TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Higher the CSM Number the Better?

jaydub Mach1

In retrospect all of the Shelby GT's are close to the same no matter the CSM Number but the lower the number the more collectible it can be in some people's minds. I have a low number under 1000 and I know it will be collectible. They assigned numbers to cars as they went down the line so if you ordered a car they could let you know your number before you got the car, but when I went and bought mine I had to take what they had and I am sure glad that I did. Does that help any?........

In retrospect all of the Shelby GT's are close to the same no matter the CSM Number but the lower the number the more collectible it can be in some people's minds. I have a low number under 1000 and I know it will be collectible. They assigned numbers to cars as they went down the line so if you ordered a car they could let you know your number before you got the car, but when I went and bought mine I had to take what they had and I am sure glad that I did. Does that help any?........

Yes. Thanks.

I am now wondering why the earlier cars would be more collectable than the later ones?

Wouldn't the later ones have the latest air scoop fix, etc done at SAI?

Just curious

Yes. Thanks.

I am now wondering why the earlier cars would be more collectable than the later ones?

Wouldn't the later ones have the latest air scoop fix, etc done at SAI?

Just curious

Low number cars have always been the most collected of all.

If you have a REALLY LOW number....like one of the first 30 or 40 cars......maybe thats more collectible.

But I dont think # 2000 is going to be worth more than # 4000.

Besides, people watch entirely too much Barrett-Jackson and end up thinking these cars are going to be worth 6 figures some day.........as has been discussed many times on this forum........if that is your main reason for buying this car.......you blew it.

Buy the one that is optioned the way you want it. Enjoy it, drive it and take good care of it.......thats value.

Not some pipe dream of getting rich someday.

If you have a REALLY LOW number....like one of the first 30 or 40 cars......maybe thats more collectible.

Besides, people watch entirely too much Barrett-Jackson and end up thinking these cars are going to be worth 6 figures some day.........as has been discussed many times on this forum........if that is your main reason for buying this car.......you blew it.

Buy the one that is optioned the way you want it. Enjoy it, drive it and take good care of it.......thats value.

i agree with ya, dont buy the car as an investment. get the color and options you want and drive it and enjoy it. the survial rate on a collectabe car is 20%. so for the car to be "collectable" you will need 80% to be gone in 15 years. so some of you guys are going to have to drive the crap out of these cars so that we can get them off the road. j/k. but 20% is the survial rate on cars that are 20 years old. i think i remember that from the days when i had plenty of money and was buying alot of cars.

michael morris

I'm still looking on eBay, etc.

Are the cars with a higher CSM number more desirable? I'm thinking because they would have the latest and greatest updates and fixes, etc.

Or is it not that easy?

Thanks,

Not sure...and honestly don't care! By the time these cars are truly collectibles most of us aren't going to be around to see it. My goal is to drive the hell out of it and truly enjoy it. I want some guy 30 years from now bitching that the original owner drove it into the ground. I don't know what these cars will be worth in the future, if anything, but I do know I WILL get my monies worth! :D

I disagree. I think that the most collectible of all will be those from 4986 - 4995, especially if ordered in black with a 5-speed, IUP and Sirius radio... :D

will help even more if the number is between 4989-4991, the value will go nuts if you happen to have bought it at the WORLD famous Wayne Morris Ford (worlds largest small Shelby reseller) :lol:

michael morris

will help even more if the number is between 4989-4991, the value will go nuts if you happen to have bought it at the WORLD famous Wayne Morris Ford (worlds largest small Shelby reseller) :lol:

michael morris

:lol::lol::lol: I've got one of those!!!!!! Yippeeeee!

I'm still looking on eBay, etc.

Its not that cut and dry.

Are the cars with a higher CSM number more desirable? I'm thinking because they would have the latest and greatest updates and fixes, etc.

Or is it not that easy?

Thanks,

here here !!!

I disagree. I think that the most collectible of all will be those from 4986 - 4995, especially if ordered in black with a 5-speed, IUP and Sirius radio... :D

I think those with the Sirius and Navigation will be worth less because their formats will be obsolete and useless!! The basic premium car with leather seats, even without the IUP will be very desirable. If you've ever noticed, all the Roush mustangs do NOT have the IUP. They take the basic mustang and only change the steering wheel to the one on the IUP package. They do not have My Color, etc. I think the less gadgetry the better, because it will be easier to get parts and restore it.

I think those with the Sirius and Navigation will be worth less because their formats will be obsolete and useless!! The basic premium car with leather seats, even without the IUP will be very desirable. If you've ever noticed, all the Roush mustangs do NOT have the IUP. They take the basic mustang and only change the steering wheel to the one on the IUP package. They do not have My Color, etc. I think the less gadgetry the better, because it will be easier to get parts and restore it.

AGAIN, not that I have them, but "Sirius and Navigation will be worth less because their formats will be obsolete" so? What do I care! I care no more than the guy that bought the 68 GT500 with 8-track! Those that really care should park their car in the bubble EVERY day! In fact drive with the bubble and park it in the bubble where ever you go!

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/...d/3962/sc/15049

:P

Look there are 6000 +- of these cars on the road. There were less than 2000 GT500s in 1968, give or take. It's going to be a LONG time, IF EVER, that these cars are worth anything. At this point I'd just be happy if they maintained their price difference with a GT! It's way WAY too early to be predicting how CSM number will effect value.

IMHO!

JMO, but I don't think it's going to make much difference in future value if you have anything between say 20 and the penultimate 2007 SGT.

