TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear axle alignment

savage1969

So, is alignment really an issue with '07SGT?

I haven't seen or hear of anything credible to suggest its an issue yet. Time will tell I suppose.

Thanks Ilmor. I wouldn't want to go too fast if something was going on (not that we do things like that when we're a little over 50yrs old).

True. I got my car up to 115mph. I didn't go further because of the alignment issue. When I got my new springs installed, I was told that I need an alignment and I have to get cam bolts for the front so they can do alignment. I also asked him about the rear axle alignment, and he said I don't have to get an adjustable pan hard rod.

Lawrence

I havent gotten mine over 72 yet...isnt that pitiful. But...it sure corners fast....

hehe.. I did it on the freeway.. It was on a saturday afternoon and for a moment, there were no cars ahead of me for like 3 miles.. i checked on my police radar, it was clear.. she was asking for it man so I had to.. and she liked it :D

I really need to get one of those radar/laser detectors...just to make sure I am in compliance, of course....

any word from SAI regarding this matter? do we need cam bolts on the front and an adjustable PHR for the rear?

It would be nice to get some background from SAI on this, rational for not needing to etc., I think we have a really well balanced car and anything that helps us understand that balance is helpful.

....LMAO, you couldn't have posted that an hour ago.

...I just ordered the Granatelli adjustable Panhard Rod (street) and panhard rod brace. While I was at it I also ordered their upper control link and lower control arms.

I won't have time to install them before Shelby Performance parts open. If they do sell something maybe I'll send the Granatelli's back. However, I will be surprised if Shelby is going to have these parts. I have never heard any mention of them in packages or discussions.

....LMAO, you couldn't have posted that an hour ago.

...I just ordered the Granatelli adjustable Panhard Rod (street) and panhard rod brace. While I was at it I also ordered their upper control link and lower control arms.

I won't have time to install them before Shelby Performance parts open. If they do sell something maybe I'll send the Granatelli's back. However, I will be surprised if Shelby is going to have these parts. I have never heard any mention of them in packages or discussions.

If you haven't seen the website yet - it was up briefly and then taken back down - they have ALOT of stuff on there. From what I saw it really looks nice....

Didn't see it either. Suspension mods but no panhard bar.

On another note, I researched the FR500C race car and really no significant mods on that rear suspension. No watts link, panhard bar etc. They did upgrade the bushings and lower control arms though.

Here is the link for the list of parts for the Grand Am Cup FR500C

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news15.asp

On another note, I researched the FR500C race car and really no significant mods on that rear suspension. No watts link, panhard bar etc. They did upgrade the bushings and lower control arms though.

so now the question, do we really need one?

so now the question, do we really need one?

I have not seen any concrete evidence yet that we do.

Maybe someone that knows what they are talking about can call:

"For more information on Ford Racing Performance Parts components or to inquire on how to purchase a Ford Racing Mustang FR500C please contact our Tech Hotline at 586-468-1356."

Maybe someone that knows what they are talking about can call:

"For more information on Ford Racing Performance Parts components or to inquire on how to purchase a Ford Racing Mustang FR500C please contact our Tech Hotline at 586-468-1356."

Here you go Matt.....the number listed is not in service the new number is 800-367-3788.

The list in the link is only for the parts that Ford Racing has avalible. The tech was able to give me a complet description of the rear end set-up

3-link with panhard bar and urathane bushings

Eibach coil overs

FR500C lower control arms

Because it is not a Ford part it is not listed and they do not sell the panhard, 3 link set up.

He could not tell me who the set up used was mfg. by.

The search continues..............

......I don't know if mechanically you need the panhard rod but with my 10.5" wheels and 275 tires you can see that the wheels are offset in the body.

I'm going to be in the same boat. Tire and wheel size I mean. So it will be an issue for me. I just can't live with things like that. I will correct it as soon as I see it for myself and make my corrections.

I'll be interested to see how yours comes out Socal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

Noticed this little nugget on the Motor Trend web site where they have pictures of the "behind the scenes" etc; under the picture of the front undercarriage they say:

"Close-up view of front suspension. Strut units are replaced with stiffer Ford Racing pieces that also lower ride height about an inch. Anti-roll bar is also replaced. I asked about wheel alignment, but Shelby's production manager assured us that alignment is not affected, and remains at factory spec."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/scenes/...n/photo_05.html

Anyone?

....I don't think there is a problem with the front. I think the concern is with the back wheels. The rear end geometery cause the axle to move side to side under the body as the axle goes up and down. The cars are lowere about an 1.5" thus the axle is closer to the body and moves toward the driver side. I measued mine. My left wheel is 1/4" outside of the fender and the right side is 1/8" inside the fender. The solution from what I have been told is an adjustable panhard rod. I have one in my garage waiting for a day off behind other priorities.

.....keep in mind I have 10.5" wide wheels with a 40mm offset so I think the axle's offset may be more pronounced than with narrower wheels. It is easily seen from behind.

Archived