TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire and Jack/lug wrench

mffarrell

Sorry if this has been covered before...did a search and couldn't find the same sort of question.

1. I am assuming that our cars don't come with a jack and lug wrench? Is this true?

2. Can I add the same sort of stock wheel/tire under the trunk and have it fit in the spare tire space?

Thanks!

Mike

1. Correct!

2. I know a Mustang GT temporary spare will fit; you could measure to see if yours would.

1. Correct!

2. I know a Mustang GT temporary spare will fit; you could measure to see if yours would.

The Mustang GT temp wheel/tire WILL fit in the well. The Shelby GT wheel will NOT. Too large in diameter and especially important....... to wide or tall as it sits higher than the depth of the well. You CAN buy a jack from Ford for only $35.

Now here's the rub..............

The temp tire is only made by Firestone. The wheel is also a special Ford part. Unless you can't find a wheel/tire in a junk yard you are going to pay big bucks to get a temp spare that fits in the wheel well.

Couldn't find anywhere on the web that sold the wheel, but one place sold the tire for $258.

From the Ford dealer, it costs me about $200 for the wheel and another $200 for the tire.

I didn't realize how hard it was to get a temp tire for the Mustang until I went through this process.

I live in a small town and none of the junk yards had an S197 Mustang GT.

Good luck.

Good question! Just put the donuts on all four wheels. That would be interesting!

Thanks all for posting this. It's a great topic. I would love to hear from SAI on their suggestions/recommendations.

I'd much rather hunt one down now than later when the car is on the side of the road with a flat.

Thanks all for posting this. It's a great topic. I would love to hear from SAI on their suggestions/recommendations.

I'd much rather hunt one down now than later when the car is on the side of the road with a flat.

Better yet, what happened to our orginal spare tire, jack, and lug wrench? I guess as part of the upfitter pkg., it was a delete item?

I am not sure if the car would be safe to drive on a Mustang spare b/c of ground clearance issues.

Better yet, what happened to our orginal spare tire, jack, and lug wrench? I guess as part of the upfitter pkg., it was a delete item?

I am not sure if the car would be safe to drive on a Mustang spare b/c of ground clearance issues.

The Shelby GT I was told by dealership is supposed to have a tire inflator instead of the jack/spare because of the ground clearance

The Shelby GT I was told by dealership is supposed to have a tire inflator instead of the jack/spare because of the ground clearance

The standard temp spare is a 17" tire. The diameter is about 3/8" smaller than the Shebly GT tire. So that would reduce the ground clearance by half that...3/16", which is barely noticable.

It just fits in the wheel well while the Shelby GT tire does not (by just a little). The main difference is that it is not as wide as the Shelby GT tire so it doesn't stick-up out of the well like the Shelby GT tire would.

Trust me, ground clearance was not why the spare was deleted from the Shelby GT. I can only speculate that the idea that the Shelby GT is sort of a race car (many high performance cars have tire inflation kits), saving weight (good reason) and the opportunity to save money (bad for us) was the reason for the temp tire delete.

I asked SAI why they deleted the tire and the answer was, "Ford just sent them to us like that". Which tells me $$ is the real reason.

Archived