remember now I started this effort back in early June! I reported back here in another thread, back in early August, that I FINALLY, after calls, and two sets of pictures, Ford approval to fix my stripes. I even followed up to the guy at Ford with an email thanking him. Well, now that it's been over a month I called my dealer and sent emails. After again getting the run around and Ford not calling back, answering emails, or calling my dealer back I emailed SAI. They called Ford and guess what?!?!? My warranty order was never entered! In fact they have asked that I have my dealer resubmit!

So now I have to call my dealer and begin this process all over again!

Yeah me!

LOL....good luck!

Update on my fiasco...remember now I started this effort back in early June! I reported back here in another thread, back in early August, that I FINALLY, after calls, and two sets of pictures, Ford approval to fix my stripes. I even followed up to the guy at Ford with an email thanking him. Well, now that it's been over a month I called my dealer and sent emails. After again getting the run around and Ford not calling back, answering emails, or calling my dealer back I emailed SAI. They called Ford and guess what?!?!? My warranty order was never entered! In fact they have asked that I have my dealer resubmit!

Yeah me!

Well my car is supposed to be back this tues from the SAI stripe subcontractor, i can;'t wait and i will be taking my time to inspect the whole before i take possession. (ya been total 3 months with out my car :( )

i was at pacific ford in LB and they have 2 07's they can't sell. one on the floor one they never unwrapped sitting in warehouse, the one i saw was number 4,000 something and the scoop was flawless (stripes also), much better than the replacement one i was sent, its really too bad there is no quality control on the replacements , granted its better than the rippled one originally installed but still kinda bummed my new one is not as un-rippled as the one on this car. anyway i'm sure PF will be going below sticker at this point

LOL....good luck!

Yeah me!

That's the same thing I went though. Have the whole deal cancelled and get your service guy to contact the 800# Bud posted. After I did that everything was done in about two weeks.

It should go straight to SAI, no Ford involvement at all.

Man Ford/SAI! Get all the players together and iron this process out!

This is a big negative that there are so many warranty issues in the first place; and that when you attempt to get them fixed, you run into hurdle after hurdle. It shouldn't be this difficult.

LOL....good luck!

Yeah me!

AHHHH SH_T...the depression period starts all over again. I'm trying to get Bud and Doug to get in touch with my dealer to set this thing straight before this nightmare becomes a reality.

I'm sorry you are having to endure this Matt....like others have said over and over, it should not be this way!

Rusty

So far im not having any stripe issues, other then Im missing some and still waiting for them.

But here is my question - why does Shelby use vinyl (or whatever they are) stripes instead of painting them on? It would seem to me that Shelby would want their vehicles to look good. If these vehicles are having stripe issues this early, within the first year, how often are they going to need replaced. And after the first 3/36 is this something we will have to eat the cost of or will they continue to fix them knowing they were never fixed, or correctly fixed, in the first place. I guess my real question is, why did Shelby not paint the stripes on? Is this a money issue or is painted stripes not the best option?

As you can tell I know nothing about stripes other then Im still missing some.

Chuck

So far im not having any stripe issues, other then Im missing some and still waiting for them.

But here is my question - why does Shelby use vinyl (or whatever they are) stripes instead of painting them on? It would seem to me that Shelby would want their vehicles to look good. If these vehicles are having stripe issues this early, within the first year, how often are they going to need replaced. And after the first 3/36 is this something we will have to eat the cost of or will they continue to fix them knowing they were never fixed, or correctly fixed, in the first place. I guess my real question is, why did Shelby not paint the stripes on? Is this a money issue or is painted stripes not the best option?

As you can tell I know nothing about stripes other then Im still missing some.

Chuck

#1 Price

#2 Chance of error

Imagine the cost to SAI if the paint job goes wrong!

AHHHH SH_T...the depression period starts all over again. I'm trying to get Bud and Doug to get in touch with my dealer to set this thing straight before this nightmare becomes a reality.

I'm sorry you are having to endure this Matt....like others have said over and over, it should not be this way!

Rusty

I will say that had it not been for Doug at SAI I would be up the creek! Doug has been SUPER responsive and even when it's not his fault apologizes and tries to set things right. In comes down to little SAI and HUGE messed up we're loosing money, Ford. Is what it is. Shouldn't be, but there ya go.

