TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tach? Shift Light? Hood Tach?

stump_breaker

I hate the placement of the tach. When your hammered down the last thing you need to be doing is darting your eyes back and forth between the road and the tach.

So I thought about a shift light.

Naw, I don't like idiot lights.

A hood tach would be cool and kind of retro but I can't find one that will accentuate the lines of the car and blend. Plus I would have two tachs.

So I got to thinking....

There is a space between the hood and the engine-well when you are sitting in the car with a black plastic something just taking up space. Wouldn't a set of led's - one light to represent every 1000 rpm, 3 greens, 2 yellows and 1 red - go perfect here? You could keep your eyes on the road, know the rpm's of the engine, not damage the looks of the car and not have 2 tachs which is, well, stupid.

Now, anybody know how to build one? :huh:

EDIT:

Well, I just found how to build one - http://www.t-r-j.com/Auto/Tach/tachometer.htm

tachometer.gif

So I got to thinking....

There is a space between the hood and the engine-well when you are sitting in the car with a black plastic something just taking up space. Wouldn't a set of led's - one light to represent every 1000 rpm, 3 greens, 2 yellows and 1 red - go perfect here? You could keep your eyes on the road, know the rpm's of the engine, not damage the looks of the car and not have 2 tachs which is, well, stupid.

Now, anybody know how to build one? :huh:

These types of things are sold. MDS has some, but you'd have to to some googling to find that specific design. if it's even available. Or you could use that schematic and built it yourself!

I hate the placement of the tach. When your hammered down the last thing you need to be doing is darting your eyes back and forth between the road and the tach.

I don't usually look at the tach..at all. I've always shifted completely on feel, and the sound of the motor.

• 3 weeks later...

You really need to look at this product prior to adding any shift light or guage pod. I am thinking of adding the SC option. While I like the SAI guage pod it just dosent look clean. I had a Speed of Sound guage pod on my 04 SVT Cobra and received compliments at every show. It is neat and clean.

If I do the SC option, I will purchase and send to SAI for install with the Shelby signature guages. The shift light is by Raptor. Small and VERY bright. The Speed of Sound guage pillar pod has an option of 2 or 3 pods along with the mounting bracket for the shift light. When complete it looks like it is suspended in mid air. I think I have seen digital tach's in the 2 1/16" format that would fit right into this pod.

There is no mess to deal with. No painting etc. It is made from the OE "A" pillar and modified by SOS with the same grain, color and finish as the "A" pillar. Just though I would share the information.

Here are the links for the products:

http://www.raptorperformance.com/

http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/

You really need to look at this product prior to adding any shift light or guage pod. I am thinking of adding the SC option. While I like the SAI guage pod it just dosent look clean. I had a Speed of Sound guage pod on my 04 SVT Cobra and received compliments at every show. It is neat and clean.

If I do the SC option, I will purchase and send to SAI for install with the Shelby signature guages. The shift light is by Raptor. Small and VERY bright. The Speed of Sound guage pillar pod has an option of 2 or 3 pods along with the mounting bracket for the shift light. When complete it looks like it is suspended in mid air.

There is no mess to deal with. No painting etc. It is made from the OE "A" pillar and modified by SOS with the same grain, color and finish as the "A" pillar. Just though I would share the information.

I would prefer a digital bar graph but short of building one myself, I think I'm going to go with a shift light. I would prefer to know my rpm range than just the shift point though. You said that one is from Rator? I'm looking for the smallest I can find.

I would prefer a digital bar graph but short of building one myself, I think I'm going to go with a shift light. I would prefer to know my rpm range than just the shift point though. You said that one is from Rator? I'm looking for the smallest I can find.

Raptor IS the smallest. I think you will like. I have also added to the post. Take a look. They make 2 1/16" tach. it would fit right in front of your line of vision.

Raptor IS the smallest. I think you will like. I have also added to the post. Take a look. They make 2 1/16" tach. it would fit right in front of your line of vision.

OK, I'll check them out. Thanks...

I may hold off on a pod and gauges until after the S/C install sometime in the near future hopefully.

Archived