TEAM SHELBY FORUM

0914 is here, thoughts, and stories involved, long and good.

greengiant

Finally, my car, ordered Dec 23rd of last year has arrived. Believe me, there were times I thought that it would never make it.

This one will make most jealous, and there is a very upset dealer out there. It's a bit long. The day I bought my car the dealer signed paperwork for 31k, and I put 5k down. At the time, I had no idea that the car would retail for 39k or so, with leather etc. I hadn't researched the car much other than to see a few pictures, and that I wanted a mustang. I bought it on impulse. I'm normally not an impulse guy, but figured at what I thought was 750 bucks over at the time it wasn't a horrid deal.

Fast forward a few weeks later. I decided I'd want a supercharger. So, I asked the dealer to research it and they didn't learn much. They talked to their Ford rep several times. Clueless.

So I tell them I need to purchase the car outright before they get it so I can get the SC put on in Vegas. They talk to their Ford rep who confirms. At this point I've learned the car should retail for about 35k, though information was sketchy as we all know (mid january). Dealer tells me I got a good deal, but based on what their Ford rep has told them I was paying 750 bucks over, which was still a good deal as most folks were paying 2-3k over. They laughed when they said the guy after me for car two at their dealer paid 3k over and was paying 34k.

Ok, at this point the dealer is acting arrogant and indifferent while knowing nothing, so I just shut up and walked out. Typical car dealer.

So Mid-Feb rolls around and the car was released from Ford so the dealer calls me to finalize the deal. They can't wait. They tell me to bring the original paperwork in, etc. I figure it's time to learn they are going to change the original deal on me and I'm in for a battle. Again, paperwork signed for 31k, 5k put down 3 months earlier. They tell me it's 750 bucks over, and they've talked to their Ford Rep and Shelby a number of times at this point. They also acted arrogant/indifferent when I told them I heard the price had changed again.

I'm ready for the battle, my hope is to walk out somewhere in between on price.

I get there, and they CAN'T wait to have me sign the final deal. I mean paperwork is ready to go at 31k, they have all sorts of documentation for me to sign saying they are not paying for the SC. I mean, it's like they want me out of there ASAP.

So I'm going through everything in the paperwork with a fine tooth comb. Figuring this is too good to be true. Honestly, this is 2 months after I sign my deal in late February now, I signed the deal in December. So, it all looks good, and I sign it.

A week later my title shows up. Amazing, I bought the car for 31k, 33k with taxes.

So, 3 weeks after that, in early March, the sales manager calls me. They "made a mistake" in the paperwork and could I come in just to talk. I tell him, no, I bought the car I have a title. He plays hardball, threatens legal action, then acts nice and wants me just to come in and talk. I mean, they try every angle on me. Dishonest several times (without getting into too much they lied about conversations with Shelby), and tried the typical car dealer stuff. I tell them no, i'm not coming. A week later they call again, acting all nice telling me I'll get the best deal I've ever gotten (yes, I know what you are all thinking). Plays real nice, couldn't be nicer this time. I tell him no, so then he lets me know that "everyone here knows about your deal, including the service folks". Basically insinuating that I should never come in for service as they might not treat the car right. Fine by me, it's sour grapes, and dishonest, but then again the car industry wonders why it has problems. Hey, they had 2 months before I signed the final paperwork and acted indifferent when I told them I heard that the pricing had changed on the car (turns out it never did and the pricing information was all in the Ford Concepts system in December when I signed the deal, my dealer just never looked, even after I told them the price had changed, and they talked to both their Ford rep and Shelby multiple times)

Plus, the car is being home delievered to me anyways as it's got a SC.

So yesterday it arrives.

It looks great. My hood scoop isn't perfect, but at this point I knew that would likely happen. The rear passenger side is lifted about 1/16 of an inch. The exhaust doesn't rattle, but it does bang a bit over big bumps and in hard corners over bumps. I'm going to wait 500 or so miles and hope Shelby is still working towards a more permanent fix on both issues.

However, it drives great. My stickers look good with no bubbles. My favorite part of the car is the Hurst Shifter. I love the cue ball. I cleaned up the exterior yesterday with Zaino's (and the car needed it, that dessert air is tough!).

John was also great. Yes, the man can be hard to get a hold of but he's not avoiding you. He's a busy man. Called to let me know when it left, and to check on it when it got here. Oh yeah, he was cool enough to help me get 0914 as my serial number. 9/14 is my birthday.

All in all it was a lengthy and at times stressful purchase. But given what I paid, WOW what a car.

My hope is that Shelby finds a long term fix for the scoops, and that we all figure out the exhaust banging. (again, mine is not a rattle, it bangs loudly over bumps and hard corner bumps). Ultimately though, the car looks great, and with the SC... wow what a ride. Can't wait until I break it in. My only potential upgrades will be to find a way to improve the brakes (pads and rotors?) and maybe a light window tint.

It's a BLAST to drive.

Finally, my car, ordered Dec 23rd of last year has arrived. Believe me, there were times I thought that it would never make it.

This one will make most jealous, and there is a very upset dealer out there. It's a bit long. The day I bought my car the dealer signed paperwork for 31k, and I put 5k down. At the time, I had no idea that the car would retail for 39k or so, with leather etc. I hadn't researched the car much other than to see a few pictures, and that I wanted a mustang. I bought it on impulse. I'm normally not an impulse guy, but figured at what I thought was 750 bucks over at the time it wasn't a horrid deal.

Fast forward a few weeks later. I decided I'd want a supercharger. So, I asked the dealer to research it and they didn't learn much. They talked to their Ford rep several times. Clueless.

So I tell them I need to purchase the car outright before they get it so I can get the SC put on in Vegas. They talk to their Ford rep who confirms. At this point I've learned the car should retail for about 35k, though information was sketchy as we all know (mid january). Dealer tells me I got a good deal, but based on what their Ford rep has told them I was paying 750 bucks over, which was still a good deal as most folks were paying 2-3k over. They laughed when they said the guy after me for car two at their dealer paid 3k over and was paying 34k.

Ok, at this point the dealer is acting arrogant and indifferent while knowing nothing, so I just shut up and walked out. Typical car dealer.

So Mid-Feb rolls around and the car was released from Ford so the dealer calls me to finalize the deal. They can't wait. They tell me to bring the original paperwork in, etc. I figure it's time to learn they are going to change the original deal on me and I'm in for a battle. Again, paperwork signed for 31k, 5k put down 3 months earlier. They tell me it's 750 bucks over, and they've talked to their Ford Rep and Shelby a number of times at this point. They also acted arrogant/indifferent when I told them I heard the price had changed again.

I'm ready for the battle, my hope is to walk out somewhere in between on price.

I get there, and they CAN'T wait to have me sign the final deal. I mean paperwork is ready to go at 31k, they have all sorts of documentation for me to sign saying they are not paying for the SC. I mean, it's like they want me out of there ASAP.

So I'm going through everything in the paperwork with a fine tooth comb. Figuring this is too good to be true. Honestly, this is 2 months after I sign my deal in late February now, I signed the deal in December. So, it all looks good, and I sign it.

A week later my title shows up. Amazing, I bought the car for 31k, 33k with taxes.

So, 3 weeks after that, in early March, the sales manager calls me. They "made a mistake" in the paperwork and could I come in just to talk. I tell him, no, I bought the car I have a title. He plays hardball, threatens legal action, then acts nice and wants me just to come in and talk. I mean, they try every angle on me. Dishonest several times (without getting into too much they lied about conversations with Shelby), and tried the typical car dealer stuff. I tell them no, i'm not coming. A week later they call again, acting all nice telling me I'll get the best deal I've ever gotten (yes, I know what you are all thinking). Plays real nice, couldn't be nicer this time. I tell him no, so then he lets me know that "everyone here knows about your deal, including the service folks". Basically insinuating that I should never come in for service as they might not treat the car right. Fine by me, it's sour grapes, and dishonest, but then again the car industry wonders why it has problems. Hey, they had 2 months before I signed the final paperwork and acted indifferent when I told them I heard that the pricing had changed on the car (turns out it never did and the pricing information was all in the Ford Concepts system in December when I signed the deal, my dealer just never looked, even after I told them the price had changed, and they talked to both their Ford rep and Shelby multiple times)

Plus, the car is being home delievered to me anyways as it's got a SC.

So yesterday it arrives.

It looks great. My hood scoop isn't perfect, but at this point I knew that would likely happen. The rear passenger side is lifted about 1/16 of an inch. The exhaust doesn't rattle, but it does bang a bit over big bumps and in hard corners over bumps. I'm going to wait 500 or so miles and hope Shelby is still working towards a more permanent fix on both issues.

However, it drives great. My stickers look good with no bubbles. My favorite part of the car is the Hurst Shifter. I love the cue ball. I cleaned up the exterior yesterday with Zaino's (and the car needed it, that dessert air is tough!).

John was also great. Yes, the man can be hard to get a hold of but he's not avoiding you. He's a busy man. Called to let me know when it left, and to check on it when it got here. Oh yeah, he was cool enough to help me get 0914 as my serial number. 9/14 is my birthday.

All in all it was a lengthy and at times stressful purchase. But given what I paid, WOW what a car.

My hope is that Shelby finds a long term fix for the scoops, and that we all figure out the exhaust banging. (again, mine is not a rattle, it bangs loudly over bumps and hard corner bumps). Ultimately though, the car looks great, and with the SC... wow what a ride. Can't wait until I break it in. My only potential upgrades will be to find a way to improve the brakes (pads and rotors?) and maybe a light window tint.

It's a BLAST to drive.

Am I reading this right...you bought this car for 31000 ?????????????

So basically you got it for the base plus SC , and no add on SAI package cost?

Correct, dealer never wanted to listen to me, and acted arrogant and indifferent.

So, other than 750 bucks, I did not pay the dealer for the SAI package.

Then, I paid Shelby directly for the SC and lower light package.

ROTFLMAO!!! That is awesome!! Sorry to those dealers that come on here like Michael but that is just priceless. Michael is not the type of sales person that we all hate so I know he wont take offense to my glee in this. It sucks for the dealer but as you said they are the morons who are at fault. And after MANY, MANY of us got treated like crap and talked down to and all the other BS we had to go through to teach dealers what the car we wanted to buy, this is just justice IMO. Congrads dude, this just made my day!LOL Oh and I have been dying to say this week and it seems even more appropriate after reading this so here goes....HO HO HO GREEEEEN GIANT!!! :)

Hey, greengiant - do you have a dad and brother that live in Geneva, Illinois?

I have a similar story - I was originally looking for a Mustang GT. I checked the internet for inventory and found a black GT with strips and an "upfitters" package at a dealership near me. I printed out the page and went to the dealership. Showed them the printout and they said they didn't know the car, so they started looking through their books. Finally they figured out that the car had been ordered by someone, so I could not have it.

The next day I get a call from the dealership. The person who had ordered the car no longer wanted the car, so come on in and take a look. I went over to the dealership, and walked around the corner, and saw #2082 - immediately I fell in love with the car.

At this point I didn't really know anything about the car. Originally had been looking for a GT500, but $65K was too much money. I had seen a GT in a dealership at the time, but just wasn't sure what it was. But when I saw #2082 I wanted it.

I'm looking over the car as they are prepping it. The guy prepping it asks if I'm going to buy it, and I tell him I will if I get a good price. He says the salesman will probably let me have it for $8K over sticker. I think to myself <bleep> I'm not going to be able to afford it.

