TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Water Spots?

dmather

I have had my black SGT # 1274 for 6weeks now, and love driving the car. Have had some minor issues fixed. But, I have what appears to be water spots that keep apearing. I wash and dry the car in the shade. I have polished and waxed the car . The spots seem go away but they reappear a sort time later,THE SAME ONES. It was like this when the car was in the showroom. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. Could it be acid rain? If so what is the fix? thanks guys

Black looks great cleaned but it does show everything.

What part of the country are you located in? It could be acid rain or it could be other fall-out. It is not hard water if the car looked like this in the showroom. Bird droppings, fluids of some kind. What size spots are you talking about?

Well that being said if it is in the clear coat and has not penitrated it can or I should I say should be able to be buffed out with a mild abraisive compound. Deeper stains would need to be wet sanded then buffed. If it bothers you that much, as it would I, install and inline water filter on the end of the spigot prior to your hose. That would help is you don't get to wipe you car down before the water dries. The sun also acts as a magnifying glass on the water drops. This could be an entire topic. Paint finish is tough to discuss, everyone has their own method which works for them. Good luck and enjoy your ride.

But I think you may need to have it buffed prior to any further work on the finish. Then you can start with a system to maintain the finish.

I have had my black SGT # 1274 for 6weeks now, and love driving the car. Have had some minor issues fixed. But, I have what appears to be water spots that keep apearing. I wash and dry the car in the shade. I have polished and waxed the car . The spots seem go away but they reappear a sort time later,THE SAME ONES. It was like this when the car was in the showroom. Any suggestions on what to do would be appreciated. Could it be acid rain? If so what is the fix? thanks guys

Usually I get flamed for saying this but Windex works wonders. Not store brand but regular old Windex. Don't soak the car but when it's dry, mist then wipe with a microfiber rag. Don't let it sit too long as it will remove the wax but then you may need to take it down to the clear coat if that is where the problems lie.

You might also try these products which I can personally say work great.

http://www.topoftheline.com/32ozheavcutp.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/hitligcutswi.html

....I havent had the chance to try this yet to remove the hard water spots from vegas but I was told to take a water soaked but not dripping towel and place it over the spots for a couple of hours or even over night. The water will absorb the minerals that are leaving the spots and then they will be gone. Like I said I haven't tried yet myself, maybe on my next days off.

I use Griot's Garage ( http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp ) products for all my collector cars. If you live in an area with hard water, try one of their purifiers for your hose. Hope this helps. By the way, request a catalog and you get a new one about every three weeks!

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1..._1001&SKU=37244

Been using Griot's for several years and will not go to anything else. I've had a Black Porsche Boxster S , this car was full of hard water spots, and a Black BMW M3 and a 04 Cobra. Nothing made the cars look better. Labor intensive if you don't use the orbital but fantastic finishes. So, I agree. :D

....I havent had the chance to try this yet to remove the hard water spots from vegas but I was told to take a water soaked but not dripping towel and place it over the spots for a couple of hours or even over night. The water will absorb the minerals that are leaving the spots and then they will be gone. Like I said I haven't tried yet myself, maybe on my next days off.

My guess is that you would want to make sure the water in the wet rag was not hard or your problem will be worse.

Thanks , everyone for all the tips and suggestions. I think I will try the wet towel idea first, as it is less aggressive. If that doesn't work, then a mild abrasive buff. Last resort is wet sand and buff. That sure would give a show car shine . Never heard of the Windex thing , but worth a try. My dealers' paint guy says wet sand, treat with baking soda, then buff. I don't know, I hate to go that route if I don't have to. Any way, I'll have to take the car for a ride while I think about it. I will let you know what happens. What works and what didn't. thanks

One word...............

HONDA SPRAY

well actually thats two words, but thats besides the point, the stuff works miracles, a couple car guys i know said it will take off waterspots no problem, they took the spots off his bike when nothing else would

Archived