TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Comparing the 08 Shelby GT to 68 Shelby GT 350

AFBLUE

Someone mentioned the other day how the SGT is more like the 69-70 Shelbys than the earlier Shelbys.

That got me to thinking so I got out some books on the old Shelbys and Mustangs. Since I'm getting a 2008, I looked back 40 years earlier for a comparison:

1968 Mustang GT Fastback:

Price: $2859 (10.6% of the cost of a 2008 Mustang GT)

HP: 230 HP 4-bbl 302

1968 Shelby GT 350 fastback

Price: $4116 (10.7% of the cost of a 2008 SGT)

HP: 250 HP 4-bbl 302 (initially rated at 235 HP according to my Shelby Mustang book)

Thus the 68 GT-350 cost 44% more than a Mustang GT and had 20 more HP

Fast forward 40 years and the MSRP on a 2008 Premium Mustang GT (no options) is $27K while the 2008 Shelby GT (Premium with no options) is $38.5K

Thus the base 08 SGT cost 43% more than a base premium GT and has 19 more HP

I know the SGT is often criticized for how much it costs compared to a Mustang GT, and has only a little more HP, (e.g. Car & Driver SGT article), http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/12...-shelby-gt.html

but 40 years ago it was much the same story when comparing a 68 Fastback Mustang GT to a 68 Shelby GT 350.

In 1969 the comparison is even worse for the Shelbys because they had same engines/HP as the Mustang GT and costs 60% more (or 42% more than a Mach 1)

Source for the 1968 SGT was Mustang Field Guide, by Brad Bowling

Ummmm the 07/07 SGT has nothing to do with the 67/68 Shelby- although great info above.......it is a modern version of the 66 GT350H...Look at the profile (roof line and side 1/4 window) of the 66 and the 07/08. Look at the front grill of the 66 and 07/08...the hood scope vs the 67/68 styoe hoods which were totally different .....you guys gotta buy and read some Shelby books.

The 07/08 GT500 takes its styling from the 67/68 but NOT the SGT.

Ummmm the 07/07 SGT has nothing to do with the 67/68 Shelby- although great info above.......it is a modern version of the 66 GT350H...Look at the profile (roof line and side 1/4 window) of the 66 and the 07/08. Look at the front grill of the 66 and 07/08...the hood scope vs the 67/68 styoe hoods which were totally different .....you guys gotta buy and read some Shelby books.

I'm not trying to be rude here but isn't 07 GT500 based on the same car as the 07 SGT, which is the 05 and up Mustang. Also isn't the current generation Mustang based on the look of the 67 Mustangs? I think Ford has even admitted they used the 67 as a design inspiration.

The GT500 and the SGT both use design cues from the 60s Mustangs and Shelby's but I wouldn't go so far as to say that one specific car was the inspiration for either of the them

I understand that SGT and SGT-H are comparable to the 66 GT 350 and GT-350H as far as heritage, but that wasn't the point of my comparison. The comparison was between a Mustang GT and the base Shelby and what has changed (or not changed) in 40 years.

But just for a comparion

1966 Mustang GT K-code Fastback:

Price: $2883 (10.7% of the cost of a 2008 Mustang GT)

HP: 271 HP HI-PO 289

1966 Shelby GT 350 fastback

Price: $4428 (11.5% of the cost of a 2008 SGT)

HP: 305 HP 289

Thus the 66 GT-350 cost 54% more than a Mustang GT and had 34 more HP

Your comparison is not entirely fair. It makes the SGT look favorable to the vintage Shelby Mustang based on HP and increase over base Mustang GT.

In the 60's you got a lot of other goodies for your 40% cost premium. Such as; Fiberglass hood with functional hood scoop, fiberglass trunk lid, unique wheels (hubcaps for '68), unique steering wheel, unique gauge package, etc.

It looks to me that your 40% premium ain't worth as much these days.

robin

Your comparison is not entirely fair. It makes the SGT look favorable to the vintage Shelby Mustang based on HP and increase over base Mustang GT.

In the 60's you got a lot of other goodies for your 40% cost premium. Such as; Fiberglass hood with functional hood scoop, fiberglass trunk lid, unique wheels (hubcaps for '68), unique steering wheel, unique gauge package, etc.

It looks to me that your 40% premium ain't worth as much these days.

robin

I'm not trying to make the SGT look favorable to the vintage Shelby mustang. I was just pointing out the cost in % difference and hp difference between MY 1968 and 2008.

But since you mentioned the other goodies that you got in 1968, did the 68 GT-350 have all the performance enhancements over a Mustang GT, that the SGT has over the 08 Mustang GT (FR1, FR3, Hurst shifter, x-pipe)?

Again the point of my post was not to make the SGT look good or bad compared to the old Shelbys. It was simply an mental exercise.

CrazyDave, don't rub it in. You got yours, I'm still waiting for mine ;)

But since you mentioned the other goodies that you got in 1968, did the 68 GT-350 have all the performance enhancements over a Mustang GT, that the SGT has over the 08 Mustang GT (FR1, FR3, Hurst shifter, x-pipe)?

The suspension mods were limited to gabriel shocks. The front shocks were adjustable. The GT-350 received the larger exhaust of the big block cars. Exhaust manifolds were standard pieces amongst the car line.

The engine had an open element air cleaner so that would be the 60's equivalent of the FR1. I don't believe the 4 speed cars originally came with a Hurst shifter. Although it is a very common aftermarket upgrade.

robin

The suspension mods were limited to gabriel shocks. The front shocks were adjustable. The GT-350 received the larger exhaust of the big block cars. Exhaust manifolds were standard pieces amongst the car line.

