TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Storage

The Sheriff

I will be needing to find a place to store my car for the winter months. I live in Upstate New York where the winters can be brutal. I found a home that has a 2 stall detached garage which I can rent. It is in a secure safe area. Once it is put away for the winter I probably will not see it again until spring since it will not be plowed clear of snow. It also will not be heated. Does anyone know what must be done to the car prior to kissing it goodby for the winter. Can it sit on the tires? Does the battery need to be disconnected? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I will be needing to find a place to store my car for the winter months. I live in Upstate New York where the winters can be brutal. I found a home that has a 2 stall detached garage which I can rent. It is in a secure safe area. Once it is put away for the winter I probably will not see it again until spring since it will not be plowed clear of snow. It also will not be heated. Does anyone know what must be done to the car prior to kissing it goodby for the winter. Can it sit on the tires? Does the battery need to be disconnected? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you might consider a beattery tender and put the car on jacks. Also changing the fluids is always a good idea. Do a searh for winterize your car you might find other suggestions jonathan

Winter tires?...For storage? Or will you be driving yours through the winter?

Sorry, I confused the topic w/ my too-brief response. Why I mean to say is that, in lieu of storing mine for the winter, I will be looking for a set of winter tires / wheels so I can drive mine during the winter when I need to.

As for storing in the winter, I have had RV's, including motorhomes, which I have stored in the winters. They have always been fine as long as the tires are pumped up 2 or 3 lbs. over spec. and no fluids were left in them that could freeze. Its also a good idea to remove the battery and / or keep it on a "battery tender" during the winter (and check its electrolyte levels, unless maintenance free) during that time. Also, add a fuel stabilizer to the full gas tank (i.e., Stabil).

I stored my o6 GT last winter in my garage and I didnt disconnect the battery. I had intended too but ran out of time and I was surprised it didnt kill the battery. There have been some issues with batteries dying from the active anti-theft when the car isnt used for only a few weeks. People have posted they went on vaca and when they returned to get heir car at the airport parking it was dead. I didnt have this issue. A battery tender would be a good idea though. I did put Stabil in the gas. I put a bottle in and then filled the tank completely. IMO my biggest concern if I were you would be where it is stored. Like you said winter is harsh up there and you guys got a ton of snow last winter. I would be concerned with the ability to get the snow off the garage roof it will be stored in. Sounds like no one visits the place in the winter and even though it is insured it would suck to show up and find the roof collapsed on her.

Sorry, I confused the topic w/ my too-brief response. Why I mean to say is that, in lieu of storing mine for the winter, I will be looking for a set of winter tires / wheels so I can drive mine during the winter when I need to.

As for storing in the winter, I have had RV's, including motorhomes, which I have stored in the winters. They have always been fine as long as the tires are pumped up 2 or 3 lbs. over spec. and no fluids were left in them that could freeze. Its also a good idea to remove the battery and / or keep it on a "battery tender" during the winter (and check its electrolyte levels, unless maintenance free) during that time.

Thanks Ilmor

I stored my o6 GT last winter in my garage and I didnt disconnect the battery. I had intended too but ran out of time and I was surprised it didnt kill the battery. There have been some issues with batteries dying from the active anti-theft when the car isnt used for only a few weeks. People have posted they went on vaca and when they returned to get heir car at the airport parking it was dead. I didnt have this issue. A battery tender would be a good idea though. I did put Stabil in the gas. I put a bottle in and then filled the tank completely. IMO my biggest concern if I were you would be where it is stored. Like you said winter is harsh up there and you guys got a ton of snow last winter. I would be concerned with the ability to get the snow off the garage roof it will be stored in. Sounds like no one visits the place in the winter and even though it is insured it would suck to show up and find the roof collapsed on her.

Thanks Webba,

I knew I didn't order the Active Anti Theft for a good reason. ;)

Red Line......No need for storage, Move down here to Alabama. We'll cruise all winter..............LOL

Timmyer,

Thanks for the invite. Do you have room in your home for my wife, mother-in-law, and 6 children. :)

Hi.

If the garage has power I would consider getting a Car Capsule. Go to thier web site for more info... it is like a bubble for your car. I live in Connecticut and will be storing my SGT(which I don't have yet) in a Car Capsule from Nov thru April as I do not want my SGT exposed to the tons of sand/salt they dump all winter. The capsule will prevent condensation due to temp swings and keep critters and dust out. It has a fan and filter which blows the bubble up and continuosly exchanges the air inside...all for about $400.

