TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Question for Amy- when is a Shelby a Shelby

04Retro

Amy--I've been in negotiation with a dealer over a Shelby GT for the past 3 weeks and we are darn near close on price...one issue keeps nagging at me and preventing me from signing on the dotted line- Does SAI have an understanding within themselves and with SAAC as to what and when a "Shelby" is going to be a Shelby-what are the limits?

Obvioulsy the original cars (62--70). The new Cobras currently made-fine. The new GT500's-in theory questionable as just a straight Ford product but I'll accept it (like my opinion counts for anything). The new Shelby GT (and GT H's)--of course..finally a car fitting the original mold--Built by Ford-shipped to Shelby for modfication and then back to Ford dealers for sale.

Same with the 08 GT500KR's...but what worries or concerns me is the strong potential of diluting the Shelby name-Where is SAI going with preowned cars and after sale SAI mods....I'm hearing buzz in the Mustang MCA world that 05+ already privately owned Mustangs can be taken (now or in the near future) to SAI for modification (CS6 or CS8 packages) and modified by SAI and thus becoming 'real' Shelby's...ie a 2005 car, 3 yrs old, can become an "official" Shelby after the fact in 2008?

Home built CS6 owners are declaring their cars 'real Shelby's' and pushing for Shelby builder plates and CSM #'s and SAAC registery status-will this happen?

Will SAI modification of private party cars get SAI ID plates, go into the SAAC Registery? I've seen your posts on builder plates "only going on SAI built cars"...but that answer seems to beg the question--if SAI modifies a pre-owned car...ie a used car...will it be given a CSM number and be considered by Shelby to be a Shelby?

Thanks,

Amy--I've been in negotiation with a dealer over a Shelby GT for the past 3 weeks and we are darn near close on price...one issue keeps nagging at me and preventing me from signing on the dotted line- Does SAI have an understanding within themselves and with SAAC as to what and when a "Shelby" is going to be a Shelby-what are the limits?

Obvioulsy the original cars (62--70). The new Cobras currently made-fine. The new GT500's-in theory questionable as just a straight Ford product but I'll accept it (like my opinion counts for anything). The new Shelby GT (and GT H's)--of course..finally a car fitting the original mold--Built by Ford-shipped to Shelby for modfication and then back to Ford dealers for sale.

Same with the 08 GT500KR's...but what worries or concerns me is the strong potential of diluting the Shelby name-Where is SAI going with preowned cars and after sale SAI mods....I'm hearing buzz in the Mustang MCA world that 05+ already privately owned Mustangs can be taken (now or in the near future) to SAI for modification (CS6 or CS8 packages) and modified by SAI and thus becoming 'real' Shelby's...ie a 2005 car, 3 yrs old, can become an "official" Shelby after the fact in 2008?

Home built CS6 owners are declaring their cars 'real Shelby's' and pushing for Shelby builder plates and CSM #'s and SAAC registery status-will this happen?

Will SAI modification of private party cars get SAI ID plates, go into the SAAC Registery? I've seen your posts on builder plates "only going on SAI built cars"...but that answer seems to beg the question--if SAI modifies a pre-owned car...ie a used car...will it be given a CSM number and be considered by Shelby to be a Shelby?

Thanks,

I may chirp in here. A 05 Mustang GT can not be be in the Shelby registry as a factory built car even with Shelby mods done at Shelby? In fact it does not go in the registry at all? It simply called a "tribute" car and has no certification what so ever, it just has Shelby mods, after market Shelby plates & clone certificates etc.. just as a REAL Saleen is to a Saleen clone, as a REAL Rousch is to a Rousch clone. Period.

Swede--I appreciate your input on any thread but this one--it was directed specifically at AMY. Do you work for SAI? Have you sat in on Board meetings with AMY and Carroll? There has been serious disucssion and some misunderstanding within the Mustang and Shelby world has to how far SAI is going with 'certification' of cars as "Shelbys'. Bud has been quoted on the internet as claiming that preowned cars can be brought to Shelby for conversion and thus become official "Shelbys". Amy has indicated otherwise--thus confusion exists...which probably means no one knows or they are putting off on making such a decision, testing the market so to speak...Before I spend $40K I want to know the answer and with full respect you and everyone on this Board-you/we do not know the answer thus the question to AMY; for AMY to answer.