There may be some pride in saying something like "I got the last black/white 2007 made", but it's going to be a long time, if ever, before it's worth anything extra.

JMO, but I don't think it's going to make much difference in future value if you have anything between say 20 and the penultimate 2007 SGT.

There may be some pride in saying something like "I got the last black/white 2007 made", but it's going to be a long time, if ever, before it's worth anything extra.

Well one thing we know for sure. The 2007's will be worth FAR MORE than the 2008's. :lol::lol:

j/k :D

Well one thing we know for sure. The 2007's will be worth FAR MORE than the 2008's. :lol::lol:

# 928 was purchased for my driving pleasure. If it appreciates as my 65 GT 350 clone has all the better. If not I will simply continue to enjoy it each and every time I drive it!

Cheers, Pete C

LAST 4 ON MY CSN # 0958 NOT BAD !!

• 3 weeks later...

mine has no IUP or any other bells and whistles. just a shaker 500. and the only seat warmer i have is my ugly butt..and none of that satelite navigation junk. its all bare boned. the interior is completely charcoal...even the steering wheel.

about the csm# i dont think its goin to matter much, unless its the the 1st#. sometimes the last# is worth something but only time will tell.

maybe in 50 years (most of us be dead by then lol), if u have a "survivor" that means its never been restored but is in good condition and "original", it might be worth close to what u paid for it... maybe more...but it depends on how desireable the 07 SGTs are in the future and how many are left standing.

As I stated earlier, I have a relatively early # which in this case means an early hood scoop which is prone to warping etc. I have never been real fond of the fake scoop but as it began to warp and become a hideous parody of itself I grew to like it even less. Week before last I was at the Nor Cal Mini Nats with my track car. There were a lot of Shelby GTs in the paddock and I noticed that the high number cars had scoops that looked like they actually belonged on the car. It seems they have updated the materials, molds and installation. Cheers, Pete C

As I stated earlier, I have a relatively early # which in this case means an early hood scoop which is prone to warping etc. I have never been real fond of the fake scoop but as it began to warp and become a hideous parody of itself I grew to like it even less. Week before last I was at the Nor Cal Mini Nats with my track car. There were a lot of Shelby GTs in the paddock and I noticed that the high number cars had scoops that looked like they actually belonged on the car. It seems they have updated the materials, molds and installation. Cheers, Pete C

Some have mentioned that they hope the car would be worth what they paid for it in 30 years. Lets just use a round figure of 40K including tax, title, etc. Had someone invested 40k at 8%interest it would be worth 320 plus thousand dollars in 30 years. Our vehicles will never approach that figure. Or at least that is JMHO.

I would think the 2008 would be more collectible due to the lower number manufactured and the availability of the convertible. But again, the stock market, over 30 years, would be a far better investment.

I am curious about the thinking on 2007 vs. 2008 values. I agree, generally, that you buy the car to enjoy it rather than thinking of it as an investment. But is it not the case that in 2008 they are making only 2100 (or some number like that) of them? Will that alone not make them more exclusive and, therefore, more valuable?

It would seem so. But were talking maybe 30-35 years from now. You need a crystal ball to know whats gonna happen.

The 67 shelby was like a redheaded stepchild ( so to speak) of the shelby mustangs. They were always cheaper but more rare than the 68,69. But after gone in 60 seconds came out they started to go steadily up in value. In 1991 you could buy a 67 gt 500 shelby for 20k - 60k . When these cars were a couple years old you had trouble selling them. Mostly because of gas. Sound familiar?

So really, while we all want to think we have a monetery goldmine. We dont. What we have is is a different kind of treasure . Just considering the fact you have just bought a NEW Shelby..... just the way you want it, a once in a lifetime deal! Thats the Booty Man. So just live life go for a drive, enjoy!

What Im planning to do is drive the snot out of this car and turn it over to a kid when Im gone. I hope all of you guys enjoy them just as much! Happy Motoring... B)

I am curious about the thinking on 2007 vs. 2008 values. I agree, generally, that you buy the car to enjoy it rather than thinking of it as an investment. But is it not the case that in 2008 they are making only 2100 (or some number like that) of them? Will that alone not make them more exclusive and, therefore, more valuable?

Totally agree CSM198,

and Clark, we dont know how many 2008's there will be, the 2100 stated are 2008 job 1 cars, how many 2008 job 2 cars will there be? none of us know......

....all 5800 of the 2007 SGT were 2007 job 2..........

and remember, the gt500 were going to be a limited production of 8 to 10,000 total, no one was thinking 8 to 10000 a year at the time, but now thats the way it worked out.

8000-10000 2007

8000-10000 2008

8000-10000 2009?

*Disclaimer: "None of us know what the total numbers will be, this info was taken from previous posts on this forum......because we all know, if you read it somewhere, it must be true.

i'm using mine as a daily driver with seat covers and rubber floor mats just so i can keep the interior from gettin ragged out over time.

gee that car is hard to get in and out of :wacko:

i developed a tecnique where i stick my right leg in but keep the knee extended straight and i usually able to flop right in easily that way. i wish the stinkin steering column can be adjusted an inch higher. and i hate the steering column adjusting lever location because sometimes my knee will catch it and hurt especially with shorts on. anyone else have this problem?

i know i can adjust the seat to where its more easy to get in and out but i like to keep it to where i can drive comfortably but still get in and out managebly without having to adjust it all the time. but i still adjust it alot because i am just not used to the car yet...especially after all the years of drivin in pickups.

so far its the only real annoying thing about the car

but i still love it :wub:

Archived