TEAM SHELBY FORUM

500HP GT didn't have my car after all!

Three Cobras

500HP GT -

I publicly apologize for suggesting you got my car. Mine came last night.

Details: Built 6/27, shipped 7/18 by rail from Fostoria, OH, to Jessup, MD arriving 7/20. Arrived at dealer in Tidewater Virginia 7/21, left dealer 7/21. Mileage - 24 miles. Ford CS still lists a projected delivery of 8/3, changed from 7/14.

Some shipping damage - small gouge in front air splitter and two nicks in RR wheel. Damage found by dealer and replacements ordered before I saw car. Don't kid yourself that they are treated with kid gloves. Look the car over carefully.

Dealer kept original deal - X Plan - despite one glitch which I'd forseen. He agreed that if X Plan wasn't available, my offer to give him the same money as if it were available was 'fair'. In this case, X Plan IS available, but Ford offers no incentive money to the dealer. We calculated how much that was - about $750 I think - and I gave him that much over the X Plan price. Final Price with upgraded interior and all fees and stuff except VA sales tax and license fee was $40783.08. No hassle - he kept his word and I, mine. As I was about to drive away, he gave me a photo of the GT500 he'd had Carroll Shelby sign at the launch meeting in Las Vegas! He'd gotten four for his four customers.

This is a great car! It is very different from the '04 Cobra PowerLease car I traded in. It will take some adjustment to get used to it, but that's not bad. It feels very solid and corners flat. I have so few miles on it that I won't comment more right now other than to make a few quick ones. I've noticed the clutch chatter in starting from a stop in first that others have mentioned. The shifter is short and tight and right where it should be located, but just a little 'rubbery', no doubt to keep the transmission noise down. It might be just fine to replace the rubber where the shifter handle attaches to the mechanism instead of putting in a whole new aftermarket shifter.

This car handles great, stops even better, and definitely draws crowds. The red accents in the interior do not exactly match the exterior red, but I think they look great as is. The seats will slowly darken with age and sweat anyway, so I think they look sharp and don't bemoan the slight difference.

Not sure what all the to-do was about with the hood, it looks fine and not very obtrusive to me. That engine puts out a lot of heat and those vents are really needed. The ride height is OK, but would look a bit better an inch lower. The forward rake is not very pronounced when you stand near the car, but it may be more apparent when you stand way back and crouch down. To me, there's more important stuff to worry about than that right now. Not sure if I will do anything to the ride height later or not.

It definitely sounds as if the exhaust pipes end about thirty feet behind the bumper - it's pretty quiet at low power. If anything gets changed soon, I will change that - just too too quiet.

The only real nit I have is that the seatbelts are hard to reach when you are seated. There's no loop on the side of the seat like my '04 to keep it close at hand. I assume that is because of the side airbags.

Pictures and updates will follow. If it were in my power to get everyone their car now, I'd do it. Nice to have one of the first, but I could have been one of the 'waiters' and I know how that'd feel to me. I won't counsel others to have the patience I do not. I'll just say 'hang on, it's worth it.'

500HP GT -

Details: Built 6/27, shipped 7/18 by rail from Fostoria, OH, to Jessup, MD arriving 7/20. Arrived at dealer in Tidewater Virginia 7/21, left dealer 7/21. Mileage - 24 miles. Ford CS still lists a projected delivery of 8/3, changed from 7/14.

Some shipping damage - small gouge in front air splitter and two nicks in RR wheel. Damage found by dealer and replacements ordered before I saw car. Don't kid yourself that they are treated with kid gloves. Look the car over carefully.

Dealer kept original deal - X Plan - despite one glitch which I'd forseen. He agreed that if X Plan wasn't available, my offer to give him the same money as if it were available was 'fair'. In this case, X Plan IS available, but Ford offers no incentive money to the dealer. We calculated how much that was - about $750 I think - and I gave him that much over the X Plan price. Final Price with upgraded interior and all fees and stuff except VA sales tax and license fee was $40783.08. No hassle - he kept his word and I, mine. As I was about to drive away, he gave me a photo of the GT500 he'd had Carroll Shelby sign at the launch meeting in Las Vegas! He'd gotten four for his four customers.

