TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHelbyGT Hood Scoop Quality and Design

usatodave

Hello,

I work at a Ford Dealer in Grand Rapids, Michigan and we just received a Shelby GT in white. It's a great looking car - not like the 3, GT500's we sold last Fall, but the look is good . . . Except for the hood scoop.

It looks like an add on - well, it is, but it shouldn't look like an add on. All of the spectators who have looked at it have made the same comment. The 25 rivet look apparently isn't popular here - especially as the scoop that comes on the standard GT with the appearance package looks better thought out and finished.

Also, the scoop was poorly fitted. See the pics. There's a bad gap on the drivers side of the hood. Also note that the striping which runs over the hood and the scoop doesn't line up.

This is a special car and an expensive package. It should be finished better. I have sent E mails to management and the GT team without a reply, so I'm posting to get some feedback.

Thanks.

usatodave

Mine was exactly the same way. :o

Mine too.. I am shocked :o

dee, it's a common problem with the SGT.. I agree with you about the quality for the money.. I wish they made the hood one piece with a hood scoop.. I got mine replaced with a better one a few weeks ago.

The thing is, these hood scoops don't fit perfectly on the hood. It's not an easy bolt on and your done. You have to make adjustments to the holes where the bolts go through to align it to the stripes.

Sdear had this problem, and the dealer thought the hood stripes were off.

I have pictures, but couldn't get them to upload. Am I doing something wrong?

DH

Trust me, we all seen it. no need for pics.

From what I understand without actually going back and looking at the old posts, the fix involves drilling two more holes in the hood and adding two more bolts to a new scoop that can be obtained from SAI. Although only 4 are visible there are actually 8 bolts holding it on so that now puts a total of 10 total bolts. In the past they were real good about sending a new scoop in exchange for the old. I'm not sure if policy has changed recently though.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me as there are others on here who have had to fix the problem..

On a related or unrelated issue (depending on whom is reading), does anyone know if the Shaker system with an actual functioning scoop can be installed in the place of the bolt on? It looks to be smaller but I don't know the dimensions.

Hello,

I work at a Ford Dealer in Grand Rapids, Michigan and we just received a Shelby GT in white. It's a great looking car - not like the 3, GT500's we sold last Fall, but the look is good . . . Except for the hood scoop.

It looks like an add on - well, it is, but it shouldn't look like an add on. All of the spectators who have looked at it have made the same comment. The 25 rivet look apparently isn't popular here - especially as the scoop that comes on the standard GT with the appearance package looks better thought out and finished.

Also, the scoop was poorly fitted. See the pics. There's a bad gap on the drivers side of the hood. Also note that the striping which runs over the hood and the scoop doesn't line up.

This is a special car and an expensive package. It should be finished better. I have sent E mails to management and the GT team without a reply, so I'm posting to get some feedback.

Thanks.

usatodave

I agree. The hood scoop is the one cosmetic thing i don't care for personally, other than i'm not a fan of black wheels which is easily changed. I haven't talked to one person in my area that likes them either. When talking about the SGT's the first comment i always seem to hear is "don't like the fake scoop" not to mention the quality.

But i don't think there's ever been a car built that i wouldn't change something on it.

I did not have a problem at first although it did not fit exactly flush but I now have about 6K miles on the car and the scoop is actually getting more loose as we drive it!

It will be a this weekend project to see if I can fix it correctly.

I don't think you should have to work on it unless you prefer to, it's a new car with a warranty.

My 2 cents

On a related or unrelated issue (depending on whom is reading), does anyone know if the Shaker system with an actual functioning scoop can be installed in the place of the bolt on? It looks to be smaller but I don't know the dimensions.

Thats what I was thinking also. If I'm going to have a hood scoop, i want a functional one. But then I might go get a supercharger, so a shaker hood scoop will be useless anyways.

From what I understand without actually going back and looking at the old posts, the fix involves drilling two more holes in the hood and adding two more bolts to a new scoop that can be obtained from SAI. Although only 4 are visible there are actually 8 bolts holding it on so that now puts a total of 10 total bolts. In the past they were real good about sending a new scoop in exchange for the old. I'm not sure if policy has changed recently though.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me as there are others on here who have had to fix the problem..

I don't see why not. The hole in the hood on my 03 Mach was a bit larger than the shaker with a rubber water seal around it with a drain hole. Not sure sure if the hood on the new cars have to have a bigger hole for the shaker than where the fake scoop is bolted.

The shakers on the Mach's gave the illusion of being real. They added little to nothing as for as performance goes under 80 mph, and after that the little bit of extra air didn't make a dimes worth of difference in the real world. They sit too far under the air stream. A lot of guys were raising them to try and get more air and it still didn't help. It gives the impression of doing something but IMO it's a marketing tool. True ram air is a huffer.

