TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Bud-SAI Car craps out @ 5600-6000 RPMs & other

Bud-SAI - Maybe you can help me. First and foremost, I absolutely love my car. Now that is out of the way I have an issue.

Here is the problem:

1) My car performed admirably for the first 700 miles with out me accelerating hard at all. I was immpressed by its acceleration prowess on and off the freeway ramps and onto the actual interstate highway. I then came off the freeway , I was doing the speed limit, and the car started to shake like it was running on 6 cylinders. I turned it off and waited about 2-3 minutes restarted the car and it seemed to reboot itself and run fine. I then finished my errand and returned to the freeway. Getting onto the on ramp I put the pedal to the metal and upon my surprise the car crapped out, farted :) and sputtered between 55-5600 - 6000 RPMs. I called the dealer and they said they could work on it and trouble shoot the error. I was wondering if you have heard of this issue and what I can tell the service Dept. when my appt. comes on this Tuesday morning @ 8:00AM?

Thank you Bud.

Swede

John or Bud, please except my up advance thank you for addressing this issue. I also would like to know if the Dealer can reflash my car back to Shelby standards? What happens if they do reflash the car with a regular GT flash, who reflashes it back to Shelby's tune? This is because Shelby has all the pieces to make this car run correctly and I don't think local Ford dealers have the same type of equipment that Shelby uses for the performance of this car. Is this correct or not? Any upfront help would be awesome before the car goes into the dealer 8:00AM Tuesday morning.

Thank you.

;)

John or Bud, please except my up advance thank you for addressing this issue. I also would like to know if the Dealer can reflash my car back to Shelby standards? What happens if they do reflash the car with a regular GT flash, who reflashes it back to Shelby's tune? This is because Shelby has all the pieces to make this car run correctly and I don't think local Ford dealers have the same type of equipment that Shelby uses for the performance of this car. Is this correct or not? Any upfront help would be awesome before the car goes into the dealer 8:00AM Tuesday morning.

Thank you.

Thats a good point.........

Also,

Just out of curiosity,

Did you check all the injector connectors to make sure they were all seated and all plug wires were all the way connected? Just incase, im not saying you wouldn't have check but, im just trying to help. :) Being at higher rpm's where the engine is under a big load sometimes things make a bad connection and make wierd things happen? Just a thought. Hope it gets straightened out for you.

Hi,

This is the first time I have heard of this type of concern. I will ask on Monday. Hopefully its something easy. As for flashing it back to a regular GT. Yes, your dealer can do that. BUT, I do not think they would have the proper flash that we put into it. Q? are you using 91 octane fuel? If not, that could cause a problem too. Again, I will ask on Monday and see if I can get more info for you.

Bud

Bud,

I know the SGT requires premium fuel due to the Shelby computer flash, is this supposed to be 91 octane ? Most of the gas stations back in the mid-west have 2 grades regular (87 octane) and supreme (89 octane). There are a few that carry 3 grades which the third is 91 octane but this is rather unusual where I live. Will I have a problem running 89 octane super ?

Hi,

This is the first time I have heard of this type of concern. I will ask on Monday. Hopefully its something easy. As for flashing it back to a regular GT. Yes, your dealer can do that. BUT, I do not think they would have the proper flash that we put into it. Q? are you using 91 octane fuel? If not, that could cause a problem too. Again, I will ask on Monday and see if I can get more info for you.

Bud

Absolutely, I use 92% OCTANE and have never ever waivered at all what so ever. I can afford the gas but could not afford to be declined on my warranty for using anything less than 91% octane! Also I think you might have misunderstood me. I DO NOT want the dealer to reflash my car to regular GT to fix the issue, what happened if they did do this? How could it be reflashed back to the "Shelby Standard Tune"? Lastly, thank you for all your help and response.

Bud - I didn't think you would leave me here without any follow up response in regards to your last post about my SGT #1822. I hope you have been just looking for information or have some information on what to do. I will not bring my car to the dealer without first knowing what to expect or do with a situation like this.

Hi all!!!!!!

Ok, this is what I have found out. I should have already known this, but completely forgot. While driving at 5,600 to 6,000 rpms (which is kinda high) what gear are you in? If you are in 4th gear, you need to up shift. What you are actually doing is hitting the rev limiter. It is right arounf 5,800 rpms. It does not need reflashed. Just may need to upshift it or stay away from the 5,600 to 6,000 rpms :D

Bud

Hi all!!!!!!

