TEAM SHELBY FORUM

engine skip in SGT

timmyer

I have noticed that while speed shifting the engines seems to shut of for a split second. I assume this is the traction control doing this, I have never noticed it doing this with the contol turned off. While driving yesterday I got down on it pretty hard in 1st going into 2nd. It shut of for a split second and then the engine had a bad miss or skip. As if 1 or 2 plug wires came off. It continued as I drove on for about a mile. Pressed to clutch in to rev engine and it continued to miss. Pulled of the road into a parking lot and turned the engine off. Waited about 10 seconds and cranked it up and its fine. Any thoughts on what this could have been..............

Tim Myer

I have noticed that while speed shifting the engines seems to shut of for a split second. I assume this is the traction control doing this, I have never noticed it doing this with the contol turned off. While driving yesterday I got down on it pretty hard in 1st going into 2nd. It shut of for a split second and then the engine had a bad miss or skip. As if 1 or 2 plug wires came off. It continued as I drove on for about a mile. Pressed to clutch in to rev engine and it continued to miss. Pulled of the road into a parking lot and turned the engine off. Waited about 10 seconds and cranked it up and its fine. Any thoughts on what this could have been..............

Tim Myer

Tim,

On the tach. where did you shift. I'm thinikng here......you hit the rev limiter. Just a though. To have it continue though sounds like it could be computer glitch or a misfunctioning injector, could also be a bad coil on plug setup. Best to take to the dealer have them read the codes on the computer and they should be able to tell you what it was. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Yes, I was holding the gas pedal to the floor. But was not turning it out of the frame. Just playing around. I haven't heard what I would think would be the rev limiter. If it sounds anything like the one on my dragster than I have not hit it. I have never been one to watch the tach. Just go by the feel and sound of the car.....

Just got back from Tulsa Meet where I spent Thursday at the open track event... Constantly hit the rev limiter on the straights, as I was watching the cars in front of me (no passing allowed) instead of inside the car... Based on feeling, acceleration and exhaust sound, the car seemed to want to rev higher before I really wanted to shift... However, the limiter kicked in right above 6,000 and it felt like a plug wire or two had just popped off... Hit the brakes going into the turn and everything was good to go for the next straight away...

And for the record, the S/C cars really do "haul the mail"... I was in front of one of the SAI Prptotype Cars (didn't know it was also modded with the S/C) and for 15-mins all I saw was his billet grill in my rear-view mirror... Maybe that's why he was warming up his tires on the Pace Lap... Disregard the Steeda... Notice the 2nd car has the white only fascia... Too bad I didn't notice the gauge pod, 20" razors and larger brakes until we got back into the parking area...

07SGT0547

There is a note in the Shelby owners manual that says do not power shift. I don't know the reason but the traction control and rev limiter may have something to do with it.

I do know these 4.6L engines seem to redline before they quit pulling. With my 5.0L I can feel the power falling off way before it cuts out. I have speed shifted it many times while racing and never had any problems in the 10 years I have had it.

Archived