TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 ON TOUR

SSGT500

post-6104-1153605951_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606034_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606173_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606260_thumb.jpgI just got back from the Mustang show at Sutton Ford in Matteson, IL where I got to examine and ride in a GT500. My overall impression is that this is one sweet ride! I took a ride in the back seat of a white convertible. There is alot to like in this car. Under the hood looks awesome. Everthing well laid out. It does look like there is room for a set of shorty headers. The passenger side obviously has more room than the driver side. The steering shaft could be a problem on the driver side. The interior is one of the high points of the car. The seats are very comfortable. They have a good balance of lateral support with entry/exit ease. I did like the interior upgrade package with the additional stiching on the dash and other areas. The upgraded pedals look cool too. I felt that the ride was very good for a sports car. No problem with the solid axle. The exhaust note did seem a little weak, even when riding in the back seat with the top down. I will probably replace the mufflers on mine. If you could fit shorty headers in, it would probably help the exhaust sound. The other modification that I would make is to remove the underhood insulation blanket. When riding in the car you definetly notice the supercharger whine. It is more noticeable than the exhaust. This is more evident at higher revs. It is real noticeable at redline. The engine does rev very quickly. The shift light rpm is adjustable. Good space in the trunk due to no spare tire. It does come with a can of sealant and a mini air compressor. The car stops very well but does nose dive alot under heavy braking. The Ford rep (who did not officially work for Ford but for a company from Dearborn hired by Ford to do promotions) said that the target build is 8,000 to 10,000 units. She thought that prices would come down to MSRP next year.

post-6104-1153605951_thumb.jpg

post-6104-1153606034_thumb.jpg

post-6104-1153606173_thumb.jpg

post-6104-1153606260_thumb.jpg

SSGT500

Just wondering why

"The other modification that I would make is to remove the underhood insulation blanket. When riding in the car you definetly notice the supercharger whine."

This seems to be a contradiction: wouldn't removing the insulation make the whine louder?

This is an aspect of the Shelby I'm worried about. I've wondered if more insulation might help?

CC

post-6104-1153605951_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606034_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606173_thumb.jpgpost-6104-1153606260_thumb.jpgI just got back from the Mustang show at Sutton Ford in Matteson, IL where I got to examine and ride in a GT500. My overall impression is that this is one sweet ride! I took a ride in the back seat of a white convertible. There is alot to like in this car. Under the hood looks awesome. Everthing well laid out. It does look like there is room for a set of shorty headers. The passenger side obviously has more room than the driver side. The steering shaft could be a problem on the driver side. The interior is one of the high points of the car. The seats are very comfortable. They have a good balance of lateral support with entry/exit ease. I did like the interior upgrade package with the additional stiching on the dash and other areas. The upgraded pedals look cool too. I felt that the ride was very good for a sports car. No problem with the solid axle. The exhaust note did seem a little weak, even when riding in the back seat with the top down. I will probably replace the mufflers on mine. If you could fit shorty headers in, it would probably help the exhaust sound. The other modification that I would make is to remove the underhood insulation blanket. When riding in the car you definetly notice the supercharger whine. It is more noticeable than the exhaust. This is more evident at higher revs. It is real noticeable at redline. The engine does rev very quickly. The shift light rpm is adjustable. Good space in the trunk due to no spare tire. It does come with a can of sealant and a mini air compressor. The car stops very well but does nose dive alot under heavy braking. The Ford rep (who did not officially work for Ford but for a company from Dearborn hired by Ford to do promotions) said that the target build is 8,000 to 10,000 units. She thought that prices would come down to MSRP next year.

SSGT500

Just wondering why

"The other modification that I would make is to remove the underhood insulation blanket. When riding in the car you definetly notice the supercharger whine."

This seems to be a contradiction: wouldn't removing the insulation make the whine louder?

This is an aspect of the Shelby I'm worried about. I've wondered if more insulation might help?

CC

Cobra, yes, I think that removing the underhood blanket would increase the supercharger whine. It would probably keep the engine a little cooler too. I did not think the whine was objectionable. I have never owned a supercharged car and thought the whine was pretty cool. Reminds me of a 60's Shelby with a Paxton on it. The whine was not loud at all until the revs came up. Nothing to be concerned about. I couldn't see the tach real well because I was trying to hang on to the camera. You could probably shift this thing just by listening to the supercharger. Kinda like a motorcycle without a tach.

Cobra, yes, I think that removing the underhood blanket would increase the supercharger whine. It would probably keep the engine a little cooler too. I did not think the whine was objectionable. I have never owned a supercharged car and thought the whine was pretty cool. Reminds me of a 60's Shelby with a Paxton on it. The whine was not loud at all until the revs came up. Nothing to be concerned about. I couldn't see the tach real well because I was trying to hang on to the camera. You could probably shift this thing just by listening to the supercharger. Kinda like a motorcycle without a tach.

SSGT500

Thanks for the response and the insight.

CC

Cobra, yes, I think that removing the underhood blanket would increase the supercharger whine. It would probably keep the engine a little cooler too.

I'd proceed with caution with this. That insulation is there for a reason. If you remove it, the heat will be transferred to the hood itself (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is NOT a standard steel hood but a lightweight composit or aluminum hood), which may deform or discolor the paint. I'm sure they want the heat to be focused on the hood extractors, not the whole hood itself. Plus, Ford wouldn't spend an extra cent if they didn't have to on things like this. If it wasn't necessary, that's extra money in their pocket!

Joe, I think the only reason the blanket is there is for sound control. I have taken them off on several of my vehicles. I have removed them from under plastic, steel and aluminum hoods without any problems. Ford probably had to install them to satisfy the lawyers or the government. The paint used on new vehicles (basecoat/clearcoat) is pretty tough. Of course the hood stripes are a different story.

Joe, I think the only reason the blanket is there is for sound control. I have taken them off on several of my vehicles. I have removed them from under plastic, steel and aluminum hoods without any problems. Ford probably had to install them to satisfy the lawyers or the government. The paint used on new vehicles (basecoat/clearcoat) is pretty tough. Of course the hood stripes are a different story.

No problem. I respect your opinion. I hate the way it looks, but I'm too chicken to gamble on taking it off. Good luck.

Archived