Swede--I appreciate your input on any thread but this one--it was directed specifically at AMY. Do you work for SAI? Have you sat in on Board meetings with AMY and Carroll? There has been serious disucssion and some misunderstanding within the Mustang and Shelby world has to how far SAI is going with 'certification' of cars as "Shelbys'. Bud has been quoted on the internet as claiming that preowned cars can be brought to Shelby for conversion and thus become official "Shelbys". Amy has indicated otherwise--thus confusion exists...which probably means no one knows or they are putting off on making such a decision, testing the market so to speak...Before I spend $40K I want to know the answer and with full respect you and everyone on this Board-you/we do not know the answer thus the question to AMY; for AMY to answer.

Rather than a private thread for you and "AMY" you should send her a private message or email.

Now, that I covered that, why do you care? What data are you using to support a claim of some future value issue (I assume that's why you created this private thread) with some level of recognition of a "clone" class or designation under SAAC? You seem to be inventing a hypothetical problem that you've invented in your head and then demanded some resolution to this future issue today. That didn't work for the Terminator, even after three movies, and I doubt it will work for you. :lol:

But hey, I'll play, so what if SAI comes out and says "yes" then you're not happy, if they say "no" they loose a big portion of their addressable market. What wold you say as a business person of you owned SAI? Since the CS6/8 program is meant to be after-market offering you can't really say that if the entire conversion is completed it's not a Shelby can you? What's more complicated is that in the case of the SGT most of the parts are Ford. In the case of the CS6/8 most are Shelby. While the GT500 is never even touched by a Shelby employee much less use any Shelby parts. So you tell me in you mind what makes a Shelby?

Frankly, I have no clue as to the answers, and honestly don't care what SAAC thinks. They already don't give the GT500 or SGT/H trophy class status, and after an exchange of emails with the President, don't really seem too keen on letting any new kids play in their sand box. As far as I'm concerned they can go pound tar to tell you the truth and I sure wouldn't let them dictate my feelings on my car and what car I should by.

If you're looking to make big $$$$ off this car one day and not to fully enjoy, be it 20K, 40K or 60K, you're buying the wrong car for the wrong reasons. IN MY OPINION. <_<

SAAC.... meh... :angry:

Bombs away! :D

04- Thanks for the low down. The only Mustang that can be converted is the GT500 and that is an upgrade, not a Mustang being converted into a Real true Shelby. I hope you get what you want, you want something in writing from a Shelby Corporate Officer so if anything ever went sideways you could sue Shelby for the entrance of another Mustang that was not a true Shelby. I am a business owner, I'd personally never write you that email becuase you never know what the world brings and how to use your business model. But I can assure you this, you buy an SGT that is a car built @ Shelby no questions about it. Do what you need to do but I seriously doubt that you'll get an email from a Shelby Corporate Officer stating what you want, what smart business person would do that? None.B)

Matt--not in it for a buck--if I buy it will stay in my possession until I die.......or too old and feeble minded to drive it--by the time it has collector value I'll be long dead. But I'm paying a good $5000 now for the 07 for the Shelby name vs build it myself costs. I don't mind paying the $5k-its worth it to me to have a "Shelby"...I just want to know how big that sandbox is going to be and who is 'admitted' to the playground. I do not want to be nor am a 'snob' but I have no interest in paying 5k for a name that in turn will be plastered over everything and become common as dirt...Shelby's have always been exclusive vehicles, existing in limited numbers-I am concerned at just how limited that number will be in the future. You seem to have gotten more 'answers' out of SAAC then I have. MCA (Mustang Club of America) is also viewing things -especially as how to judge and future classes for the cars........ The biggest question hangs on the issue of certification of only cars sent by Ford to SAI and then back to Ford for sale--purest form of a "Shelby" in my book or 'other' senarios - those other senarios concern me. if SAI wnats to build 10k NEW cars a year or whatever-so be it, I'm not asking for that part of their private business plan--my concern is over preowed post sale conversions. SAI should be in a position to advise as to preowned cars showing up at SAI and being converted and what status are they going to give them? This is not a private thread by any means-my objection to Swede's post is that he didn't give his opinion or what should be done etc but that he put forth an "Answer" as if it is fact and he is simply not in a position to 'answer'...he doesn't know just like you and I do not know.

