TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Private Buyers - What did you pay

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I committed early last year and received the car in April 07.

Steve Crowe

Steve Crowe

Steve Crowe

Steve Crowe

Steve Crowe

Steve Crowe

Thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you. :-)

Robin,

There have been 1,000000 mustangs built but only the SFM,CSM # cars bring the big$$$$$.The GT500 cars from ford are just that! SVT Mustangs . Just as a GT mustang is just a mustang until it went to Vegas for the Shelby package.I think if you have a GT500 send it to Vegas and have the SS package or get a KR ,they have a CSM# assigned and are in the world register....... just my 2 cents.

I'm getting the red stripe, so why would I send a red stripe to vegas to have it restriped a different color and loose the other emblems too. no, its a shelby, and it registers as a shelby, whether its built in flat rock or vegas. Besides, SAI is outsourcing some of the SS upgrades to some place on the east coast too, so will that make them less valuable than the vegas mods? thats a whole can of worms that Id rather leave on the shelf...

In another 40 years,

People wont even look for that, they will want them cuz the car will say GT500, and the reputation and the fact that there just won't be another built on this body style, and who knows...MAYBE not at all since no one knows the future of FORD SAI or Mr. Shelby himself, beyond the current production run, (i know, "agreements" aside).

I much prefer to look at it another way-

Your average 60's ish mustang or camaro in average condition go for more than they brought new at the time... and this is not your average mustang, I dont care what numbers are on it...

In all likelyhood, there won't be any gas left in the world to run them anyway, so they will be all but worthless, except to look at on a showroom floor.

LOL

Besides, I don't care what people years from now are going to find desirable. This is MY dream, not their's, we are all here due to our passion for this I always wanted a GT500 of my own, and now I get that chance without shelling out 250,000 to get one.

Robin,

There have been 1,000000 mustangs built but only the SFM,CSM # cars bring the big$$$$$.The GT500 cars from ford are just that! SVT Mustangs . Just as a GT mustang is just a mustang until it went to Vegas for the Shelby package.I think if you have a GT500 send it to Vegas and have the SS package or get a KR ,they have a CSM# assigned and are in the world register....... just my 2 cents.

just to stir the pot... Boss 429 MSRP 4900 NOW 400,000.

Boss 302 MSRP 3500? NOW 60k+. i love that my car is going to have a LOW CSM number, but i dont think that it has to have one to be collectable. i dont really think the cars going to be collectable anytime soon anyways. lot better places to put money besides are for a return on your money. please understand this is in NO way a finacial lesson. im spending 45k on a car that im sending off to spend 32k on and i sell cars for a living. just dont agree with it having to have a CSM to be worth anything.

michael morris

Robin,

We have already been through this once. Amy said the GT500 is still a Shelby without a doubt, no if and or buts about it. The car was approved by Carroll Shelby himself so it will hold the value. You can order the dash plague with a CSM# and it is a Shelby and will always be a Shelby.

We have already been through this once. Amy said the GT500 is still a Shelby without a doubt, no if and or buts about it. The car was approved by Carroll Shelby himself so it will hold the value. You can order the dash plague with a CSM# and it is a Shelby and will always be a Shelby.

You will not get a CSM# unless you get a SAI modification packages, i.e., 40th Anniversary or Super Snake. I suspect, but don't know that the KR will have a CSM# because the modifications will be made at SAI. What you will get on your dash plaque is the Vin #.

just to stir the pot... Boss 429 MSRP 4900 NOW 400,000.

Boss 302 MSRP 3500? NOW 60k+.

Exactly Mike, and they do not have a CSM number. I would like to think my Maserati is collectible. I know it too has a loyal fan base.

If you want to stick with Shelby cars, the vintage cars did not have a CSM number. They had their own numbering system without a CSM prefix. Anyone want to argue that a vintage Shelby is non-collectible or will not bring big bucks?

robin

Here is my story........I walked into a local delaer who had a Red with white stripes on the floor (Shakker 100, HID, Sirius, GT 500 Interior package, and colored lights)......he wanted 20k over MSRP.......I spoke with the General Sales Manager and after a while he was down to 6k over MSRP.......we spoke some more and he came down to 4k over MSRP........the car had been in his show room for 30 days.

At that point I told him that I was not going to pay over MSRP and that I wanted a car just like this but with the Crimson interior. He said he woudl have to speak with the owner to sell the car at MSRP. I said fine, that I would call him in an hour or so. When I called he said that the owner was not available but that he would sell me the car for 2k over MSRP.

