TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brake Idea - will the 18inch razors fit the GT500 brakes?

greengiant

Trying to figure out a way to get better braking without going to the 20 inch razor.

Ford racing offers the shelby gt500 brakes as an upgrade. It fits the 18 inch wheel on the 500, but not the 18 on the SGT/MGT.

I figure it has something to do with offset/interior diameter? (I'm not great at these things).

However, there is a razor offered at 18inches

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/detai...lloy&section=SL

Would one of those razor 18's work with these brakes?

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=9540

I just don't want 20's, but I do want better braking when my SC SGT gets here.

If I'm not mistaking, the GT500 is utilizing 18"s and has the Brembo set up in the front. You would just need to check the offset on the factory wheel vs. the Razor.

OK.. I checked the specs. The GT500 utilizes an 18x9.5" wheel with the Brembo's. I would assume the Ford Performance Part number is the same for the fitment. I really think it will be the offsets you need to check.

Hope this helps some.

.....This drove me crazy for a long time before I gave in. Our 18" bullets DO NOT fit over the Brembo kit. I asked a member on stangsunleashed who owns both a Shelby GT and a GT500 to try a long time ago. He said the bullets don't even come close to fitting. I really believe it is the offset also. When I get home I will carefully try to put on a bullet over my brakes and see where the problem is.

If you look at the Baer site the kit that reads almost word for word as the description on the Shelby shopping page says 18" wheel or larger but check fitment. I think it just has to be the offset. I think you are left with very limited options. You could probably put the GT500 wheel on your car but.........yuck. The FR500C wheel, a Fenskie(sp) I believe, is way exspensive and requires new bolts. After that a custom wheel again exspensive. Or keep looking for the right wheel.

MY 20" X 9" front wheels have a 39mm offset. Maybe that will help but I know nothing about wheels. One final thought if you are worried about weight, the last time I compared the 20" razors (SAI site) to the 18" Bullets (FRPP site), the 20" Razors actually weighed less. Please check for yourself one everything I posted.

bugger, you are right I saw that and blanked it out. The answer to that would also be no. I remember a GT500 owner on stangsunleashed who bought the 18" Razors and had to use a 1.5" spacer for the wheel to fit. In the next line he asked if there were any fender flare kits for the car. They just about lynched the poor guy.

Here are the offset's avalible for the 18" Razor's

Part # Size offset

199S-8965 18x9 12 mm

199S-8966 18x9 24 mm

199S-8967 18x9 40 mm

Offset

(mm):

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub-mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel.

I remember a GT500 owner on stangsunleashed who bought the 18" Razors and had to use a 1.5" spacer for the wheel to fit. In the next line he asked if there were any fender flare kits for the car. They just about lynched the poor guy.

He would have never had a chance!!! :lol::lol::lol:

.....Please check everything yourself though....Also, keep in mind that the Razors have a unique design where the spokes actually angle back into the car before going out to the rim. I bet that is the biggest problem and may require more offset then normal......again, please check yourself.

Green giant, take a look at these maybe one of them will work under the 18" wheels, they have a 13" and 14" kit:

http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/searchByV...rd/Mustang/2007

Also, just founfd this EBC Brakes. It looks like they have upgraded replacements for rotors and pads. I didn't look to deep try checking them out: www.ebcbrakes.com

Archived