This is a great car! It is very different from the '04 Cobra PowerLease car I traded in. It will take some adjustment to get used to it, but that's not bad. It feels very solid and corners flat. I have so few miles on it that I won't comment more right now other than to make a few quick ones. I've noticed the clutch chatter in starting from a stop in first that others have mentioned. The shifter is short and tight and right where it should be located, but just a little 'rubbery', no doubt to keep the transmission noise down. It might be just fine to replace the rubber where the shifter handle attaches to the mechanism instead of putting in a whole new aftermarket shifter.

This car handles great, stops even better, and definitely draws crowds. The red accents in the interior do not exactly match the exterior red, but I think they look great as is. The seats will slowly darken with age and sweat anyway, so I think they look sharp and don't bemoan the slight difference.

Not sure what all the to-do was about with the hood, it looks fine and not very obtrusive to me. That engine puts out a lot of heat and those vents are really needed. The ride height is OK, but would look a bit better an inch lower. The forward rake is not very pronounced when you stand near the car, but it may be more apparent when you stand way back and crouch down. To me, there's more important stuff to worry about than that right now. Not sure if I will do anything to the ride height later or not.

It definitely sounds as if the exhaust pipes end about thirty feet behind the bumper - it's pretty quiet at low power. If anything gets changed soon, I will change that - just too too quiet.

The only real nit I have is that the seatbelts are hard to reach when you are seated. There's no loop on the side of the seat like my '04 to keep it close at hand. I assume that is because of the side airbags.

Pictures and updates will follow. If it were in my power to get everyone their car now, I'd do it. Nice to have one of the first, but I could have been one of the 'waiters' and I know how that'd feel to me. I won't counsel others to have the patience I do not. I'll just say 'hang on, it's worth it.'

An honest dealer that kept his word....good lord....sing his praises and tell who he is...

Cutter -

Right you are, I should have provided the dealer's name.

Bowditch Ford, Newport News, VA. Salesman Steve Horn, Owner Dan XX(? I forget). 757-595-2211. I think all their cars this year are spoken for, and they were ADMed. But, there was no push to add other stuff to mine and they were as happy as me despite the under-sticker deal. I'll go back there without a doubt.

Cutter -

Right you are, I should have provided the dealer's name.

Bowditch Ford, Newport News, VA. Salesman Steve Horn, Owner Dan XX(? I forget). 757-595-2211. I think all their cars this year are spoken for, and they were ADMed. But, there was no push to add other stuff to mine and they were as happy as me despite the under-sticker deal. I'll go back there without a doubt.

Why was yours x-plan and the others ADM????

If I had paid close enough attention I would have seen your a power lease holder :)

442 -

Thanks. I will fulfill my obligations to the board soon. I want to get a few hundred miles on it so I get used to the feel and after the springs settle in. It definitely has a different, more solid feel than my '04 Termy.

Cutter -

Yup, PowerLease was the key. I worked the deal in advance using info I learned on this board. I covered both the X-Plan and the 'Plan B' if X-Plan weren't available or if some of the conditions were changed. Any other PL folks or others who may be able to bargain for X-Plan later, take note. It may not be easy, but it can be done. As I've said before, this dealer is a businessman who was happy to make a sale he would not have made otherwise.

500HP GT -

SCGT500 & Int -

I'm local - Isle of Wight.

I have no earthly idea why my car got here ahead of yours. Or, more to the point, why mine got here late (orig delivery sked for 7/14) and yours are even later. DFK. Some one else posted that Kimnach just sold a White with Blue for $75K. May be the true sale price, maybe not. Lots of miltary around here who have EARNED big bonuses. Wouldn't surprise me if one of them converted sweat equity into a dream. They deserve to do that if they wish.

Mine is Red with White, red accent interior with interior upgrade. No other options. I traded in my '04 Cobra - also red - with 40K miles. I drive these cars daily as you can see.

My initial driving impression after less than 200 miles is that if you were blindfolded and drove(!) both the '04 and the '07, you'd be hard pressed to think the two were related. The new car is definitely more solid, and definitely has more grunt. I've wound it up a few times, but am taking care to break it in. Others have different break-in philosophies, but I do what works for me. I can feel the engine is tight, so I will let it loosen up in due course rather than force it. I seldom have changed cars this quickly in the past - I still have my 93 Cobra with over 175K on the clock - so I'm all about doing it right.

