TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Debunking a Friends Shelby GT Argument

mjeagent

I have been getting this same argument from a few friends - "The GT is not a real Shelby like the GT500. The Shelby GT is just a Mustang GT with the Shelby package." Unfortunately, I don't know enough to respond to this argument. I thought the GT500 was a regular GT mustang a Shelby package.

They're all Shelby's.

Some feel that the SGT is the real Shelby because they take a Mustang and ship it to SAI for mods just like they did in the 60"s. Shelby transforms a Mustang GT into a Shelby GT.

I definitely don't want to say anything bad about the GT500 because there is nothing bad to say. However, some argue that the GT500 is a Cobra SVT because it is off the same production line as previous years and it is not sent to Shelby Autos for the transfromation.

Order your SGT with the Super Charger and then race your GT500 friends - enough said.

To each his own; as long as we all can say that "we own a Shelby."

They're all Shelby's.

Some feel that the SGT is the real Shelby because they take a Mustang and ship it to SAI for mods just like they did in the 60"s. Shelby transforms a Mustang GT into a Shelby GT.

I definitely don't want to say anything bad about the GT500 because there is nothing bad to say. However, some argue that the GT500 is a Cobra SVT because it is off the same production line as previous years and it is not sent to Shelby Autos for the transfromation.

Order your SGT with the Super Charger and then race your GT500 friends - enough said.

To each his own; as long as we all can say that "we own a Shelby."

again i agree,

i think the SGT is more shelby because they actually lay hand on this car. the GT500 is a great car and a great shebly, but it is built on the same line as a 6cyl not a shelby. please understand i not talking a bad about either car, i have been lucky enough to drive both and the hertz too. i love the car buisness, have i said that before?

remember you cant agrue with ignorance!

michael

again i agree,

i think the SGT is more shelby because they actually lay hand on this car. the GT500 is a great car and a great shebly, but it is built on the same line as a 6cyl not a shelby. please understand i not talking a bad about either car, i have been lucky enough to drive both and the hertz too. i love the car buisness, have i said that before?

remember you cant agrue with ignorance!

michael

I agree with Michael. I love both cars and would love to have one of each (okay, all three if I could find a decent GT-H) in my garage. Unfortunately, this is the real world...

The Shelby GT is transformed from a "lowly" Mustang GT by Shelby Automobiles, Inc., just like they did in the 1960's with the GT350/GT350H. To say that the car isn't a Shelby would be like saying that a Saleen isn't a Saleen, a Rouche isn't a Rouche, and a Steeda isn't a Steeda. They all started life as a basic production car, but someone had better things planned for them.

The GT500 is a Shelby also, but the link is less direct. It is my understanding that the current GT500 was developed by Ford SVT (the Condor project), and Mr. Shelby came on board rather late in the game to lend his expertise (I have heard that the wider rear tires were his idea...) and his name. I'm sure that he's getting some kind of royalty from each GT500 sold, but his company doesn't produce/massage the cars.

Enjoy the moment (2006 GT-H, 2007 GT500, 2007 GT, 2008 GT500KR...???). It's a great day to be alive.

This person you speak of is fairly ignorant or a hater. The SGT is made at Shelby. I didnt realize Shelby sold cars in Las vegas that arent Shelbys. The guy sounds like he is just trying to get to you. I say <bleep> em , let em be jelous. By the way I will be picking up my non Shelby in Las vegas ( with S/C) on friday april 27.

I have been getting this same argument from a few friends - "The GT is not a real Shelby like the GT500. The Shelby GT is just a Mustang GT with the Shelby package." Unfortunately, I don't know enough to respond to this argument. I thought the GT500 was a regular GT mustang a Shelby package.

