TEAM SHELBY FORUM

wheel sensors

switch

I can't find anywhere in the manual how to reprogram the wheel sensors if putting new wheels and tires on our Shelby GT's. Thanks in advance.

Its my understanding that you have to have a special tool that will allow you to reprogram your sensors. Any Ford dealer should be able to do this for you.

Is this true that I need a special tool for reprogramming the new sensors?

Im not 100% on this but im pretty sure if you use the same sensors that came on the car, no. If you put new sensors on the car then yes, they have to programed to the car and you will have to take to the dealer or a shop that has the tool so they can re-program the sensor system.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, i assume the sensors you guys are talking about are air pressure sensors? Since i'm not a fan of black wheels they are being swapped for the factory polished bullits like my wifes 06 GT. Guess there shouldn't be any issues since they are the same wheels, other than finish.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, i assume the sensors you guys are talking about are air pressure sensors? Since i'm not a fan of black wheels they are being swapped for the factory polished bullits like my wifes 06 GT. Guess there shouldn't be any issues since they are the same wheels, other than finish.

Nothing Idiot about that.......

The sensors we are talking about are the ones that are in the wheels.

Nothing Idiot about that.......

The sensors we are talking about are the ones that are in the wheels.

I guess all the factory wheels would have sensors then, and there should be no problem putting factory polished bullits on. Didn't know they even had them. Guess my wife's 06 GT has them also.

Thanks Noel

I guess all the factory wheels would have sensors then, and there should be no problem putting factory polished bullits on. Didn't know they even had them. Guess my wife's 06 GT has them also.

Thanks Noel

Don't know about pror to 07 but, for 07+ they all do.

Ed

What if I don't add the sensors, say, for winter tires / wheels? The idiot light will just glow, correct? The sensors and bands costs over $400 for the set of 4 at Tire Rack!

I haven't had / used / needed tire pressure sensors since I started driving in 1971, so I don't know why I really need it now...

What if I don't add the sensors, say, for winter tires / wheels? The idiot light will just glow, correct? The sensors and bands costs over $400 for the set of 4 at Tire Rack!

I haven't had / used / needed tire pressure sensors since I started driving in 1971, so I don't know why I really need it now...

Im not sure if the information from the sensor is sent to the ABS or not based on wheel speed ect..... I will see what i can find out tommorow at work..............

The tire rack is where I also got the info from ilmor. I'm looking into 20" rims so the straps on our present rims won't work. Do we have to have a Dealer re-program the sensors or is it something we can do??

The tire rack is where I also got the info from ilmor. I'm looking into 20" rims so the straps on our present rims won't work. Do we have to have a Dealer re-program the sensors or is it something we can do??

If you are changing sensors completely, You will need to re-program the new sensors to the car. It will require the dealer or someone with the equipment to do it. The car will not recognise the new sensors without that procedure and equipment.

Guys. When adding aftermarket wheels, please note which sensor comes off of which wheel. When we mount the Razors, we are sure to put the LF back on the LF. Of course we have to add longer bands on the wheels before we reinstall them. Ford can reprogram the sensors. How else are you going to rotate tires? I'm not sure if they have addressed rotation of tires at all of the Tire and Wheel shops. Maybe the Tire Rack might know.....?????-John

Two Things:

1) I picked up a nail in one tire, the pressure dropped and a light came on in the dash, no buzzer...

2) I've rotated tires right to left/left to right (not front to back because the sizes are different F to R on the GT500); no buzzers or lights went off and no re-programming of any kind was needed.

I've been told by the dealer that I bought my GT500 from that the tire pressure sensors are in the valve stems, you can install new FoMoCo valve stems with new rims or use the old ones if they are removed carefully.

If you change tire size or rear end gears you will most likely need to recalibrate (or reprogram) the speedo.

Hope that helps,

WP

• 7 months later...