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com/catal...S/HOOD_SYSTEMS/

EDIT: Posted link without reading. Says the trim ring does not cover the holes for the factory hood scoop so it probably won't cover the ones for the Shelby scoop either.

I agree. The hood scoop is the one cosmetic thing i don't care for personally, other than i'm not a fan of black wheels which is easily changed. I haven't talked to one person in my area that likes them either. When talking about the SGT's the first comment i always seem to hear is "don't like the fake scoop" not to mention the quality.

But i don't think there's ever been a car built that i wouldn't change something on it.

I don't think you should have to work on it unless you prefer to, it's a new car with a warranty.

My 2 cents

You're are 100% correct but

1. I wouldn't trust my Honda with the dealerships around here.

2. Hopefully I can fix with locktite and tightening the bolts it will fix the issue.

You're are 100% correct but

1. I wouldn't trust my Honda with the dealerships around here.

2. Hopefully I can fix with locktite and tightening the bolts it will fix the issue.

Guess i'm lucky stump. I have a local dealer that i have been doing business with for over 20 years and they have always bent over backwards to please me.

It probably doesn't hurt that i have a brother-in-law that was a mechanic there for 23 yrs. either.

I did not have a problem at first although it did not fit exactly flush but I now have about 6K miles on the car and the scoop is actually getting more loose as we drive it!

It will be a this weekend project to see if I can fix it correctly.

StumpB- My hood scoop was tight all around as well. But after i have drove it for a while it has about 1/16 inch gap on the drivers side. To me, I can fix that. Also that is what the car came with, the riveted look so that is the Shelby design and that is what I bought, a Shelby Mustang. Now could it be better, yes. But at the time Shelby made the deal to build these cars when the company was in turmoil, unprofessionally managed and stock was in the tank. While the stock is still tanked the company is now finacially solvent, has high end management and I am sure future products will be incredible, but for the first year back, this is what we have and what we bought so lets just love it. B)

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, i'm not bashing these cars, i love em. If i didn't, i wouldn't have ordered one. I just would have done something different with the hood. Thats just personal taste.

I hope the quality issues are being addressed and think they are. When i buy a new vehicle and there's a few problems, i'm not one to get my panties in a bunch right away, as long as it's rectified by the manufacturer in a timely manner.

I think I may have posted this comment before, but why in the name of getting the cars through production in a timely manner wouldn't you just add the GT Appearance Package hood scoop to the 54U Upfitters option and then paint and/or stripe.

SAI, I'm sure has an opportunity to correct this on the last of the 07 SGT run and on the new 08 SGT coupes and convertables. Based on what has been posted they have most likely spent a chunk on warranty adjustments and new scoops etc.

Whom ever is doing the QC at the end of build is most likely not paying attention or the bolts are rattling loose during shipment or driving.

What would have been nice was the GT-H hood option being available when ordering the 54U package, spoiler (stump installed), and fog lights being added on the ford end to increase speed so you could skip the mod shop stuff.

A very nicely done vehicle and this is constructive criticism not bashing the SGT. I really want one but have just had problems dropping that much money for what you get. I do envy those that have purchased......

Just my thoughts

Good respectful discussion, thats what i like to read lol. Anyway, I like the SGT scoop, i love how it looks. It is brought back to look like the one on the cobra from yesteryears and I like that little design cue thrown in there...

my .02

Stump be careful how much you tighten down that scoop. I have noticed alot of expansion and contraction on warm sunny days. Mine seems to move alot. I havent had it in to be changed yet but when I do I want to be there to see what is under the hood felt. I am thinking there should be rubber washers used between the screw heads and the hood. This would allow for expansion while keeping the hood tight.

I like my scooper! Fake and all!

I get a 1965 Gt 350/Cobra feel when im looking the hood.................................... :)

It is a good discussion. Very low key and straight ahead. Still doesn't address the quality issue, though, and in a car like this, it seems like I'd get a response like: Send us a pic so we can see where the problem is.

So far, not a word from above. With the market value adjustment this car retails at just under $46,000. I'm sorry, but I want my scoop to be perfect for that money. Not a lot to ask or expect.

Thanks for the interest from everyone.

DH

Stump be careful how much you tighten down that scoop. I have noticed alot of expansion and contraction on warm sunny days. Mine seems to move alot. I havent had it in to be changed yet but when I do I want to be there to see what is under the hood felt. I am thinking there should be rubber washers used between the screw heads and the hood. This would allow for expansion while keeping the hood tight.

I was actually contemplating a thin piece of black weatherstripping between the scoop and car to allow for expansion.

It is a good discussion. Very low key and straight ahead. Still doesn't address the quality issue, though, and in a car like this, it seems like I'd get a response like: Send us a pic so we can see where the problem is.

So far, not a word from above. With the market value adjustment this car retails at just under $46,000. I'm sorry, but I want my scoop to be perfect for that money. Not a lot to ask or expect.