UPDATE: I am told by my dealer they may have my stuff by Wed/Thu! We'll see!

#1 Price

#2 Chance of error

Imagine the cost to SAI if the paint job goes wrong!

I will say that had it not been for Doug at SAI I would be up the creek! Doug has been SUPER responsive and even when it's not his fault apologizes and tries to set things right. In comes down to little SAI and HUGE messed up we're loosing money, Ford. Is what it is. Shouldn't be, but there ya go.

UPDATE: I am told by my dealer they may have my stuff by Wed/Thu! We'll see!

WELL for those that care :). i still do not have my car, been over 3 months i've not had it, this time they went up to the shelby striper company to pick up the car in van nuys from Huntington beach. when they got there the car was not done, shelby letters still off and stripes still had to cure or something because they put coating on it. well the dealer took the car anyway because they did not want to drive back up there, ya go figure ............... so it sat in the rain storm we just had for the weekend at the dealer, now they have to have the stripe guy come down to finish the car, they said Monday but called he could not make it now its tomorrow but i doubt it. i sure wish i had financed via ford then i could have not made the 3 payments and tell them to pay it.

WELL for those that care :). i still do not have my car, been over 3 months i've not had it, this time they went up to the shelby striper company to pick up the car in van nuys from Huntington beach. when they got there the car was not done, shelby letters still off and stripes still had to cure or something because they put coating on it. well the dealer took the car anyway because they did not want to drive back up there, ya go figure ............... so it sat in the rain storm we just had for the weekend at the dealer, now they have to have the stripe guy come down to finish the car, they said Monday but called he could not make it now its tomorrow but i doubt it. i sure wish i had financed via ford then i could have not made the 3 payments and tell them to pay it.

Ugh...

I still don't have my stripes...waiting.

Ty,

That sucks. I feel so bad for you.

well picked up my car today, go ford!!!!

1) shelby letters on trunk are all movable, they said may tighten in few days

2) big gobs of glue stuck to roof passenger side

3) hood scoop is cracked and turning brown likes stripes, "they ordered new one"

4) rear quarter near side mirror paint all oxidized

5) whole car is covered with some rough over spray, sand paper feels smoother, i mean everywhere you see black paint its covered

its going back to the dealer to be professionally detailed by them Monday and will handle issue if the detail clay bar does not correct it. i told them this better take at least 6 hours if its to be done right

6) the stripes on roof has line through both stripes where it was apparently folded during shipping, i am hoping it will even out and go flat in time

7) someone decided to pop hood with pins still in, told them to order new set as all bent now

thanks fore letting me vent :), no one else seems to care that people who buy these cars care about the car, its not some rental

well picked up my car today, go ford!!!!

1) shelby letters on trunk are all movable, they said may tighten in few days

2) big gobs of glue stuck to roof passenger side

3) hood scoop is cracked and turning brown likes stripes, "they ordered new one"

4) rear quarter near side mirror paint all oxidized

5) whole car is covered with some rough over spray, sand paper feels smoother, i mean everywhere you see black paint its covered

its going back to the dealer to be professionally detailed by them Monday and will handle issue if the detail clay bar does not correct it. i told them this better take at least 6 hours if its to be done right

6) the stripes on roof has line through both stripes where it was apparently folded during shipping, i am hoping it will even out and go flat in time

7) someone decided to pop hood with pins still in, told them to order new set as all bent now

thanks fore letting me vent :), no one else seems to care that people who buy these cars care about the car, its not some rental

I am sorry to hear how Ford messed-up your car. If there is a lesson learned, stay clear of the Ford stealers, if at all possible. I don't let them touch my car anymore. All striping and hood scoop replacement is being done at my hand picked body shop.

My husband is going to be doing a tile job at the local Ford showroom. He asked me tonight if he should set a few tiles "lifted" a little above the rest ?? :D :D :P

We could then say....you fix my scoop...we will fix your tiles !!! :lol: :P

+1

Ty,

That sucks. I feel so bad for you.

well got my car back today after dealer had it totally clay bar detailed, must say looks awesome almost as good as when i gave it to them :) 4 months ago, i am happy with the way the paint looks now. all that is left is to reorder scoop number three, new hood pins and replace the shelby letters. then its the way it should be :0 . i thin k i am going to pass on riveting it after all the issue i have been reading.

Archived