I had the same situation with mine. I changed my Black wheels with ones off another SGT that had the polished aluminum wheels and sensors. The idiot light keeps coming on stating that it cannot read the sensors. I will bring it by the Ford dealership in the near future to have the hood scoop replaced and have them take a look at the sensors at the same time. Got to admit, the polished wheels look so much better.

Sorry to say I'm getting a tad lazy here, but there are 14+ pages in my big red book on the TPMS system for 2007. I can't absorb it all, nor do I wish to do all that typing.

Yes...There are two types of sensors. One is in the valve stem, the other is strapped around the wheel at the center, 180 degrees opposite from the valve stem.

Low pressure will throw a code to the Message Center, but no mention of any audible "chime", or other warning. And, it doesn't go away until the problem is solved.

The L-F wheel seems to contain the "master" sensor from the factory, because all diagnosis plans start there. However, it is also stated that tire rotation (with same size all around) will not affect this.

It appears that a "reset" of communications between the sensors and the PCM is a matter of driving the car for a while, and I remembr this from my own experience. I got a low pressure signal and stopped to inflate my tires to correct PSI. The warning didn't go away until I recycled the ignition, meaning that I parked the car for half an hour and came back, and everything was okay.

If you have a specific question, I'll look it up, but there is too much crap in this book to spell it all out here.

Big red book section is 204-04-13.

I had the same situation with mine. I changed my Black wheels with ones off another SGT that had the polished aluminum wheels and sensors. The idiot light keeps coming on stating that it cannot read the sensors. I will bring it by the Ford dealership in the near future to have the hood scoop replaced and have them take a look at the sensors at the same time. Got to admit, the polished wheels look so much better.

The TPM system just needs to be re-programed/calibrated at ford. This tells the puter in the car what sensor is where and so on......

:)

Yes there is an audible chime when the system faults for what ever reason, Thats what makes you look at the IPC. On the newer cars such as ours i should say.

There is no Main at the left front wheel. The sensors are the same at all 4. Thats why when you do a rotation, they need to be reset. Why? Because when your wheels are put on at the factory, The sensors are "Learned" for that position. So when your right front loses air, the computer knows that its the right front so it regesters the fault on the IPC as right front. If you move the wheels around, I.E. rotations. The vehicle will regester the wrong sensor in a different position. It will say your right front is low but in actuality it is the right rear losing air if you rotated front to back so in other words,

Registering Your Sensors

When Ford places the sensors on the wheels at the factory, they are scanned and registered (assigned) to a specific wheel. This allows your technician to determine exactly where there is a problem. The sensors measure air pressure ONLY, so there is no need to register your sensors again if you buy larger rims. However, when having new wheels and tires mounted and balanced by a non-Ford Dealer, it is important that your tire technician put your sensors in the same location on the car.

For example, the sensor that was assigned to the Front Right Wheel will need to go on the new rim going in that location. If this is not done, you will need to re-register the sensors so that if there is a problem with the TPMS system, it can be properly diagnosed.

If you want when i go back to work on wed. I will pull it up in Oasis at ford to be more exact...... :)

The TPM system just needs to be re-programed/calibrated at ford. This tells the puter in the car what sensor is where and so on......

:)

Yes there is an audible chime when the system faults for what ever reason, Thats what makes you look at the IPC. On the newer cars such as ours i should say.

There is no Main at the left front wheel. The sensors are the same at all 4. Thats why when you do a rotation, they need to be reset. Why? Because when your wheels are put on at the factory, The sensors are "Learned" for that position. So when your right front loses air, the computer knows that its the right front so it regesters the fault on the IPC as right front. If you move the wheels around, I.E. rotations. The vehicle will regester the wrong sensor in a different position. It will say your right front is low but in actuality it is the right rear losing air if you rotated front to back so in other words,

Registering Your Sensors

When Ford places the sensors on the wheels at the factory, they are scanned and registered (assigned) to a specific wheel. This allows your technician to determine exactly where there is a problem. The sensors measure air pressure ONLY, so there is no need to register your sensors again if you buy larger rims. However, when having new wheels and tires mounted and balanced by a non-Ford Dealer, it is important that your tire technician put your sensors in the same location on the car.