I say bad argument. Money is the issue here bottom line, you need to make a clone. Face it, if the car was $25K you wouldn't even be writing this email, be true to yourself you can't afford it. Sorry 04retro that's the truth.

Myth busted here!

no i think it is a good question but people here think they are carroll and try to answer for him and really dont know what there talking about and there names are constantly on here .....like i said b4 opinions are like a$$holes and some people shpuld sit on them j

None of it really matters, does it? 2 things will determine the future value of these vehicles. Do people want to own them, and how many of them are left. If everybody that buys one today takes them home and puts them in a hermetically sealed chamber, then takes them out in thirty years, you will be lucky if the value has kept up with inflation. Most of the "collectible" stuff, whether cars or baseball cards, is stuff we enjoyed USING years ago. What makes it collectible today is that we used the stuff up and threw it away and now there are more people that want it than remaining supply. You want future value? You need to hope people DRIVE these cars, wreck some, put 150k miles on some, then junk them! Don't mean to hijack the thread, but if your looking at an investment, by stock. 40,000 invested today at an average return of 10 pct becomes a little over a million in about 31 years. I doubt any Shelbys built today will generate that. Buy it because you want to own it now.

Here is my .02 worth

I too would like to have it all, one in only 6000...no more ever to be made..my shelby in all of its

glory...the only one in town...but what good is that...i want to hang out with other shelby owners

in OUR OWN SANDBOX...talk about them..race them...go to shows...meet at a regional or national

events..I want any one that wants one to spend the money and feel good about it. yes its a

an expenisve car...but mine is a shelby and that is all that matters in my mind. Mods to come

an yes I will start my own priviate thread to anounce the arrive of my SHELBY GT

no i think it is a good question but people here think they are carroll and try to answer for him and really dont know what there talking about and there names are constantly on here .....like i said b4 opinions are like a$$holes and some people shpuld sit on them j

I'm really trying to understand what you're saying here...because you seem to really care...about what though I don't know. <_<

Matt--not in it for a buck--if I buy it will stay in my possession until I die.......or too old and feeble minded to drive it--by the time it has collector value I'll be long dead. But I'm paying a good $5000 now for the 07 for the Shelby name vs build it myself costs.

Ok, I hear what you're saying but your math is wrong...i can go find the post on one of the other sites but with installation, and BTW you void your warranty, the difference is more like $3K when compared to buying the parts and installing afterwards.

I'll sum it up best by something my girlfriend said the other day. BTW: she thinks I'm spending too much too, anyway, back to the story. She was driving and saw a Shelby ahead of her and when she caught up noticed things were not quite right, and said, oh, it's not, it's "just a mustang with parts put on". Even she knew it! I knew then there was no way I wold ever go the clone route. I would also say, that if you were to go that route and buy all parts etc., it would not end up being that car you kept until you died. You'll never look at the car the way you would if it were a true SGT. That to me is worth the $3K or more difference. I want to REALLY own THIS car, not a copy or clone. I'd rather keep my GT as is than buy a wanna be clone always afraid of being "outed" and not all I seem.

Nope....not for me, and I get the impression not for you...

'dmag57- Every dog knows it name. :P

Thanks,

I don't believe you will ever get a public response to this question. Either response is sure to alienate some group of customers.

Funny, reading all this I was thinking of a conversation I had with a Ford service manager the other day. My SGT was outside and they had a GT500 in the showroom. His said "You've got a real Shelby there - the one in here is made entirely by Ford in Michigan". So many people have different views on it. One thing is for sure; a home-made Shelby ain't no Shelby, simply because, unless you lie, you can't sell it as one.

I'm really trying to understand what you're saying here...because you seem to really care...about what though I don't know. <_<

Ok, I hear what you're saying but your math is wrong...i can go find the post on one of the other sites but with installation, and BTW you void your warranty, the difference is more like $3K when compared to buying the parts and installing afterwards.

I'll sum it up best by something my girlfriend said the other day. BTW: she thinks I'm spending too much too, anyway, back to the story. She was driving and saw a Shelby ahead of her and when she caught up noticed things were not quite right, and said, oh, it's not, it's "just a mustang with parts put on". Even she knew it! I knew then there was no way I wold ever go the clone route. I would also say, that if you were to go that route and buy all parts etc., it would not end up being that car you kept until you died. You'll never look at the car the way you would if it were a true SGT. That to me is worth the $3K or more difference. I want to REALLY own THIS car, not a copy or clone. I'd rather keep my GT as is than buy a wanna be clone always afraid of being "outed" and not all I seem.

