TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust Banging - has anyone taken pictures???

greengiant

I've also got the exahust "banging" problem over bumps, and in hard corners over bumps. Sounds like it's coming from the rear.

Seems to be a common problem - has anyone taken some digital pictures of the brackets/problem areas that show with some pictures what to adjust?

I'd prefer to do this myself if it is somewhat easy, as my dealer is awful.

(SAI - pictures on how to do this, or show our dealers would be outstanding)

I've heard of moving brackets or cutting them, pictures for me would be worth 1000 words!

I've also got the exahust "banging" problem over bumps, and in hard corners over bumps. Sounds like it's coming from the rear.

Seems to be a common problem - has anyone taken some digital pictures of the brackets/problem areas that show with some pictures what to adjust?

I'd prefer to do this myself if it is somewhat easy, as my dealer is awful.

(SAI - pictures on how to do this, or show our dealers would be outstanding)

I've heard of moving brackets or cutting them, pictures for me would be worth 1000 words!

Agreed! Anyone help us muscle car amateurs?

:unsure:

Seems like this is an ongoing problem, for I have the same problem but I am not putting duct tape on a 40k car that is new, I am putting it up on a lift at my friends shop and see what the real deal is and I will let you guys know what I find and what to do.

The real deal on my car is:

1. Driver's side - muffler bracket where the round support rod goes through the muffler is hitting the back of the bumper frame rail. Need to drop the muffler and cut about 1/2" off the rod. Also, exhaust tip is hitting bumper frame rail and rear bumper exhaust hole cut out.

2. Passenger side - exhaust tip is hitting bumper frame rail and rear bumper exhaust hole cut out.

I am unsure on how to drop the exhaust pipe and muffler brackets 1/2" to clear the bumper frame rail b/c there are no adjustments on the muffler brackets to raise or lower the hight of the exhaust system. Unless, I slot the muffler brackets by 1/2" so the exhaust system will drop down. I would also have to use 1/2" spacers and longer bolts that attach to the frame.

4.53 MB - It's big - unless you have cable / broadband it may take too long. It will download for me (cable) in about 20 secs.

4.53 MB - It's big - unless you have cable / broadband it may take too long. It will download for me (cable) in about 20 secs.

HOLY CRAP! :blink:

Are you sure that's exhaust?

Sounds more like a drive shaft to me.

There is absolutely something wrong there.....

You might try this. I did it on my Dodge when I had driveshaft problems. Assuming you have the facilities to do so, jack your rear wheels off the ground (scotch the front) and then place some jack stands under the axle (as close to the wheels as possible so you will have stability) holding the wheels off the ground. Don't get too high up, just enough to accomplish what you need. Put in in reverse and then see if you still have that same problem. If so you should be able to see where it's coming from.

If you need friction on the rear wheels, pull your emergency brake a little so the engine can torque up.

Believe it or not, this is how Dodge recommends you balance the shaft using hose clamps.

Believe it or not, this is how Dodge recommends you balance the shaft using hose clamps.

Stump......I thought the same thing when I heard it.

No wonder Benz want's to sell Chrysler :lol: I have never heard of that.....oh my word....are you talking about taking a hose clap for like a radiatior, larger, and straping them around the drive shaft?

Stump......I thought the same thing when I heard it.

No wonder Benz want's to sell Chrysler :lol: I have never heard of that.....oh my word....are you talking about taking a hose clap for like a radiatior, larger, and straping them around the drive shaft?

You got it. I was very surprised. Like I said before, I don't miss that truck at all and Chrysler should give me the money I wasted on it for nearly two years.

HOLY CRAP! :blink:

Are you sure that's exhaust?

Sounds more like a drive shaft to me.

There is absolutely something wrong there.....

You might try this. I did it on my Dodge when I had driveshaft problems. Assuming you have the facilities to do so, jack your rear wheels off the ground (scotch the front) and then place some jack stands under the axle (as close to the wheels as possible so you will have stability) holding the wheels off the ground. Don't get too high up, just enough to accomplish what you need. Put in in reverse and then see if you still have that same problem. If so you should be able to see where it's coming from.

If you need friction on the rear wheels, pull your emergency brake a little so the engine can torque up.

I'm not understanding how a driveshaft can make that sort of noise, but I'll mention it to my dealer. The way the knocking comes about, at least from my perspective is...

1. I let out my clutch, partially (its slipping at this point) whether in forward or reverse, w/ a little throttle, enough to achieve a normal parking or garage entrance speed,

2. At a certain rpm it seems like maybe the engine / trans begins to rock side to side a bit...

3. Immediately followed by the banging noise, which seems to be coming from the rear.

4. Once it gets going its almost like a harmonic oscillation...kind of wierd.

5. I can control it / stop it by either pushing in the clutch, or letting it all the way out.

I think the engine rocking is causing the exhaust system to bang against something, somewhere. I've mentioned to the mechanics to check the engine and transmission mounts, but I don't think they have (yet).

Archived