For example, the sensor that was assigned to the Front Right Wheel will need to go on the new rim going in that location. If this is not done, you will need to re-register the sensors so that if there is a problem with the TPMS system, it can be properly diagnosed.

If you want when i go back to work on wed. I will pull it up in Oasis at ford to be more exact...... :)

Though we posted within minutes of each other, we seem to offer quite different advice.

I'm just reading from Ford's "big red book" for 2007, which means it may have gone to press in 2006, and therefore may be stale 411.

Where are you getting your 411 from?

I hate revive this thread, but I got new 20" Razors and the shop who installed them forgot about the sensors. Now they won't know what sensor goes to which wheel. I am ordering the 20" bands tomorrow. I guess that's all I can do, right?

You might not (or might) need to have the TPMS re-trained by a Ford dealer or the tire shop. The information below is out of the Ford Service Manual.

According to the manual: "The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation." This would seem to indicate that the TPMS training is associated with each TPMS receiver and not the TPMS transmitter inside the wheels.

This would mean you only need to re-train when you get a new sensor. If you are re-using the old sensors you should be OK regardless of what wheel they are on.

SECTION 204-04: Wheels and Tires 2007 Mustang Workshop Manual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training

Special Tool(s) Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS)

software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool, Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor

204-363

NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB). Refer to TPMS Indicator Illuminates Continuously in the Principles of Operation portion of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System Diagnosis and Testing section.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise and at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from other vehicles equipped with TPMS.

RF noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.

NOTE: The SJB has a 2 minute time limit between sensor responses. If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.

- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.

- Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

- Press and release the brake pedal.

- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

- Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the activation tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the smart junction box (SJB). Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.

The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.

For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor IDs trained to the SJB and document them on the applicable warranty claim.

NOTE: This step is required to clear DTC C2780, cause the SJB to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed SJB.

If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new SJB, clear any DTCs and perform the SJB on-demand self-test.

You might (or might not) need to have the TPMS re-trained by a Ford dealer or the tire shop. The information below is out of the Ford Service Manual.

According to the manual: "The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation." This would seem to indicate that the TPMS training is associated with each TPMS reciever and not the TPMS transmitter inside the wheels.

SECTION 204-04: Wheels and Tires 2007 Mustang Workshop Manual

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensor Training

Special Tool(s) Vehicle Communication Module (VCM) and Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS)

software with appropriate hardware, or equivalent scan tool, Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor

204-363

NOTE: If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, the sensors will go into a "sleep mode" to conserve battery power. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit the latest tire pressure information to the smart junction box (SJB). Refer to TPMS Indicator Illuminates Continuously in the Principles of Operation portion of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System Diagnosis and Testing section.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise and at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from other vehicles equipped with TPMS.

RF noise is generated by electrical motors and appliance operation, cellular telephones, remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

NOTE: If a sensor does not respond to the activation tool, attempt to activate the same sensor with the activation tool. If the sensor still does not respond, move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least 1/4 of a turn and attempt to activate the same sensor again.

NOTE: The SJB has a 2 minute time limit between sensor responses. If the SJB does not recognize any 1 of the 4 tire pressure sensors during this time limit, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT and the entire procedure must be repeated.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.

- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.

- Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

- Press and release the brake pedal.

- Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

- Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.

The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.

NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the activation tool must remain in place 180 degrees from the valve stem.

Place the activation tool on the LF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the smart junction box (SJB). Click here to view an animated version of this procedure.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the activation tool on the RF tire sidewall opposite (180 degrees) from the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.

The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.

For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.

Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor IDs trained to the SJB and document them on the applicable warranty claim.

NOTE: This step is required to clear DTC C2780, cause the SJB to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed SJB.

If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new SJB, clear any DTCs and perform the SJB on-demand self-test.

Same stuff I read, just didn't feel up to typing it all out.

Archived