Right now it's hard to compare the handling between the two cars in an objective manner. There are certain places I drive daily that I use for comparative testing, but the traffic has been such that I haven't had the latitude to open the Shelby up and sling it around. I am pretty ceratin I can feel some live axle effects, but whether it matters or not I can't say without pushing it. One thing I know from massive amounts of suspension work on many cars over many years, the initial feeling after upgrading the suspension is one of disappointment. Until you start getting some numbers, it seems like the car is slower or no faster because the drama level has dropped. When you are able to start comparing speeds through the corner, then it becomes obvious the cars handles much better. I should have more over the next couple of weeks. But there is no question this is a comfortable car to drive. That does not mean candy-ass. After all, if they couldn't design a better handling car than the old platform, what good are they? I still think IRS is the only way to go, but I'll reserve judgement untill I can wring this boy out and decide for myself how the balance is.

I still haven't got the clutch down yet, I'll admit. I think it has to do with the engagement being pretty high off the mat and the numerically low rear end ratio. I don't claim to be an ace drag racer. But I've been driving with a clutch continuously since my learner's permit, so something is just a bit different with the rig that I've not gotten. The car tends to either bog or chatter the clutch in first if you're trying to get away fast. When you hit it right, it's a thing of beauty. I'm probably batting .400, though.

No pictures yet, but just tape my name on 500HP's great work and that'll have to suffice for now.

More later.

mm

500HP GT -

I think I saw you and your car in Smithfield on Sunday. I agree that the car is to quiet. I was told that a Shelby was mine one week and then told that the would autioned the next week. Still unclear if I will get car or not, getting a big run around now. The dealer would not take any cash to seal the deal, and I tried. Would like to see one inside and out. I have a 1985 GT that I had since Sept. 27 1984. It has 50,000 miles and very close to show room condition. Want a red Shelby to go with it. The hunt goes on.

Just a note for your seatbelt woes. Ford does have about a 4" extender for us larger boys. We got a whole bunch of em at work, the 05/06 Crown Vic's clasp barely protrudes from the seat. Ask your dealer, I'm sure he can hook you up with one.

Kevin Smith

Kevin -

I was just whining about the reach backwards around the seat to grab the belt. I've grown up and gotten over it. Still, it could be better.

Red 85 -

Who flip-flopped on your deal? The dealer on '10 Business' (if you're local, you know who) is getting in a couple. I believe both are spoken for, but they are looking at $5K ADM so you might try there for an '07 'lottery' car or an '08. I know Bowditch will probably get four or five next year, just don't know about their ADM thoughts. Obviously, from what I've said above, I recommend them as well. I have not had good vibes from any of the bigger dealers in the area (Beach, Freedom, Kimnach, Cavalier) over the years. I started looking at these SVT Mustangs in 1993, and everytime I've bought one (1993, 2001, 2004) I have found better deals elsewhere. I get a real attitude from the salesmen each time. As I suggested above, with all the military folks around, they're pretty sure they are in the driver's seat for price. I've gone to Elizabeth City and to Richmond to get a better deal without too much trouble, FWIW.

Red 85 GT

It was not the dealer on 10, it is out to west of us a little. I am still trying to work them, but so far no luck. I have called over 60 dealers with no good luck. If you are willing to pay big money you can get one. I would like to see your car if possilbe.

Kevin -

I was just whining about the reach backwards around the seat to grab the belt. I've grown up and gotten over it. Still, it could be better.

Red 85 -

Who flip-flopped on your deal? The dealer on '10 Business' (if you're local, you know who) is getting in a couple. I believe both are spoken for, but they are looking at $5K ADM so you might try there for an '07 'lottery' car or an '08. I know Bowditch will probably get four or five next year, just don't know about their ADM thoughts. Obviously, from what I've said above, I recommend them as well. I have not had good vibes from any of the bigger dealers in the area (Beach, Freedom, Kimnach, Cavalier) over the years. I started looking at these SVT Mustangs in 1993, and everytime I've bought one (1993, 2001, 2004) I have found better deals elsewhere. I get a real attitude from the salesmen each time. As I suggested above, with all the military folks around, they're pretty sure they are in the driver's seat for price. I've gone to Elizabeth City and to Richmond to get a better deal without too much trouble, FWIW.

Three Cobras

You wouldn't happen to work on a military base in Norfolk do you? There is this Red and White GT500 that is parked where a Red terminator use to park ( right outside the back gate to the building). After I read this post I kinda figured it was you since you mentioned that you got rid of your red 04 for the 500. If you are, then thanks for putting a smile on my face everytime I pass your (maybe) ride when I go to work. If you are or not nice ride and way to get a great deal on her.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived