TEAM SHELBY FORUM

VIN# assignment process

BadTony

why can't the factory issue VIN#'s more in advance than just before the car is built?

For example, why can't they pull an order, assign a VIN, schedule a build date and have the build date be 4 months to 6 months out?

Specifically , who at AAI is in charge of this process? (or does this even occur at AAI?)

Anyhow, I think it's complete BS that folks that have had orders in the system since mid March (when the order banks officially opened) and still can't get a VIN or build date.

why can't the factory issue VIN#'s more in advance than just before the car is built?

For example, why can't they pull an order, assign a VIN, schedule a build date and have the build date be 4 months to 6 months out?

Specifically , who at AAI is in charge of this process? (or does this even occur at AAI?)

Anyhow, I think it's complete BS that folks that have had orders in the system since mid March (when the order banks officially opened) and still can't get a VIN or build date.

Why?

Having a VIN does not serve any purpose. It identifies a vehcile that is built. Do you want Sony to give you a serial number for a computer you will buy next year. Placing an order is different from receiving the vehicle. The VIN is the serial number for the car.

Actually that's wrong. Here are two reasons that I can think of off the top of my head. First being the fact that they wish to confirm that the car will actually be built? (once car is pulled for production, and it becomes 'serialized', it will get a build date shortly afterwards. Second, folks (once they get their VIN) may just want to seal the deal with the dealership. There may be other reasons though.

Why else would folks on this site make a big deal about getting their VINs and submit posts stating so?

who care about Sony anyways

I thought VINs were assigned further ahead of time. I ordered my GT on 4/03/06 and the VIN was assigned by 4/21/06. Also see where a GT500 was ordered 3/21/06 and the VIN was assigned by 4/13/06 from the same dealership. The other two GT500s that were ordered 3/23 & 3/27 had not yet been serealized by 4/21. That may have something to do with dealer allocation. The latter two had Priority Codes of 11 & 12 respectively.

-Chip in SC

John @ 800 FORD SVT told me yesterday that the regional offices are responsible for having the orders pulled for production. Once that occurrs, the factory can begin by assigning VIN and build date. He also stated that build dates can be up to two (2) months out from build date. So what that means, is that if you do not have your VIN, you'll most likely be waiting no less than two months until your car is built.

John @ 800 FORD SVT told me yesterday that the regional offices are responsible for having the orders pulled for production. Once that occurrs, the factory can begin by assigning VIN and build date. He also stated that build dates can be up to two (2) months out from build date. So what that means, is that if you do not have your VIN, you'll most likely be waiting no less than two months until your car is built.

I'm confused. If he said "UP TO" 2 months, then why are you saying "NO LESS THAN" 2 months? Did you mean to say "AT THE MOST" two months?

Dave

Just what I said.

If you have a VIN # assigned, the wait should be no longer than 2 months.

If you do NOT have your VIN# your wait will be no less than 2 months

If I don't have a VIN today, and they call me with one tomorrow...then my build date could be 1 month away...which is still within the "UP TO" 2 month window. Therefore, I could have my car in less than 2 months. So, your wording is misleading. When he says "UP TO"...that means anything LESS than that is possible.

Dave

I am just quoting what was told to me.

yes it is true that it MAY be possible that if you get your VIN today that your build date could be sooner than 2 months. However it is somewhat unlikely that you would receive your car much under 2 months.

If I don't have a VIN today, and they call me with one tomorrow...then my build date could be 1 month away...which is still within the "UP TO" 2 month window. Therefore, I could have my car in less than 2 months. So, your wording is misleading. When he says "UP TO"...that means anything LESS than that is possible.

Dave

the way that i read it, the car will be built no later than 2 months after the vin is assigned. then you still have to wait for quality check, striping, and shipping. so 2 months is just until the build date. but i ain't holdin' nothing sacred that i read on the site anymore. too many good intentions, but at the same time too much confusion. i have resigned myself to the fact that i'll get the car when i get it and there is nothing i can do to speed up the process.

not a hard and fast rule, just an observation of how things (overall) have transpired so far. But what is a fact, is that currently, the factory can't schedule build dates further out than two months.

Fisrt being the fact that they wish to confirm that the car will actually be built? (once car is pulled for production, and it becomes 'serialized', it will get a guild date shortly afterwards. Second, folks (once they get their VIN) may just want to seal the deal with the dealership. There may be other reasons though.

What if they assign a VIN and cannot build the vehicle. Since the plant uses just in time inventory if they were to schedule too many vehicles during a particular period and one supplier were to run into problems then they would end up with an Excess of parts. I guess what I mean is that they will assign a VIN for a car that will actually be built. They will not commit to build more cars than they can. So they will not assign the VIN till they know they can build that weeks cars.

I think you can make a contract to 'seal the deal' without a VIN, it is more convenient with a VIN but you can still do it without. Many of the parts of the vehicle have the VIN stamped or placed on them. So if you build a bunch of parts with VIN's for cars that will not be build for some time you just create a nightmare.

The VIN is just a bunch of numbers. What I mean is There are certain elements that are Fixed. and there are certain parts that are random. So get over thinking that there is something magical in the VIN, it is just a series of numbers and letters.

Archived