TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Name GT350

DreamRide

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Carroll was asking another person in the production program what the distance was from the office to the shop and the reply was about 350 feet. It became the GT 350. The Ford GT 40 received its name because it was only 40 inches tall.

In addition Carroll noted that the meeting over the name was taking too long and decided GT350 was okay, despite concern by some in the room that there might be confusion over the engine size with that number. Carroll responded that if it was a good car, the name wouldn't matter; if it was a poor one, the name wouldn't save it. B)

In addition Carroll noted that the meeting over the name was taking too long and decided GT350 was okay, despite concern by some in the room that there might be confusion over the engine size with that number. Carroll responded that if it was a good car, the name wouldn't matter; if it was a poor one, the name wouldn't save it. B)

Thanks!

Great info! :)

• 2 months later...

350 feet from the office to the shop. It sounds corny but it is true.

robin

Doesn't sound corny at all. Makes as much sense as other car names, and somtimes I am bewildered where some of these names come from.

I've always admired "Impala" 'cause I've seen them run, and "Cobra" because I've seen their quick bite, and both appeal to me automotively. However, I have always felt that the name "Impala" went on the wrong car, back in the '60s, that was a big and heavy car, not a light sprinter by any means. "Dart", "Duster", "Challenger", all very inspritional. But, "Aurora", "Omega", "Aztec"...WTF are they thinking?

One more reason the Bullitt is appealing, it doesn't say anything at all. Maybe someone should nick-name it..."DUCK!"

How wise! If it isn't it belongs in marketing textbooks!

How wise! If it isn't it belongs in marketing textbooks!

All of this has been repeated Shelby history in infinite magazine and book articles on CS and the GT350. The GT500 name had different approach but no less a great marketing tool. Since so many cars were coming out with bigger V8 engines and more horsepower, the automakers were making sure to boast of the engine size on the car markings, 390, 426 hemi, 427, etc. Shelby figured to put it over the top by just calling the bigger Shelby car a GT500 as no one had an engine that big and since the GT350 never refered to engine size, why should his other car. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived