TEAM SHELBY FORUM

373's install $1050 incl ring & pinion...

SWEDESHELBY1

I talked to my SVT dealer today and he said he would install a 373 ring/pinion and include labor and fluids for $1050, is this what it is going for? I don't think that is a bad deal for the increase in times and efficency you get from the change. They said it gets rid of any "lag" going from 1st to second and second to third and so on. The SVT team there has done it for one guy and they said the change felt like it added a noticable 50 HP and he loved it. So I think instead of going for an SC I think I'll leave it more the way it came and do the gear changes. :D

I talked to my SVT dealer today and he said he would install a 373 ring/pinion and include labor and fluids for $1050, is this what it is going for? I don't think that is a bad deal for the increase in times and efficency you get from the change. They said it gets rid of any "lag" going from 1st to second and second to third and so on. The SVT team there has done it for one guy and they said the change felt like it added a noticable 50 HP and he loved it. So I think instead of going for an SC I think I'll leave it more the way it came and do the gear changes. :D

That seems high. I had 4:56's installed in my Dodge truck for about $650-$700 complete. At Dallas Mustang, 4.10 R&P is about $200, the master install kit is about $100 so anything over that is pure labor. I would shop around.

Sounds high to me. The 3:73 ring and pinion and install kit is about $300. Seems like a lot of $ for the labor. That's just me though. But save for the SC you won't regret it. Trust me! :D

If you can wait a few months you'll be able to get new heavy duty take-off rear ends (3.31s) from SS conversions and add the 3.73 ring and pinion set for less than $1050.

Thanks. I thought that sounded high, but they make it so easy and with a rental car included, excellent warranty and the old saying " If anything should go wrong we'll be here for you blah blah blah". Thanks for the input, I am going to contact my Blue Oval High-Pro shop now and see what they can do.

Swede

Thanks. I thought that sounded high, but they make it so easy and with a rental car included, excellent warranty and the old saying " If anything should go wrong we'll be here for you blah blah blah". Thanks for the input, I am going to contact my Blue Oval High-Pro shop now and see what they can do.

Swede

Swede I just had 4.10s install by a local performance shop that does race cars, suspension tranny the whole nine yards. He stated don't install any gears unless they are FOMOCO ever thing is garbage!!! Cost me, complete install $635.00 plus tax NY 8.7%?? (cash) and quiet as a mouse. I left the shop smoking the tires!! YeeHa!!

Swede I just had 4.10s install by a local performance shop that does race cars, suspension tranny the whole nine yards. He stated don't install any gears unless they are FOMOCO ever thing is garbage!!! Cost me, complete install $635.00 plus tax NY 8.7%?? (cash) and quiet as a mouse. I left the shop smoking the tires!! YeeHa!!

Louie- OK just went to my BlueOval High-Pro shop and your right. FOMOCO gears installed @ $650 complete!! Whoowoo. Now let me ask you something I did not ask RIHarley, what did you do with the speedometer calculations? Also would you reccoment I go 373's or 410's? I drive the freeway 42 miles round trip each day to the office.

Thanks... B)

Louie- OK just went to my BlueOval High-Pro shop and your right. FOMOCO gears installed @ $650 complete!! Whoowoo. Now let me ask you something I did not ask RIHarley, what did you do with the speedometer calculations? Also would you reccoment I go 373's or 410's? I drive the freeway 42 miles round trip each day to the office.

Thanks... B)

Swede If I had a second choice I would install 4.30s instead of 4.10s, this is my fun car and get on the Highway and nail it in 3rd gear and boom gone by the time I shift into 4th I am around 120mph then 5th I boom again!

What I am trying to say is go with the 4.10 for manual and 3.73 with auto. You will probably won't be using 1st gear alot, I take off in 2nd then shift to 4th when I don't feel like shifting. On highway in 5th gear 2300 rpms i doing 70+ and 3000rpms in 4th is like 60mph it's your preference. When you want to have fun especially when somebody pulls up to you boom gone, do you get it!! 4.10 all the way. I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO!!!

I order the SC from SAI to have my local dyno shop to install SC. I set my speedo calibration with a SCT2 Tuner, yes I know the SC from SAI comes with a tuner, I will be selling Steeda Eblow and Tuner on Ebay.

The tuner and elbow was premature but I want THE POWER BABY if you know what I mine.

Swede If I had a second choice I would install 4.30s instead of 4.10s, this is my fun car and get on the Highway and nail it in 3rd gear and boom gone by the time I shift into 4th I am around 120mph then 5th I boom again!

What I am trying to say is go with the 4.10 for manual and 3.73 with auto. You will probably won't be using 1st gear alot, I take off in 2nd then shift to 4th when I don't feel like shifting. On highway in 5th gear 2300 rpms i doing 70+ and 3000rpms in 4th is like 60mph it's your preference. When you want to have fun especially when somebody pulls up to you boom gone, do you get it!! 4.10 all the way. I don't want to say I TOLD YOU SO!!!

I order the SC from SAI to have my local dyno shop to install SC. I set my speedo calibration with a SCT2 Tuner, yes I know the SC from SAI comes with a tuner, I will be selling Steeda Eblow and Tuner on Ebay.

The tuner and elbow was premature but I want THE POWER BABY if you know what I mine.

Ok, so after the 4.10 install you recalibrated your speedometer with a SCT2 tuner? How much did that cost? You have got me going on the 4.10's now, but i still think I will go 373's because I drive it every day to the office.

Thanks for the information. B)

I called an ex-Ford Master tech today. The reason a dealer may be higher in cost is due to the Ford Racing install kit. The kit includes carrier bearings and other misc. items for the install. The job as he recalls pays the tech 2.6 hrs. that x's the shop rate would be increased cost. The install kit is much more also.

His shop is getting between $600-$750 depending on the circumstance. Rusted bolts, blown ring and pinion vs. a change of gears only etc. Hopefully you now have a handle on the pricing.

As for the recal yes you would need to have the computer flashed. The Diablo that came with your cold air kit should be able to be used, it would be just tech time to flash. Hope this helps.

Swede:

I paid $550.oo for my 4.10 gears install. I used a local Mustang Racer shop in Seekonk, MA. Try Mike Dez racing. He didn't charge me for the install kit from FORD becuase he had plenty of spacers in the shop. Go to a local race shop, they'll have more expereince with the job and not rape you with dealer pricing out of shop manual. IMHO.

-Tim-

Swede:

I paid $550.oo for my 4.10 gears install. I used a local Mustang Racer shop in Seekonk, MA. Try Mike Dez racing. He didn't charge me for the install kit from FORD becuase he had plenty of spacers in the shop. Go to a local race shop, they'll have more expereince with the job and not rape you with dealer pricing out of shop manual. IMHO.

-Tim-

Swede, I just got back from hanging out with RIHarley. He took me for a ride again only now with the 4:10's. I am definitely going with the 4:10's. The shifting wasn't nearly as bad as I thought for daily driving.

Thanks RIHarley. And thanks Swede for posting this discussion and helping me get into gear (pun intended) with making a decision.

Adam

Archived