I decided to go to the dealership to negotiate some more. After about 30 minutes I had him agree to order a car for me at MSRP....at that point he said, "anything I can do to have you take this one", I said no, I want the Crimson interior. We then proceeded to place the order and I gave him a $500 deposit.

Two weeks later I went by to check on the status of my order, the guy was out to lunch so I left a message for him to call me. The following Monday he called me to tell me that he had bad news, Ford would not accept his order, that I should go by to pick up my deposit. I checked on-line and noticed that a Blue GT500 was on it's way to the dealership. Two days latter I called and spoke with a salesman who told me that the Blue car had arrived the night before and was available. That night I went to the delaership and spoke with the Sales Manager on duty (it was the day off for the guy I had done the deal with), he said the car was available at which point I said, "I want it". He then said, lets do the paper work. I said no, I already have a deal going and I showed him my order. He left the area and went into an office and made some phone calls....he came out and said that the Blue car was sold!

The following day I went by the dealership to speak with the General Sales Manager, he said that the Blue car was sold and gave me a copy of my $500 refund ......I told him that he was not taking this matter seriously and that I was going to seek that he performed on his agreement with me. I said that his company had a GT500 in Baltimore (I am in Floridas) and that he should bring it down for me. When I left the dealership, I had the intention to ask my daughter, who is a lawyer, to take the matter over.

Meanwhile I had spoken to EVERY dealership in Florida who had a GT500 in stock and the very best I was able to negotiate was $3k over MSRP......as a matter of principle, I was not willing to pay over MSRP!

A few days passed, and the General Sales Manage from the dealership where I had placed my original order called me and said that he was going to be able to bring the car in Baltimore down to Florida for me, that if I was interested I shoudl go by to do the paper work. We agreed on MSRP ($46,880) plus TTT plus $750 for freight.........and it is identical to the original car he had on his show room floor, in other words, no Crimson interior!!!!

Sorry for the long story,

LuisA

luis congrat on your car. im glad you got it for what you wanted to pay. it could ruin great deals for folks, but if some of the dealers would look on the Ford Dealer board they are bringing 3k over to other dealers. im glad for the guys on here and the other site that dealers are letting them go for what yall want to pay

michael morris

Great deal Luis congrats...

I just don't understand the whole msrp issue....

Just limit paying less than A. what you can afford, and B. what YOU value the object purchased.

MSRP isn't market suggested retail price, it is manufacturer suggested retail price...but it is the MARKET that sets the price in any economic model. I dont understand why dealers are taking a beating on these ADMs. If you own a business, don't you try to set your price points for maximum profit?

The only answer is yes...

either way....sure is nice to get what you want!

Dubbsin,

Yes, I run a business and never sell over MSRP; in some products I get a very slim profit on others I do real well and yet others MSRP is so highly marked up that I offer a deep discount.

When a car dealer sells a car at MSRP, they make a real good profit.....over $4k in the case of the GT500......why do they have to start asking $20K over MSRP and then settle for MSRP? That is what gives the bad reputation to "Car Salesmen" and "Used Car Salesmen" and makes teh whole experience of buying a car very stressfull.

Like you said, if I paid MSRP, then the market price IS MSRP, not $20k over. I have never and will never buy a car over MSRP...as a matter of fact, this is the foirst car I have bought at MSRP, usually you get a discount.

LuisA

Great deal Luis congrats...

I just don't understand the whole msrp issue....

Just limit paying less than A. what you can afford, and B. what YOU value the object purchased.

MSRP isn't market suggested retail price, it is manufacturer suggested retail price...but it is the MARKET that sets the price in any economic model. I dont understand why dealers are taking a beating on these ADMs. If you own a business, don't you try to set your price points for maximum profit?

The only answer is yes...

either way....sure is nice to get what you want!

i agree. yes im a dealer, but the market sets the price NOT THE DEALERS. this has already been discussed a billion times on here and i have posted about half a billion of those posts. i promised i would never get into a debate over the ADM thing again. i would be glad to post a link to the other threads that this was discussed in.

michael morris

Michael,

I agree 100% that the market sets the price, it is called "supply and demand"; and in a capitalist society like ours supply and demand sets the buy/sell rules and everything else is secondary.

The points I was trying to make are:

1) I have never paid and probably never will pay over MSRP for a car.

2) If the going rate is $3k over MSRP, why are the GT500"s sitting in showroom floors with tags at 20-258K over MSRP?

I respect your point of view, I just don't see the sense in asking 25 for something that sells for 3.

LuisA

2) If the going rate is $3k over MSRP, why are the GT500"s sitting in showroom floors with tags at 20-258K over MSRP?

