TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Hood Scoop Replacement

mffarrell

My car is scheduled to have the hood scoop replaced next week. The dealer has received a replacement from Shelby. The dealer is Diablo Ford in Pittsburg, CA.

How complicated is it to replace the scoop? I have read some horror stories on this forum about stripes not aligning and hood stripes having to be replaced.

Also, is it true that hood has to be removed? I would think this would be a simple replacement?

Does a body shop need to do the replacement, or can a general mechanic accomplish the replacement?

Finally, could someone please give me a brief description for the removal and replacement of the hood scoop?

The only reason why I am having replaced is that there are bubbles on the sides of the scoop, and a scratch on the scoop. My CSM # is 07SGT0435.

I am thinking now that maybe I'll just live with the bubbles, because I don't want some gear head butchering my baby.

Many thanks,

My car is scheduled to have the hood scoop replaced next week. The dealer has received a replacement from Shelby. The dealer is Diablo Ford in Pittsburg, CA.

How complicated is it to replace the scoop? I have read some horror stories on this forum about stripes not aligning and hood stripes having to be replaced.

Also, is it true that hood has to be removed? I would think this would be a simple replacement?

Does a body shop need to do the replacement, or can a general mechanic accomplish the replacement?

Finally, could someone please give me a brief description for the removal and replacement of the hood scoop?

The only reason why I am having replaced is that there are bubbles on the sides of the scoop, and a scratch on the scoop. My CSM # is 07SGT0435.

I am thinking now that maybe I'll just live with the bubbles, because I don't want some gear head butchering my baby.

Many thanks,

sigh...lol....not sure I want to answer this lol

Whatever you do....do not let them tell you your stripes are off on the hood itself. What happened to me, was the replacement that was sent...well the stripe was off on the scoop itself..not the hood ! If the stripe is off on the hood...that is an easy fix ! Check it BEFORE they try to put it on.

According to Shelby, the hood needs to come off to do it properly. The Ford body shop where I took mine refused to do this...and it shows. I am still not satisfied with my scoop....and not sure what we are going to do at this point.

Just make sure they follow SAI's instructions is all I can recommend.

I am still waiting to see if SAI comes out with a better fitting scoop.

Mine was looking fairly good, but after a 500 mile road trip it has started to lift again.

I am living with it currently, because I haven't recovered from the experience I had with my original dealer.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sue

sigh...lol....not sure I want to answer this lol

Whatever you do....do not let them tell you your stripes are off on the hood itself. What happened to me, was the replacement that was sent...well the stripe was off on the scoop itself..not the hood ! If the stripe is off on the hood...that is an easy fix ! Check it BEFORE they try to put it on.

According to Shelby, the hood needs to come off to do it properly. The Ford body shop where I took mine refused to do this...and it shows. I am still not satisfied with my scoop....and not sure what we are going to do at this point.

Just make sure they follow SAI's instructions is all I can recommend.

I am still waiting to see if SAI comes out with a better fitting scoop.

Mine was looking fairly good, but after a 500 mile road trip it has started to lift again.

I am living with it currently, because I haven't recovered from the experience I had with my original dealer.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sue

Thanks Sue!

I can't understand why you would have to remove the hood. That makes no sense to me. I use to run a body shop years ago, (my own) so I know a little about sheetmetal and body work. I will not let anybody remove my hood. It looks like a simple replacement provided the stripe is aligned.

Now, I am unsure if I will have them replace it. It may be better to wait awhile and see what SAI does. SAI claims they have fixed the defect with the current scoop. It is either a bad injection mold/process, or a mechanical issue on how the scoop attaches to the hood.

BTW, I also have the muffler rattle problem that I will try to see if I can handle a fix myself. I just think that the stealerships, in general do shoddy work, even on highline cars. I have learned my lesson with my 996 Porsche when it had warranty issues. The mechanic butchered the inside of my interior installing a new CD player. The dealer ended up replacing two door panels at a cost of $3000. They probably claimed it as warranty work.

Thanks Sue!

I can't understand why you would have to remove the hood. That makes no sense to me. I use to run a body shop years ago, (my own) so I know a little about sheetmetal and body work. I will not let anybody remove my hood. It looks like a simple replacement provided the stripe is aligned.

Here's the "scoop" :D

If, you do not take off the hood, the scoop will not line up properly and you will not get it to fit flush. You HAVE to have one person on top to hold it down and make sure the stripes line up. The other person has to be underneath to install the bolts. They first put a little bit of locktite on the bolts. Starting from the rear of the scoop, they install the bolts. They do not tighten the rear ones all the way yet. Then they work towards the front. While the person underneath is doing this, the top person is holding the scoop in place. Also while he is hold the scoop, he also is sort of "pushing" (almost like cupping) the sides in at the same time. After all 10 bolts are installed, the bottom person can go back and tighten up all of the bolts. But, they can not be over tightened. This can really distort the scoop.

As for the hood coming off. On the stanges, its really easy to remove AND it goes right back on where it came off. Meaning, there are no aligniment points. The wholes on the hinges not not oblonged. So the hood will not slide around. It goes right back on the way it came off.

So as you can see what we do to install the scoop, you can tell that there is no way to put the scoop on correctly with the hood still on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Bud

Here's the "scoop" :D

If, you do not take off the hood, the scoop will not line up properly and you will not get it to fit flush. You HAVE to have one person on top to hold it down and make sure the stripes line up. The other person has to be underneath to install the bolts. They first put a little bit of locktite on the bolts. Starting from the rear of the scoop, they install the bolts. They do not tighten the rear ones all the way yet. Then they work towards the front. While the person underneath is doing this, the top person is holding the scoop in place. Also while he is hold the scoop, he also is sort of "pushing" (almost like cupping) the sides in at the same time. After all 10 bolts are installed, the bottom person can go back and tighten up all of the bolts. But, they can not be over tightened. This can really distort the scoop.

As for the hood coming off. On the stanges, its really easy to remove AND it goes right back on where it came off. Meaning, there are no aligniment points. The wholes on the hinges not not oblonged. So the hood will not slide around. It goes right back on the way it came off.

So as you can see what we do to install the scoop, you can tell that there is no way to put the scoop on correctly with the hood still on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Bud

Ohh I believe you Bud, as you know, I am just having a hard time finding a dealership that will do it that way.

Archived