TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Open Track

shelbyguy470

Last weekend I had the oppertunity to participate in an open track event with the Nor Cal Shelby Club. You can say what you want about the little odds and ends that may need to be fixed, but once you get the car on the track it is unbelieveable!

I attended the school in the morning and then the open track in the afternoon. The car is very stable with tons of low end torque. I have had the oppertunity to drive many performnace cars, but wow!

By the end of the day I had moved from beginner to intermediate class, and I give the GT most of the credit for this.

If you get a chance to attend an open track day (not a race), don't pass it up. It is safe fun while getting that "Shelby thrill"

Russ

That's cool. I am really looking forward to the day when I can get mine on a track. It seems that most of the folks on the forum worry about 0-60, but I think these SGT's are really more about road racing than drag racing.

That's cool. I am really looking forward to the day when I can get mine on a track. It seems that most of the folks on the forum worry about 0-60, but I think these SGT's are really more about road racing than drag racing.

As a close friend once said " the world is not made of straight roads".

Tomorrow, (May 12th) I will be running my second open track at Willow Springs (CA) with the Cobra Owners Club of American. I had 1,100 miles when I ran my first open track and now have 1,800.

I bought mind to drive at open track events, and no, I do not intend to keep my Shelby GT orginial.

speaking of road racing mustangs, I just came across this article....

link

Its great to see Ford Mustangs putting away the BMW's!

I live near Lime Rock, so one of these days I'll get to a track event there.

ilmor, please let us know in advance when you plan to do Lime Rock. I'm 110 miles away in Mass. I just looked at their track schedule but didn't see specifically when non-pro's can race. Would love to run the track if they allow it. I see that the SCCA New England Region Regional is June 16. I really hope I have my car by then.

BTW, since you got your car from Jason, why didn't you buy # 22?

Tomorrow, (May 12th) I will be running my second open track at Willow Springs (CA) with the Cobra Owners Club of American. I had 1,100 miles when I ran my first open track and now have 1,800.

I bought mind to drive at open track events, and no, I do not intend to keep my Shelby GT orginial.

Can you tell me anything about the requirements to get your car on the track tomorrow? I have had my SGT for a month , and I need to get a better feel of what this car is about .

They are great in both aspects of racing........................

Can you tell me anything about the requirements to get your car on the track tomorrow? I have had my SGT for a month , and I need to get a better feel of what this car is about .

When I ran my SGT at Thunderhill all I had to do was add a secure mount fire extinguisher. I had a friend make a mount that attached to the front rail bolts of the passenger seat. Look really sanitary when he was done.

Helmet, gloves, long pants and long sleeve shirt with non combustible shoes.

ilmor, please let us know in advance when you plan to do Lime Rock. I'm 110 miles away in Mass. I just looked at their track schedule but didn't see specifically when non-pro's can race. Would love to run the track if they allow it. I see that the SCCA New England Region Regional is June 16. I really hope I have my car by then.

Same here on Lime Rock....last year I called there to try and see if I could "buy some track time" for a friends birthday but I never received any response. It would be great to be able to hit the track....please let us know if you have any luck.... I am sure that we could get a group of people to go....

I will. Eventually I'll plan to do it with our local autocross club. See Track Days

As for #22, when I first called Jason about mine, and until after we negotiated our deal, I had no knowledge and he never mentioned the 22. I'm surprised now that I see how long he has been trying to sell it. I might have bought it, had I known about it.

Archived