LuisA

They ask over because of people like me. I have a hard time with the one price thats it. For some stupid reason I like them coming down on the price, makes me feel like I got a deal!! Not true buts thats the way I have always bought cars. As for paying over MSRP, I felt the same way and had one on order for 6 months and a deposit on it for 18 months at MSRP. I finaly got tired of waiting, and ended up paying 1400 over from another dealer, that had one on his lot. The way I looked at it was, show me another car with 500hp for under 50k and the other reason was it is a SHELBY. I love the car and I will like it better when I can smoke the tires without the wheelhop. Will be ordering the parts to correct that problem this week.

Ron

Michael,

I agree 100% that the market sets the price, it is called "supply and demand"; and in a capitalist society like ours supply and demand sets the buy/sell rules and everything else is secondary.

The points I was trying to make are:

1) I have never paid and probably never will pay over MSRP for a car.

I respect your point of view, I just don't see the sense in asking 25 for something that sells for 3.

LuisA

we are carsalesman. we understand that EVERYONE wants to negotiate. im not saying its right, but its the car business. if we want 4-5 over we have to ask 20. its sad, but what if a guy comes in and pay the 20k over.

i love the car buisness, but it is full of crooks and folks that dont plan on doing it for a living. jump in make a quick buck and find something else to do. i here for the long run.

glad you got a GREAT deal on a car and im sure your going to love it

michael morris

we are carsalesman. we understand that EVERYONE wants to negotiate. im not saying its right, but its the car business. if we want 4-5 over we have to ask 20. its sad, but what if a guy comes in and pay the 20k over.

i love the car buisness, but it is full of crooks and folks that dont plan on doing it for a living. jump in make a quick buck and find something else to do. i here for the long run.

glad you got a GREAT deal on a car and im sure your going to love it

michael morris

Bottom line folks, I placed my order back on April 2005. This was when prices where not mentioned or set. Got my Shelby August 2006. Purchased in Ontario, Canada from the folks at Summit Ford. Paid just over $65,000 for her and did not blick an eye one single bit. Had offers of $75-80,000 cash but kept her. 4th car in Ontario and love every time I drive her. Supply & demand is what drives prices. I was looking at the Z-06 but went with the Shelby. Sounds like you shopped around and got a great deal.

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here. Here is my story...I am a female 50 years old.

I knew I would buy a GT500 when the right deal came along...well it did...we bought a new Harley F250 earlier this year. Told the dealer at that time if they got a GT500 in to give us a call (they are about 3 hours from where we live). I got the call on Labor Day, they said they have 3 in. So we went there and picked the Alloy with silver stripes, navigaition, premium interior for 2k over msrp. I thought that was a great deal. I have always been a stang lover,had my first stang at 16 years old a 65 coupe, have had just about every one out there except for the Shelby, this is my dream car. We were going to pay cash but used the 36 months interest free instead...that also is a great deal. My Shelby sits right beside my 98 Cobra Saleen (1 or 8), my 1997 Cobra Vortech SC both converts with less than 15k on each one. I have decided not to do the 40th or the SS. I am the real "Mustang Sally"

Love the cars, love this forum!

thestangal

Hi everyone, this is my first time on here. Here is my story...I am a female 50 years old.

I knew I would buy a GT500 when the right deal came along...well it did...we bought a new Harley F250 earlier this year. Told the dealer at that time if they got a GT500 in to give us a call (they are about 3 hours from where we live). I got the call on Labor Day, they said they have 3 in. So we went there and picked the Alloy with silver stripes, navigaition, premium interior for 2k over msrp. I thought that was a great deal. I have always been a stang lover,had my first stang at 16 years old a 65 coupe, have had just about every one out there except for the Shelby, this is my dream car. We were going to pay cash but used the 36 months interest free instead...that also is a great deal. My Shelby sits right beside my 98 Cobra Saleen (1 or 8), my 1997 Cobra Vortech SC both converts with less than 15k on each one. I have decided not to do the 40th or the SS. I am the real "Mustang Sally"

Love the cars, love this forum!

thestangal

welcome to the board both of you. im till waiting on my car. its at the plant waiting a choo choo ride to LV.

michael morris

I bought a well equipped Vista Blue for 50k brand new and sold it with 300 mi for a loaded Grabber Orange coupe for 52k. I made $1500 selling the blue one and got the tax credit as a trade -In the end I got the thrill of buying 2 for total outlay of $50,500 around 3k over but if you divide by 2 it's only $1500 over-LOL .No regrets. Sweet car!

welcome to the board both of you. im till waiting on my car. its at the plant waiting a choo choo ride to LV.

michael morris

Archived