Ok, this is what I have found out. I should have already known this, but completely forgot. While driving at 5,600 to 6,000 rpms (which is kinda high) what gear are you in? If you are in 4th gear, you need to up shift. What you are actually doing is hitting the rev limiter. It is right arounf 5,800 rpms. It does not need reflashed. Just may need to upshift it or stay away from the 5,600 to 6,000 rpms :D

Bud

What? Are you trying to say a Shelby GT must not be driven at or around the redline? I am sorry in advance for my tone, but that is not right these cars are made to drive on the track and at high RPMs, " staying away from 5600-6000 RPMs" is not an option!

Thanks.

Guys, its a shut off mechanism to protect you from blowing the valves right through the hood

every high performance car has one. My car shuts down when i exceed redline in first gear, trust me you want that...they call it a redline for a reason....

when you are pedal down and you actually realize the tachometer reading redline it has already exceeded it... so in fact it wont shut the engine off around redline, but if redline is say 6500rpm at 6501 its gonna shut down...

Guys, its a shut off mechanism to protect you from blowing the valves right through the hood

every high performance car has one. My car shuts down when i exceed redline in first gear, trust me you want that...they call it a redline for a reason....

when you are pedal down and you actually realize the tachometer reading redline it has already exceeded it... so in fact it wont shut the engine off around redline, but if redline is say 6500rpm at 6501 its gonna shut down...

i always thought redline was like the speed limit, just a suggested rpm to shift like the speed limit is a suggested speed? LOL

i usually shift over the line just a hair and usually im going a tad faster than the limit.

michael

This car/engine does not just shut down, it craps and pops and is not running correctly, I do know the difference. So in theory your opinion stands up but this is not the case, the car, as I said before, craps, farts and pops and is not running correctly. It seems to be having a computer issue or something. Hmmm I say back to other opinions. Any others?

Well I think Bud also is right, I know that even in my automatic F150 that if you rev it in neutral to redline it does the same thing, makes a few pops and sputters. This happens in ALL cars, I would say try Bud's solution of upshifting a little bit earlier.

i always thought redline was like the speed limit, just a suggested rpm to shift like the speed limit is a suggested speed? LOL

i usually shift over the line just a hair and usually im going a tad faster than the limit.

michael

Duh! That's only in the Ford GT racing game! Turn off your computer and sell cars!

Bud is correct in his assessment. You are probably hitting the rev limiter. You would need a custom tune to raise the rev limit. Easily done by any competent tuner using SCT or Daiblosport software. Even the handheld tuners from these companies will allow you to raise the rev limit.

SCT = Xcalibrator 2

Diablosport = Predator

Bud is correct in his assessment. You are probably hitting the rev limiter. You would need a custom tune to raise the rev limit. Easily done by any competent tuner using SCT or Daiblosport software. Even the handheld tuners from these companies will allow you to raise the rev limit.

SCT = Xcalibrator 2

Diablosport = Predator

What tune is on there now, that comes with the 90MM cold air kit and from Shelby? Also would this void the warranty if some thing should go wrong with the car?

thanks

I believe it is the FRPP tune. Do a seacrh for a company called bamachips. The guys name is Doug. Everyone at a site I freguent swares by this guy. Very good guy to deal with and his tunes are great.

Please take the rev-limiter very seriously. It is not a question of if, just when you’ll blow the engine. Yes, with any re- programmer, like the SCT, you can change the rev-limiter limit, but you can also really screw up your car, I learned the hard way and it cost BIG $$$$$ to correct the problem. I know I may be preaching to the choir, but these new cars have some very sophisticated computer controls and you really need to understand how these Engine Control Modules (ECM) and programs work. BE CAREFUL!

Bub – will SAI provide to the owners the program you installed in the SGT? I have an SCT Xcalibrator and I assume we can use this programmer to re-flash the SGT if necessary. I am just surprised that the dealers are not given the flash program SAI used in tuning the SGT.

For the Forum – there is a shop in Florida, Blue Oval Chips (performance tunes for Ford products), I have used to re-program my, don’t laugh, 2003 Crown Victoria LX Sport. With Lonnie’s performance tune the car is very close to 309 hp, plus a few SVT performance bolts ons (going to add long tube headers, high flow cat, x-pipes, and performance mufflers, is should dyno out to 325hp) If any one is looking for a more radical racing tune, you might what to check out Blue Oval Chips, just as an alternative.

Wed Site – www.blueovalchips.com,

e-mail - Lonnie@blueovalchips.com. – :D gor256

Archived