Shelby Automobiles International headquarterd in Las Vegas built the Shelby GT there in its own facility. The GT500 was NOT sent to Shelby Automobiles International thus was not built by Shelby and was built completely at Ford by SVT. Does that make the GT500 NOT a Shelby, well, I am not going to go there, period. If someone wants to argue about which is the true Shelby then I would say ask which one was actually built at Shelby Automobiles International. One thing I want to know is this, does the GT500 have the same Shelby authentication ID & serial number plates on the fenders in the engine compartment and in the cars dash board as the Shelby GT has? This is my take though, they are both awesome cars , period! B)

ShelbyGTMan,

We definitely, definitely need a report on April 27th by midnight on the supercharger! Everyone is waiting with bated breath to hear how it performs. Did you add the the razors and big brake kit?

Matt, I feel for you, man, but your car is coming and you're going to love it! Hang in there; you've added a ton to this forum. :D

From what I have seen and heard the 65-67 Shelby's were made just like out SGT's. In 68 Ford took over production and made the cars completely in Detroit. The 65-67 cars seem to have held their value better with the exception of the 68 GT-500KR. The 69-70 Shelbys are not nearly as popular as the earlier cars. The GT-500 is a Shelby but like the 68-70 cars it is made in Detroit on the SVT Cobra line and SAI does not have a hand in making them.

Both cars are Shelbys, ours are just finished out at SAI like the original cars were. Plus our cars have SAI build numbers which the GT-500s do not.

You would definately think there is MORE Shelby in the car that actually goes to Vegas like the cars did back in the Sixties when they were shipped to Shelby in California........

The GT500 is built entirely in Detroit at the Ford facility and is "more likely" to be dubbed the Shelby in name only.....irregardless of performance numbers.......

Now that said....didnt I read somewhere that the cars were only shipped to California in 1967. That in 1968 & 69, there was a Shelby facility right in Michigan where the conversions took place (so Ford could keep a tighter reign on Carroll than they felt they had with the Calif. operation).......does that make 68 & 69's any less a Shelby?

Our SGT is special for many reasons.........most of all .......for whatever reason that made you want to buy one..........

But mines a SHELBY......nah nah nah nah nah nah!!!!!!!

Not really. All shelbys 65,66,67 were made at shelby LA. Then in 68 thru 70 they were shipped to ford for the conversion. I think Shelby went to Africa or something.

ShelbyGTMan,

We definitely, definitely need a report on April 27th by midnight on the supercharger! Everyone is waiting with bated breath to hear how it performs. Did you add the the razors and big brake kit?

Matt, I feel for you, man, but your car is coming and you're going to love it! Hang in there; you've added a ton to this forum. :D

Well ok. I am arriving on thursday, picking up my car on friday and will be driving it to the SF Bay area. Saturday I am off to dream Machines car show in Half moon Bay Ca. I will have time sat nite to update you poor souls that are waiting for your car with S/C. I am not much of a writer but Ill give you something to keep your spirits up. Hang in there!

ShelbyGTMan,

Well ok. I am arriving on thursday, picking up my car on friday and will be driving it to the SF Bay area. Saturday I am off to dream Machines car show in Half moon Bay Ca. I will have time sat nite to update you poor souls that are waiting for your car with S/C. I am not much of a writer but Ill give you something to keep your spirits up. Hang in there If i can I will post on friday nite.

.....speaking about the move from CA to MI, "These [1967] were the last California bult Shelby Mustangs, before production moved from Los Angeles to the A.O. Smith plant in Livonia, Michigan. Shelby's lease at the airport was up and Dearborn officials needed no other excuse to bring the GT350/500 "into the fold." Althought they did have another-there was no high quality fiberglass source in the LA area, but there was in Canada not far from Detroit-Ford's agenda was to gain full control over the Shelby Mustang's future. Shelby was fed up with the deal by 1967 anyway. He had wanted to build race cars, but Ford wanted only racing imagery, with a car designed for the road."

-Mustang 1964 1/2-1973 Mike Mueller 2000

....I hope I sourced that properly :P

I suspect the reason they didn't call this car the GT350 is because the GT350 is yet to come out.

So there would be a GT, GT350, GT500, GT500KR and there is supposedly another GT500?? version coming soon.

That may very well be the case, but I have to wonder if the cars were called GTs because of Ford and Shelbys lawsuit back in 84 over the GT350 name.

Archived