TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone install the lower grill insert themselves??Need help!

Webba

Well I got in my lower grill insert this morning UPS. It looks good btw. Anyway I go out to install per the instructions and something just doesnt seem right. if you look at the insert so you are facing the chrome side should the holes in the metal ears be on top or bottom? I think they should be on bottom. So assuming that is correct when I slip the insert in place from behind the fascia the angle of the ears seems screwed up. The ears are bent in towards the chrome side (to the from of car) and seem like they should be bent away (towards the rear of the car). I think the ears were welded on bass ackwards and would like to find out. I have been dying to install this thing and am going to be pretty bummed if it came in wrong. Anyone that has installed this please help.

Well this really sucks. I have called out to Shelby several times and keep just getting voice mail. I left a message but no call. And now I try again and get voice mail for the main number. I am thinking they are closed early for the long weekedn. So much for getting this thing installed today and not worrying about ricks wiping out the radiator unit. I have waited over 2 weeks for this thing.

I Installed mine but drilled 4 different holes, 2 on each side so I could properly use a rivet gun so it wouldn't interfear with the plastic. No big deal as it's covered up by the 2 honeycomb pieces. It did however take longer than a 1/2 hour.

Well this really sucks. I have called out to Shelby several times and keep just getting voice mail. I left a message but no call. And now I try again and get voice mail for the main number. I am thinking they are closed early for the long weekedn. So much for getting this thing installed today and not worrying about ricks wiping out the radiator unit. I have waited over 2 weeks for this thing.

Okay. I just got mine today and it is installed and tight, in both appearance and installation I just followed the instructions completely except for the following: I put the grill as it would be installed. Then I took a tool and held the grill in the exact place. I then drilled a hole and it marked on the grill. I then removed the grill and drilled the starter holes. Reinstall the grill and hold it from the back (underneath slip your arm in there) and I used self-tapping screws with lock tight instead of rivets. It held excellently. I will replace the screws with rivets in a few weeks if I feel it is not holding properly, but I have confidence that it will. It really does only take 20-30 minutes.

Looks sweet! B)

Okay. I just got mine today and it is installed and tight, in both appearance and installation I just followed the instructions completely except for the following: I put the grill as it would be installed. Then I took a tool and held the grill in the exact place. I then drilled a hole and it marked on the grill. I then removed the grill and drilled the starter holes. Reinstall the grill and hold it from the back (underneath slip your arm in there) and I used self-tapping screws with lock tight instead of rivets. It held excellently. I will replace the screws with rivets in a few weeks if I feel it is not holding properly, but I have confidence that it will. It really does only take 20-30 minutes.

Looks sweet! B)

Any pictures of your work?

I installed mine the exact way as swede did and it works better with the self tapping screws. I have been all over and of course going at high rates of speed and my grill is intact.

Gtplumber- I was going to use the rivets but it seemed useles when the self tappers were there and available. I really like the way it looks and now want the driving lights and the brake ducts. Good to know that us SGT owners think alike. B)

I've had my lower grill in bubble wrap for over a month. Does anyone know if we install the grill now and then purchase the light/duct kit when Bud has available, will it matter how our drilled holes line up? It would seem that if we were to get the light/duct kit, we would need it before the grill install so all rivet holes would line-up correctly.

In other words, I'm thinking the grill holes and inner side of brake duct ports might utilize the same rivet.

Am I off track or can I go ahead and install the grill. It's raining cats and dogs this weekend on the Gulf Coast and I am bored.

Thanks.

I've had my lower grill in bubble wrap for over a month. Does anyone know if we install the grill now and then purchase the light/duct kit when Bud has available, will it matter how our drilled holes line up? It would seem that if we were to get the light/duct kit, we would need it before the grill install so all rivet holes would line-up correctly.

In other words, I'm thinking the grill holes and inner side of brake duct ports might utilize the same rivet.

Am I off track or can I go ahead and install the grill. It's raining cats and dogs this weekend on the Gulf Coast and I am bored.

Thanks.

Here is my post on the install. It's easy just take your time and don't depend on the two mounting holes that came with the grill. Drill new ones.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=1062&hl=

Thanks, Stump. Yeah, we talked before about it. I am concerned about the way the brake duct port couples with the side of the grill, so I did it the hard way yesterday. I pulled the front fascia off to allow access to the back and drilled/pop riveted only the two original holes in the grill. It’s a tight fit, but after using aluminum rivets, it secured rather well. After Bud sends out the light/duct kit, I’ll revise if necessary. Thanks for your input.

As a side note, I then mounted my license plate to the front grill. Now I have to figure out how to repair the fascia holes my dealer made attaching before delivery. Let me tell you, I get overheated every time I look at them. What in the world were they thinking attaching the plate to the fascia as if this is some standard GT? I was hot, but sometimes that’s how the chips fall.

Weather was poor here in Texas yesterday, hopefully can get some seat time today as the sun is out for a while.

Thanks, Stump. Yeah, we talked before about it. I am concerned about the way the brake duct port couples with the side of the grill, so I did it the hard way yesterday. I pulled the front fascia off to allow access to the back and drilled/pop riveted only the two original holes in the grill. It’s a tight fit, but after using aluminum rivets, it secured rather well. After Bud sends out the light/duct kit, I’ll revise if necessary. Thanks for your input.

As a side note, I then mounted my license plate to the front grill. Now I have to figure out how to repair the fascia holes my dealer made attaching before delivery. Let me tell you, I get overheated every time I look at them. What in the world were they thinking attaching the plate to the fascia as if this is some standard GT? I was hot, but sometimes that’s how the chips fall.

Weather was poor here in Texas yesterday, hopefully can get some seat time today as the sun is out for a while.

Yeah, we hit storms on the way in and it's pouring out now. Good thing about the Fascia is it's a stock bolt-on Ford part so if push comes to shove you can just swap it out then replace the stripes and all will be fine.

Wish I could answer the duct question for you.....

Guys I am clear on installing the grill. That part is easy. My issue is I think my grill has the tabs bent in thw wrong direction. If you are facing the grill...chrome inish side towards you. Should the tabs be bent towards you or awy from you? Mine are bent towards you. So when you put the grill in the fascis from behind it doesnt allow the grating in the grill to push forward into the fascia. I am thinking the tabs should be bent away from you. It is just thin metal and I know will bend easy but I dont want to crack the paint or screw anything else up. Can anyone answer that question? TY :)

Guys I am clear on installing the grill. That part is easy. My issue is I think my grill has the tabs bent in thw wrong direction. If you are facing the grill...chrome inish side towards you. Should the tabs be bent towards you or awy from you? Mine are bent towards you. So when you put the grill in the fascis from behind it doesnt allow the grating in the grill to push forward into the fascia. I am thinking the tabs should be bent away from you. It is just thin metal and I know will bend easy but I dont want to crack the paint or screw anything else up. Can anyone answer that question? TY :)

Just shape to fit. You won't hurt anything....

Gtplumber- I was going to use the rivets but it seemed useles when the self tappers were there and available. I really like the way it looks and now want the driving lights and the brake ducts. Good to know that us SGT owners think alike. B)

Thanks Swede. It is working perfect. Now I want the driving lights!

My grill only had one hole and the other hole was misdrilled. It is just better to conform the tabs to fit like Stump said, you won't hurt it. The only thing is after you get the grill installed you will want the driving lights!

My grill only had one hole and the other hole was misdrilled. It is just better to conform the tabs to fit like Stump said, you won't hurt it. The only thing is after you get the grill installed you will want the driving lights!

It might be you next time I need some information, anytime. B)

Archived