DH

DH, since I have been on this site, the imperfect hood scoop has been an issue. When I started here the CSM's were under 1000. Now we are over 3000 and obviously it's still an issue that has not been completely corrected. Like I said before I have #117 and my scoop was not perfect but I did not have the warpage and separation others have complained about. Now it's beginning.

I say all that to say this - don't know what to tell ya! :D

Oh, one more thing, if you're going to try and sell this car for $46k good luck and more power to you but I would be careful about pushing that price on this site. Just a friendly head's up.....

DeeAitch,

A possible reason why SAI isn't asking for pictures is because this has been a common flaw on the Shelby GT since the very first cars. I have been on this site since the announcement of the Shelby GT program and right from the first cars it was seen and SAI has acted. If you haven't called already there is an 800 number in the documents for you to call or try emailing SAI-Bud. He will get things straighten out for you.

On a side note, for your dealership I wish you luck getting a "market value adjustment" of $46,000. Most of us on here paid MSRP, a couple a $2000-3000 more but those are early cars. There are 3-4 dealer members on this site that are offering cars at or below MSRP.

...lol, I guess I need to type faster, Stump made my points before I could hit enter

I was actually contemplating a thin piece of black weatherstripping between the scoop and car to allow for expansion.

DH, since I have been on this site, the imperfect hood scoop has been an issue. When I started here the CSM's were under 1000. Now we are over 3000 and obviously it's still an issue that has not been completely corrected. Like I said before I have #117 and my scoop was not perfect but I did not have the warpage and separation others have complained about. Now it's beginning.

I say all that to say this - don't know what to tell ya! :D

There are several fixes that I can see,that would make it better. First,conform the hoodscoop from the manufacturer,that has a bend/taper to it,that's actually a tad tighter radius,in regards to the hood itself. So when mounting,it forms FLAT,around the edges. The 1 currently on the wifes car,the 8 holes,are too far in,to the outside of the scoop. That in itself doesn't help,as the outside edge will only follow the hood line to a certain degree.

I personally could fix it,and make it tits on perfect,but,I also don't want to deviate from the original design that Shelby did,be that good or bad.

I'm hoping in the near future,if Shelby keeps the same looking hoodscoop in future models,they they actually use the cosmetic rivets around the hood,to hold the scoop in place. Every other rivet/screw could be used,and would eliminate warranty work/repairs,IMO, Even if it was a tad more labor intensive,in the long run,you save on warranty issues.

Off topic but,grille mounting....if you know you have 6000 grilles to be produced,sub out the parts to be used in such,and mass produce em,as EVERY part would be identical,verses a chopped L bracket/s,held in 4 places by bolts/nuts,and then (cringe) ground down. Use possibly a casilated nut,with the proper length bolt.

Years ago Step-dad and I were always engineering things as need be,and we took the time and forethought to make things functional,and appearance wise they looked great. When I get the wifes 6 cylinder beater....I'll update progress here with pics :)

P.S. ... Was Mr. Shelby into Hudsons etc from years ago? Just curious

DH

Wow $46,000.00

Makes me feel like i stole mine for $500.00 over invoice.

For that price i'm afraid i would be nit picking it to death.

:P

I wish they would have made an aluminum scoop available. Fiberglass is neater than steel but since the hood is aluminum, the scoop would have be natural in aluminum. I would have paid a few hundred extra for it. Im going to see if I can get one made and make it functional as well. I hate fake stuff but I love my Shelby GT.

P1000130-745199.JPG

P1000122-724197.JPG

P1000127-725073.JPG

DeeAitch,

A possible reason why SAI isn't asking for pictures is because this has been a common flaw on the Shelby GT since the very first cars. I have been on this site since the announcement of the Shelby GT program and right from the first cars it was seen and SAI has acted. If you haven't called already there is an 800 number in the documents for you to call or try emailing SAI-Bud. He will get things straighten out for you.

On a side note, for your dealership I wish you luck getting a "market value adjustment" of $46,000. Most of us on here paid MSRP, a couple a $2000-3000 more but those are early cars. There are 3-4 dealer members on this site that are offering cars at or below MSRP.

...lol, I guess I need to type faster, Stump made my points before I could hit enter

Socaljafo,

Personally agree with you about the pricing. West Michiagn is a slightly depressed area on top of that, so I'm sure the laughs - or shock - will be flowing. We won't stick with that. We've only had the car for just over a week and the price will trim down. It's tough times in this business.

On the other hand, we had a Classic Mustang show here this weekend with over 200 cars on show. One gal came in and looked at our white one. She had just got the black version. She paid about the same, so I think we're starting out in the right range.

I'll take your advice about E mailing SAI-Bud. I'd just like to mail some pics and get some feedback is all. If nothing else it will be a learning experience. Thanks again.

DH

Archived