Nope....not for me, and I get the impression not for you...

LET ME MAKE IT SIMPLE KEEP YOOUR MOUTH SHUT ....WHEN YOU DONT KNOW ANYTING IS THAT SIMPLE ENOUGH

'dmag57- Every dog knows it name. :P

WHO.S TALKING ADOUT DOGS I TOUGHT THIS WAS A CAR SITE ...KNOW WE HAVE DOGS HERE

TRY THIS SITE WWW.ILOVEMYDOG.COM

Thanks,

04Retro - My ½ cent input. Whether this is a certified or registered Shelby car, who cares, the car is a Mustang GT that went to Carroll Shelby’s “shop” his mechanics added a few parts, tuned the engine and out he door, just like they did in 1965-66 with the first GT-350’s.

My 2007 SGT has Carroll Shelby’s signature, number 1793, and a tag in the engine compartment from SAI. For me it is a Shelby GT and Oh, what a joy to drive.

04Retro do not buy the car for the wrong reasons, but boy, if you do not you may regret it for life. :D Gor256

dmag

i dont know why your coming down so hard on Matt. this is a public forum. if someone asked a question on here folks try to answer with the best of their knowledge. its not always correct, but no one is trying to mislead anyone. if someone has a question for just one person then send them an email or PM. that way no one hijacks the post. i have had my share of heated debates on here, but i just dont understand the caps and the keep your mouth shut comment. if you dont like what someone says give them your opionion and then debate it like adults. this is not trying to flame you, because i hate being flamed back. just defending matt because i think he has added alot to the forum and i have learned somethings from him that has helped me with my customers. thats not to say i always agree with him, but i do think he adds alot.

i hope everyone has a great holiday weekend, ill be here at work trying to sell some more metal.

michael morris

Hey guys,

I'm with Michael on this one, the forum is about opinions, comments, and information exchange. One should enjoy the content and if you can't add something positive or your own comments without taking it personal, just read and move on.

The majority of us are like a small family on this forum and try to look out for each other. Matt's an okay guy, just suffering from "Lack of Shelby Syndrom" :D . I heard his car was going to be last, but they were going to put all thier top secret modifications on it............

Just my thoughts and chill...........

GG

Hey guys,

I'm with Michael on this one, the forum is about opinions, comments, and information exchange. One should enjoy the content and if you can't add something positive or your own comments without taking it personal, just read and move on.

The majority of us are like a small family on this forum and try to look out for each other. Matt's an okay guy, just suffering from "Lack of Shelby Syndrom" :D . I heard his car was going to be last, but they were going to put all thier top secret modifications on it............

Just my thoughts and chill...........

GG

And you wonder why I really don't like you guys! <_<

Matt,

Did your deal on 22 fall through, I checked on it yesterday by phone after I saw your post, said they still had it on the lot, but it was sold, waiting for the customer to close the deal. Was that you? I can't believe a low number car would take that long to sell

Remember, we only pick on people we like.............

GG

Matt,

Did your deal on 22 fall through, I checked on it yesterday by phone after I saw your post, said they still had it on the lot, but it was sold, waiting for the customer to close the deal. Was that you? I can't believe a low number car would take that long to sell

Remember, we only pick on people we like.............

GG

LOL....

No it wasn't me. Jason and I talked a few times, but it was going to be a difficult buy, and I wasn't thrilled with the interior. However I was willing to work it through but he went silent and I think just decided to keep trying locally and I can't fault him for that! Seemed like a nice guy but he has to make $$$$ and I have no problem with that.

I don't know why the car has had so much trouble either. Not like it's the crazy parchment interior and it's pretty well optioned.

Oh well!

matt,

i was hoping you wouldnt come back to this thread and see where i was defending you. now your going to think i like you or something and that im a good guy.

GG,

the stuff came in today, man that thing is cool. thank you so much for thinking about me. really do like it

michael morris

matt,

i was hoping you wouldnt come back to this thread and see where i was defending you. now your going to think i like you or something and that im a good guy.

GG,

the stuff came in today, man that thing is cool. thank you so much for thinking about me. really do like it

michael morris

Michael, I would NEVER accuse you of that! ;) BTW: not sure I ever thanked you for the posters! THANKS!

Archived