The salesman pulls me into his office and we start talking. He goes to talk to his manager, then comes back and tells me that it's a rare car, he knows I want it. He said the BEST he can do is sticker - that is $32K. Like I said, I did not know what the price was for the car. So I said, how about $500 off? He goes and talks to the manager again and comes back and says no, $32K is the best he can do. I said, OK, I'm going to go home and think about it and if I want it I will come back later.

I go home and start looking around on the internet and figure the car should be at least $38K. Not sure why I'm getting such a deal on it. Talk to my wife and decide to buy it. We head back to the dealership at about 8pm. Sit down with the salesman and make the decision to buy it. As we're filling out the paperwork, he says, oh wait there is one more thing. I'm thinking to myself 'here it comes'. He tells me there is a $1K gas guzzler tax - WHEW. Add it on I say. Total comes out to $35K with everything. I write I check for $35K and drive it home on a Wednesday night.

On Saturday, I checked my bank statements and see that the dealership had cashed the check. Later on Saturday I receive a call from the dealership. It's the manager. He asks how I like the car - can't help to smile and say 'I'm loving it!' He then says, "ah we have a problem with the sale of the car" He begins to tell me that the salesman didn't know it was a Shelby and that I got it for a lot less than I should have. He says I was in and out with the car so fast with the car that no one caught the problem. He asks if there is anything we can do. I tell him, I'm sorry, but the check's already cashed and that's a legally binding contract, so nothing I can do. I get off of the phone and start jumping up and down.

It really wasn't until I found this forum that I realized how lucky I am - I waited a day for the car, and got it for $35K.

I do have to say I love the car. Never thought I'd own a Shelby, but the car came to me.

Greengiant - if your dad and brother live in Geneva, I have yet another story.

ROTFLMAO!!! That is awesome!! Sorry to those dealers that come on here like Michael but that is just priceless. Michael is not the type of sales person that we all hate so I know he wont take offense to my glee in this. It sucks for the dealer but as you said they are the morons who are at fault. And after MANY, MANY of us got treated like crap and talked down to and all the other BS we had to go through to teach dealers what the car we wanted to buy, this is just justice IMO. Congrads dude, this just made my day!LOL Oh and I have been dying to say this week and it seems even more appropriate after reading this so here goes....HO HO HO GREEEEEN GIANT!!! :)

You know, I think I brought it up to them a couple of times due to guilt - why, I don't know but when the dealer didn't listen... oh well. Then they acted like total two-faced...

But my thought is this. I know over my grandparents final years they went in many times and didn't negotiate much, if at all on their Buicks. I saw what they paid a few times and I never heard of a dealer calling them to offer money back because the market price should have been different.

So, when the dealer cried poor to me, that was it. Seriously, I was prepared many times when I went in to find a middle ground. Then, when they call me 3 weeks after I closed the deal, and 2.5 months after I signed the deal. Tough luck.

To top it off they told me they LOST 8k on the deal.

I then started doing the math for them, and they knew I wasn't going to mess around.

Figure the car at invoice ran them about 25K before shelby costs. Plus you still have holdback built into the deal. I paid 31k. I figure worst case they lost about 1500 bucks, not 8k. I started doing the math for the guy and he started to cave to me and said, well no, we didn't lose 8k, it was more like 4k. I then did some more math and he then said, well, yeah, about 2k.

Then all the crap about "everyone here knows about you, even the service guys"

Like I DID something wrong. I signed a deal, I put my money down, I told them twice I heard pricing had changed (even though they should have known in december), I showed up with my financing in tact.

Yet this guy at the end treated me like crap, and tried to make it seem like I was in the wrong.

So yes, NO DOUBT there are a lot of good honest dealers out there. But, the car industry earned it's reputation on it's own.

It's funny, a few months later I bought a mini-van for my wife. Found a fair price, showed up, bought it. Great dealer.

Archived