TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More first impressions

It's funny how different things look in person, compared to the hundreds of photos and videos we've all been studying so carefully for so long. I drove out to a dealer that has a black GT500 on the showroom floor. It's sold, so I couldn't sit in it and the hood was closed, but I got to study at my leisure from every angle.

First thought: This is one gorgeous automobile. No question, this is what I want, and it's going to turn heads wherever it goes.

On close inspection, two things struck me: The Shelby doesn't sit quite as high as I was thinking. Yes, it could stand to drop slightly in altitude, but I don't think it's as ridiculously high as my '98 Cobra was from the factory. I would be hesitant to drop it too much, the front air splitter is fairly low, not TOO low from the factory, but any drop of the front end is going to turn it into a plow.

The other thing that struck me is the stripes. They suck. The vinyl seems unusually thick, which is a bad thing for a car. Every washing/waxing is going to wear on the edges that much more. What's worse, in the back, there are multiple pieces used to get around/over the spoiler, and the pieces overlap, creating even MORE prominent ridges. I see these as being a huge source of problems over time.

Aside from that, I just drooled. I then went outside and checked out the new colors, Grabber Orange and Alloy, on GT Mustangs. I was tremendously disappointed in GO, which has been my color of choice. It really looks yellow in bright sun. I was hoping for something more along the lines of '96 Tangerine, and this ain't it. The pictures here on StangsUnleashed had given me hope that it might be more orange, but sadly, that's not the case. Alloy on the other hand really impressed me. In the bright sunlight, it was beautiful, even from 100 feet. It stood out to me right away. I have a sneaking hunch that in cloudy conditions my opinion of each of these colors would change.

That was my afternoon! Hope everyone else is getting their fix too. Especially you lucky suckers who've already taken delivery.

On close inspection, two things struck me: The Shelby doesn't sit quite as high as I was thinking. Yes, it could stand to drop slightly in altitude, but I don't think it's as ridiculously high as my '98 Cobra was from the factory. I would be hesitant to drop it too much, the front air splitter is fairly low, not TOO low from the factory, but any drop of the front end is going to turn it into a plow.

I keep thinking that the thing looks like a truck with base wheels. So I went and did a little checking. If one goes to the new SVT home page and check the specifications, this car is actually TALLER than a Stang GT by 3/10ths of an inch!! Which as we have seen(via some very good photoshops by ELITE 1) looks terrible. And as has become the norm with this car, not quite what was promised. I present the original picture of the car which Ford released to show how LOW and MEAN the car was vs. the GT. Whoops!post-142-1153019939_thumb.jpg And since I'm on the subject, we were promised paint and got STICKERS!! Vinyl is never a good idea. Just gets the ricers all revved up. Sure hope it lasts until all the collectors make their big money.... :hysterical:

post-142-1153019939_thumb.jpg

Archived