Good luck,

64peter

Hi.

If the garage has power I would consider getting a Car Capsule. Go to thier web site for more info... it is like a bubble for your car. I live in Connecticut and will be storing my SGT(which I don't have yet) in a Car Capsule from Nov thru April as I do not want my SGT exposed to the tons of sand/salt they dump all winter. The capsule will prevent condensation due to temp swings and keep critters and dust out. It has a fan and filter which blows the bubble up and continuosly exchanges the air inside...all for about $400.

Good luck,

64peter

Thanks Peter....I will look into the Car Capsule.

Thanks Peter....I will look into the Car Capsule.

I will second the Car Capsule. I have had one for almost two years, for the '65. My main reason for buying was because of all the dust in our area.. The entire set-up works extremely well.

Best 400 bucks you can spend to protect a car. :D

All the previous suggestions are right on. I have stored many cars in the Upstate NY area, mostly unheated facility. As our winters are rather long, if the garage has power than the battery tender is well worth it, the battery will usually not hold it's charge for the 4-6 months. If no power, I'd remove battery and store at home on tender. The tires are not a problem, usually develop a small flat spot, but will round out in a few miles. I've never put up on jacks. It is also recommended to change oil and fluids prior to putting it up. Full tank of gas, which will not be a problem sitting for 4-6 months, it's shelf life is much more than that. Depending on where garage is, very rural, totally unattended, unwanted critters could be a problem. Has also been suggested to park it on some sort of cover if on concrete, helps prevent moisture. The car capsule sounds like a good idea, but then again you need power and where my cars are there is no power.

All the previous suggestions are right on. I have stored many cars in the Upstate NY area, mostly unheated facility. As our winters are rather long, if the garage has power than the battery tender is well worth it, the battery will usually not hold it's charge for the 4-6 months. If no power, I'd remove battery and store at home on tender. The tires are not a problem, usually develop a small flat spot, but will round out in a few miles. I've never put up on jacks. It is also recommended to change oil and fluids prior to putting it up. Full tank of gas, which will not be a problem sitting for 4-6 months, it's shelf life is much more than that. Depending on where garage is, very rural, totally unattended, unwanted critters could be a problem. Has also been suggested to park it on some sort of cover if on concrete, helps prevent moisture. The car capsule sounds like a good idea, but then again you need power and where my cars are there is no power.

Thanks for the input oilman.

What is this win-ter of which you speak?

Ah the hell with it....I've decided to order a nice set of studded snow tires from SAI and drive it through the winter. Thanks for everyone's help.

I live in Western New York and will store the SGT 5 or 6 months in the winter. Have a great place to store it in a brand new steel building with a clean (2 year old) concrete floor.

My biggest worry is mice or squirrel's. Does anyone have experience in preventing these rodents from doing damage.

I've seen what they can do to headliners, etc., and it can be bad.

I'd heard that moth balls work, but not first hand.

I'm sure there are some experienced collectors here that have had success.

(As a side bar, just remembered a friend who has had a '65 GT 350 in storage since 1970. Mice destroyed the interior).

Thanks.

Red line are you seriously going to drive it through the winter?

And the car bubble sounds awesome to move your wife, 6 kids, and mother-in-law into!! ;)

Webba....I was just kidding about driving it in the winter ( I mean non summer months ). I have decided to ship it back to SAI in October for some mods. That way I am assurred it will be there at least till Spring. :) I look at it like free winter storage.

I live in Western New York and will store the SGT 5 or 6 months in the winter. Have a great place to store it in a brand new steel building with a clean (2 year old) concrete floor.

My biggest worry is mice or squirrel's. Does anyone have experience in preventing these rodents from doing damage.

I've seen what they can do to headliners, etc., and it can be bad.

I'd heard that moth balls work, but not first hand.

I'm sure there are some experienced collectors here that have had success.

(As a side bar, just remembered a friend who has had a '65 GT 350 in storage since 1970. Mice destroyed the interior).

Thanks. I've stored cars in a structure just as you described, have never had problems with critters entering. This usually occurs in wooden garages, the metal buildings are pretty safe as they can't chew into them like the wooden garages.

Archived