TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel sensors

switch

I have a question that I'm not sure about. If I were to put on new tires and wheels on my SGT, do I also need to put the tire pressure sensors on them or can I leave them off? I'm looking to put new wheels on and I don't want to pay for 4 new sensors, thanks.

I have a question that I'm not sure about. If I were to put on new tires and wheels on my SGT, do I also need to put the tire pressure sensors on them or can I leave them off? I'm looking to put new wheels on and I don't want to pay for 4 new sensors, thanks.

Yes. The sensors must be reinstalled on the new wheels with a kit from the dealer you are buying the wheels from. They know what you are supposed have, ask them to do it.

Search this forum. Someone back in February gave the part numbers. I know this because I used those part numbers to order them for my car. I just don't have the paper work with me right now.

I ended up returning them in the end because I am getting teh Razors.

Yes, you have to put the wheels sensors back on. In fact, they HAVE to go back on where they came off of. Rf to RF LF to LF RR to RR and LR to LF. If not, it will trigger the tire pressure light on your dash and it will NEVER go out!!!!

Bud

Yes, you have to put the wheels sensors back on. In fact, they HAVE to go back on where they came off of. Rf to RF LF to LF RR to RR and LR to LF. If not, it will trigger the tire pressure light on your dash and it will NEVER go out!!!!

Bud

You can reuse the sensors from your original wheels; they are just snapped into the metal straps/brackets that are on the original rims.

The problem is Ford now crimps on the Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) stainless steel straps that hold the sensors onto the rims and you can’t get the strap off without breaking it. Four (4) new Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) straps and mounting brackets are needed for new rims.

If you are going to get new 18 inch rims then the Ford part number for the TPMS 18 inch strap and bracket is: 6F2Z-1A193-E. They are about $55.00 each (retail). If you are going to use something other than 18 inch rims then you can get the part number from someone at a Ford dealer parts department.

Also, I haven’t tried this, but some people just swap rims and don’t bother putting the straps or sensors in the new wheels. Supposedly, you can just hit the RESET button on the dash after you start the car and the TPMS warning light will go out. But you have to do this every time you start the car. I would spend the money on the new straps…

Ok, I'm going to ask.

Call me an old fart (at 34? :huh: ) but I'm actually still a person who uses one of them thar tire gauges ( y'all remember them right? Little silver thing that has an "extention" everytime it gets blowed on?) to check my aire pressure (one in the barn, house and two of the three cars - not in the Shelby yet and obvioulsy no need to hurry).

What it the battery life expectancy of these here new fangled, air pressure telling gizmos?

Ok, I'm going to ask.

Call me an old fart (at 34? :huh: ) but I'm actually still a person who uses one of them thar tire gauges ( y'all remember them right? Little silver thing that has an "extention" everytime it gets blowed on?) to check my aire pressure (one in the barn, house and two of the three cars - not in the Shelby yet and obvioulsy no need to hurry).

What it the battery life expectancy of these here new fangled, air pressure telling gizmos?

The batteries will die very soon after the warranty expires.

The batteries will die very soon after the warranty expires.

:D Figures.

So do they have to be replaced? I am assuming so and to do this is a labor intensive, ultimately expensive job. I also bet Ford designed some special battery that needs to be imported from Poland and they are always on backorder.

Or you can get them off of Ebay for $1.99 with $49.95 S&H.

Bud

Bud,

Question: If we get new 20" rims and tires from SAI and have them shipped to us will there be tire sensors included in them or do we have to add them on aftermarket? Also, will the stock Ford sensors work on the bigger wheels? Thanks,

Dave

Bud,

Question: If we get new 20" rims and tires from SAI and have them shipped to us will there be tire sensors included in them or do we have to add them on aftermarket? Also, will the stock Ford sensors work on the bigger wheels? Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You can reuse the sensors, but you will have to replace the straps. Just about any tire dealer can do this for you. When we switch over to 20" wheels, we reuse the the sensors and put on new straps. Just remember, place the sensor OPPOSITE of the tire valve!!!!!! This helps distrubute the weight.

Bud

Hi Dave,

You can reuse the sensors, but you will have to replace the straps. Just about any tire dealer can do this for you. When we switch over to 20" wheels, we reuse the the sensors and put on new straps. Just remember, place the sensor OPPOSITE of the tire valve!!!!!! This helps distrubute the weight.

Bud

Thanks Bud,

I appreciate the quick reply and tech advice on the placement of the sensors.

I may spring for a new set of sensors and straps when I get my new wheels in case I want to switch back.

Dave

If putting on aftermarket tires and wheels, where do you purchase new sensors, if I want to keep the stock wheels in tact, and who programs the new sensors to match the car?

Can get at local Ford dealer - PART # 6F2Z 1A193 E, $57.00 per wheel

Archived