TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Body Stripe Question

mffarrell

Hi,

Has anybody here actually have all or some of their body stripes replaced b/c of imperfections, like small bubbles. I wish this site was capable of doing a poll. :unsure:

The reason I ask, is that I have several bubbles on the hood, front bumper, and both side stripes. I am wondering if it's worth the hassle of getting them replaced?

I also have the scoop and muffler issues as well as a new one...the front splash shield under the car is only being support by ONE screw. Somebody forgot to put the rest of them in, as I noticed the splash shield almost touching the ground when I washed my car (first wash :-)) this weekend. :blink:

Thanks!

I have some tiny bubbles on my scoop center tape. I have new, replacement tape so that's a future project. I don't trust a dealer to do it.

I have some tiny bubbles on my scoop center tape. I have new, replacement tape so that's a future project. I don't trust a dealer to do it.

Yeah, I know how you feel about letting the dealer touch anything. May I ask how you acquired the stripe?

Thanks!

Bubbles in tape stripes is a common problem. The more stripe and wider the higher the probability of bubbles. I install these on the side and have taken mine off my 05 GT changing the stripe package from silver to red trying different stripe combos.

When installing, if you don't know what you are doing have a professional do it. If it's a small job, read the directions, don't use to much soap solution and take your time. Use a professional grade plastic smoothing piece to smooth out the air bubbles. I find it is best not to pull the backing tape off to quick.

Most of the time you can smooth out bubbles. On small ones if you don't want to pull the whole tape try using a very tiny pin and poke a small hole then press the air out. Many times as the heat hits them, some will just disappear over time.

I'm pretty particular about my car and it's appearance so I know how you feel. When removing tape stripes, it is very important to pull slowly and not get in a hurry. You need to clean the sticky part of the tape after pulling and make sure there is no wax as this causes problems when reapplying the new tape stripe to the paint.

Just my thoughts, there are most likely many of us who have other thoughts and ideas on how it should be done.

GG

Yeah, I know how you feel about letting the dealer touch anything. May I ask how you acquired the stripe?

Thanks!

I think it was SAI-Bud that sent me the stripe.

Archived