The engine had an open element air cleaner so that would be the 60's equivalent of the FR1. I don't believe the 4 speed cars originally came with a Hurst shifter. Although it is a very common aftermarket upgrade.

robin

You know your Shelby history very well. :) I didn't find that level of detail on the 68 GT-350. I did get the impression that the 68 350 was the least powerful Shelby offered from 65-70.

AFBlue, I knew what you were trying to say. I have used the same comparisson when people question why I paid $40K for a Mustang. Yes there are pieces and on this that weren't on that and vis a verca (sp/lazy) but it is a valid point when people say why did you spend an extra $8,390.

....of course the extra $20K for mods I don't argue about. I just start up and launch like I am on a aircraft carrier catapult.

robin

Not to th_Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif, but I have more details:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Adams.ShelbyGT...ACWorldRegistry

It really depends on what you compare the SGT to: When compared to a stock Mustang GT it's looks expensive for what you get.

But I think it compares favorably to aftermarket tuner cars like the Foose Stallion, Roush Stage II, Saleen S281, and the Steeda Q335.

Most or all of these cars have a higher sticker price than a SGT and have 300-340 hp. The Foose Stallion lists 335 hp but I think it uses the same FR1 that the SGT uses.

FYI, the SGT won by a wide margin over these other cars in a poll I ran over at TMS back in Mar.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...highlight=foose

Funny thing was back then I picked the Foose.

It really depends on what you compare the SGT to: When compared to a stock Mustang GT it's looks expensive for what you get.

But I think it compares favorably to aftermarket tuner cars like the Foose Stallion, Roush Stage II, Saleen S281, and the Steeda Q335.

Most or all of these cars have a higher sticker price than a SGT and have 300-340 hp. The Foose Stallion lists 335 hp but I think it uses the same FR1 that the SGT uses.

FYI, the SGT won by a wide margin over these other cars in a poll I ran over at TMS back in Mar.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.p...highlight=foose

Funny thing was back then I picked the Foose.

Love the FACTS AFBLUE! I also enjoyed the "You won a car" give-a-way faux contest, it just shows what the Shelby has and has always had against ALL the competitors new and old. Great post and keep it up, we all love it! B)

• 4 weeks later...

Love the FACTS AFBLUE! I also enjoyed the "You won a car" give-a-way faux contest, it just shows what the Shelby has and has always had against ALL the competitors new and old. Great post and keep it up, we all love it! B)

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this old one. This is for you swede:

2007 SGT compared to 1996 Corvette:

2007 Shelby GT:

319hp,

$36000 (MSRP for base model 2007 $s).

0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 1/4 mile: 13.7

1996 Corvette: 300hp (LT-1 base engine).

$37,225 (base model coupe 1996 $s),

0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.7 (1995 #s but same engine)

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Gla...vette&trimid=-1

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/art.../0-60times.html

Base MSRP to MSRP, the Shelby GT is less expensive than a 96 base Corvette was in 96, and is I just as fast.

No point to this comparison, other than I thought it was interesting.

robin

Very true, and good info.

Early 1966s, however, and I don't remember exactly how many..200 or so???...were set up like the 1965s with relocated front suspension mounting points, locker rear ends, traction bars welded inside of the floorpan, etc. and were much more radical than the later cars. Our 2007 cars compare more with the late 1966 cars, both from a performance as well as from a visual standpoint, than any other vintage Shelby.

I think that Ford was going for the early (Job 1) 1968 GT500 look with the current GT500. You just have to look at the grille to see the heritage. The new KR, well, that is obviously the late (Job 2) 1968 GT500KR.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would add to this old one. This is for you swede:

2007 SGT compared to 1996 Corvette:

2007 Shelby GT:

319hp,

$36000 (MSRP for base model 2007 $s).

0-60 in 5.0 seconds, 1/4 mile: 13.7

1996 Corvette: 300hp (LT-1 base engine).

$37,225 (base model coupe 1996 $s),

0-60 in 5.2 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.7 (1995 #s but same engine)

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Gla...vette&trimid=-1

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/art.../0-60times.html

Base MSRP to MSRP, the Shelby GT is less expensive than a 96 base Corvette was in 96, and is I just as fast.

No point to this comparison, other than I thought it was interesting.

Hmmmmm, I thought my research was @ 13.5 for the 1/4 mile on the SGT. But AF your research seems far more intensive than mine was, so I'll take 13.7 as a real deal. B)

Hmmmmm, I thought my research was @ 13.5 for the 1/4 mile on the SGT. But AF your research seems far more intensive than mine was, so I'll take 13.7 as a real deal. B)

Here's a couple of sources.

MotorTrend has 0-60 in 5.0 and 1/4 mile in 13.6@104.1 weight 3536lbshttp://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...y_gt/specs.html

CarandDriver: 0-60 in 5.1 and 1/4 mile in 13.7@104 weight 3540lbs

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/downloa...orshelby_ts.pdf

Let me know if you find your 13.5 source and I'll add it to my database.

Here's a couple of sources.

MotorTrend has 0-60 in 5.0 and 1/4 mile in 13.6 http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/...y_gt/specs.html

CarandDriver: 0-60 in 5.1 and 1/4 mile in 13.7

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/downloa...orshelby_ts.pdf

Let me know if you find your 13.5 source and I'll add it to my database.

WWW.FORDRACING.COM They have the SGT doing 13.5 in the 1/4 mile. B)

Archived