TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Security Devices

ddrury

Anybody have any suggestions regarding security devices for GT500? Anyone had LowJack installed?

Thanks,

Doug

I had the dealer install LowJack before I picked it up. It seems like a good system for recovery purposes as long as you report it asap. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it!!

I had the dealer install LowJack before I picked it up. It seems like a good system for recovery purposes as long as you report it asap. Honestly, I hope I never have to use it!!

+1 Like all insurance policies, you hope you never have to use it. This is my second car I had LoJack installed on.

I've installed a kill switch to the starter motor, the switch is hidden in the trunk; my auto electrician hooked it up in one day. ;)

LowJack is good, but it doesn't assure you'll get you car back in one piece...Have you ever heard of the term, "Drive it like it was stolen"?

WP

I've installed a kill switch to the starter motor, the switch is hidden in the trunk; my auto electrician hooked it up in one day. ;)

LowJack is good, but it doesn't assure you'll get you car back in one piece...Have you ever heard of the term, "Drive it like it was stolen"?

WP

The kill switch is a great idea! Thanks

I have a Boomerang2 installed (www.boomerangtracking.com). There's a tracking device installed somewhere on the car (only Boomerang knows where), and if the vehicle is moved without the key fob, tracking is initiated. Their goal is to notify you within the hour that your vehicle may have been stolen, and to recover it within 24 hours. essentially, the car calls the company, and they call you.

I hope that I never find out if it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WP

WP,

Can you pm me the details for the kill switch?

Thanks,

Rick

Anybody have any suggestions regarding security devices for GT500? Anyone had LowJack installed?

Thanks,

Doug

"MobileGuardian". www.mymobileguardian.com

It is a nationwide wireless network which provides vehicle location and recovery. I have it on the coupe and will get it on the vert. MobileGuardian installs a GPS unit under the dash. You can track your car at any time simply by loging on to their website. Police can be guided directly to the missing car. You can also disable the car from a computer anywhere. It will not shut down a moving car, but a soon as the car stops, it is disabled. The others (lo jack) are only good if your car is in an area where local law enforcement sucribes to it and not all police depts are on the system. Your local police may suscrbe but what about when you travel. You never know if you in a covered area or not. GPS is world wide.

"MobileGuardian". www.mymobileguardian.com

It is a nationwide wireless network which provides vehicle location and recovery. I have it on the coupe and will get it on the vert. MobileGuardian installs a GPS unit under the dash. You can track your car at any time simply by loging on to their website. Police can be guided directly to the missing car. You can also disable the car from a computer anywhere. It will not shut down a moving car, but a soon as the car stops, it is disabled. The others (lo jack) are only good if your car is in an area where local law enforcement sucribes to it and not all police depts are on the system. Your local police may suscrbe but what about when you travel. You never know if you in a covered area or not. GPS is world wide.

What did it cost?

WP,

Can you pm me the details for the kill switch?

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

I was able to talk to my auto electrican today, he actually switched the clutch peddle position switch (CPPS). This is a ground switch that is grounded (closed) when the clutch is depressed to the floor, it runs from the clutch peddle to the powertrain control module (PCM). The kill switch is connected between the PCM and the CPPS, not between the CPPS and ground; this makes it harder to find and bypass. If the PCM isn't grounded (kill switch open) through the CPPS it will not allow the strater motor to engauge/run. The nice thing about doing it this way is that this circuit is a ground circuit and much safer to use for a kill switch than the power circuit running from the battery to the starter.

My guy charged me for 2 hours of labor @ $65.00 per hour plus parts; it would have been only 1 hour but I had him put the kill switch in the trunk instead of under the dash.

Hope that helps,

WP

What did it cost?

You will have to check their web site. I had mine worked into the deal of the car and am not sure what the cost ended up being. Most of their sales outlets are dealerships, however there are 2 independent shops in the Denver market that sale the system, so I would presume the same elsewhere.

Rick,

I was able to talk to my auto electrican today, he actually switched the clutch peddle position switch (CPPS). This is a ground switch that is grounded (closed) when the clutch is depressed to the floor, it runs from the clutch peddle to the powertrain control module (PCM). The kill switch is connected between the PCM and the CPPS, not between the CPPS and ground; this makes it harder to find and bypass. If the PCM isn't grounded (kill switch open) through the CPPS it will not allow the strater motor to engauge/run. The nice thing about doing it this way is that this circuit is a ground circuit and much safer to use for a kill switch than the power circuit running from the battery to the starter.

My guy charged me for 2 hours of labor @ $65.00 per hour plus parts; it would have been only 1 hour but I had him put the kill switch in the trunk instead of under the dash.

Hope that helps,

WP

WP,

That is a great help. I have wanted to install a kill switch, but was not sure how on a modern electrical system. This gives me a start for my next project.

Thanks again,

Rick

Archived