TEAM SHELBY FORUM

IPOD in SGT

sdear

uh oh, I don't have my car and was about to try an order one from my MP3 makers, Creative, site. Is there a special connection plug or size I hav to look for? Or is it a standard headphone jack input?

Thank You,

Chris

It's the standard headphone jack located in the armrest storage area.

I use my iPod in the SGT all the time. You don't need the dock connector to do it. Just go to an electronics store and get a cable that will go from the headphone output on the iPod to the input in the arm rest, just make sure it is stereo. The mono cable only has one ring on each connector pin, the stereo wire has two rings on each pin.

Chris,

The same plug should work for your creative player also.

Ford also sells an iPod adaptor that plugs in to the back of the radio and lets you control the player through the factory radio. I think the cost is $250.00 and it is only good for vehicles made after 12/04/06.

I use my iPod in the SGT all the time. You don't need the dock connector to do it. Just go to an electronics store and get a cable that will go from the headphone output on the iPod to the input in the arm rest, just make sure it is stereo. The mono cable only has one ring on each connector pin, the stereo wire has two rings on each pin.

Chris,

Ford also sells an iPod adaptor that plugs in to the back of the radio and lets you control the player through the factory radio. I think the cost is $250.00 and it is only good for vehicles made after 12/04/06.

By using a 3.3 to 3.5mm connector,you lose some quality,verses the 1 Sdear is referring to.

Yes you're correct,you don't need THAT connector,but there is a difference! plus,you can control the volume via the radio/receiver control.

By using a 3.3 to 3.5mm connector,you lose some quality,verses the 1 Sdear is referring to.

Yes you're correct,you don't need THAT connector,but there is a difference! plus,you can control the volume via the radio/receiver control.

I know there is a small drop in audio quality, but I have never had anyone notice. Also, I control the volume of my iPod with the radio too. I set the volume of the iPod to about 90-95% and the sound level is about equal to FM and Sirius. The volume knob on the radio does the rest.

The main difference is radios with multiple cd ability can control an IPod from the radio head unit. Base model radios that can only hold 1 cd at a time can play and charge an iPod, but the IPod cannot be controled by the radio, it must be contoled by the iPod it's self. The plug on the back of the radio is present on all 05, 06 and 07 cars.

OK, I'm new to using my MP3 player in the car. I assume the above two posts only refer to the "Ipod" brand. The car radio can't control all MP3 players, right?

Yes, just the iPod. I don't think anyone has made a solution for the other Mp3 players yet. If you want the controls through the radio then ditch the creative and get an iPod. I have had one for several years and think it is great.

Yes, just the iPod. I don't think anyone has made a solution for the other Mp3 players yet. If you want the controls through the radio then ditch the creative and get an iPod. I have had one for several years and think it is great.

Agreed. The combination of iTunes and the iPod is unbeatable great design and attention to detail.

OK, I'm new to using my MP3 player in the car. I assume the above two posts only refer to the "Ipod" brand. The car radio can't control all MP3 players, right?

Check with a stereo shop. As long as your player makes allows you to organize your music by "playlist", you might be able to control the player from the radio (with the right plug adapter).

Here is the inside of the armrest. I didn't notice the input jack until it was mentioned here.

post-2879-1140410700_thumb.jpg

Agreed. The combination of iTunes and the iPod is unbeatable great design and attention to detail.

Sorry, I'm the other guy. I absolutely hated my 80 gb Ipod. Anytime I tried to open it with another program then went back to Itunes, it would erase the Ipod! This and other problems which required certain programs in order to hack the Ipod and finally I just sold the thing. And trying to recode movies to fit the thing was absurd! It's too much of a headache unless you do exactly what it wants you to and nothing else. I went Creative Zen and will never look back. It is so much more user friendly. I also like the fact the Zen has a built in microphone. I have a recording studio and I'm always getting stuck somewhere w/o my recording equipment. The Zen, although mid grade quality, makes it easier for those spur-of-the-moment live recordings.

Here is a recording clip using the Zen from my Dodge truck exhaust. http://media.putfile.com/Old-School-Exhaust-

I do admit though, all of the things specially made for the Ipod does make life a lot easier.

Anytime I tried to open it with another program then went back to Itunes, it would erase the Ipod! I do admit though, all of the things specially made for the Ipod does make life a lot easier.

Yes, if you try to move the ipod to another computer with a different iTunes library and YOU set the iPod to automattically sync with iTunes, and YOU click "Ok" to the warning dialog that specifically asks you if YOU are sure YOU want to replace the contents of the iPod with the contents of this computer's Library, then yes you're right this WILL happen! <_<

As for video, Handbrake is all you need to convert formats iTunes does not, and it's free! VERY cool application (Mac, WIN, Linux).

http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Just sayin...

Also....I was surprised not to see Ford's new "Sync" as an option for the 08 Mustang. This is really the ultimate solution for all of us. Even those that use Microsoft's "Not-so Sure" technology. :P

Yes, if you try to move the ipod to another computer with a different iTunes library and YOU set the iPod to automattically sync with iTunes, and YOU click "Ok" to the warning dialog that specifically asks you if YOU are sure YOU want to replace the contents of the iPod with the contents of this computer's Library, then yes you're right this WILL happen! <_<

As for video, Handbrake is all you need to convert formats iTunes does not, and it's free! VERY cool application (Mac, WIN, Linux).

Just sayin...

Also....I was surprised not to see Ford's new "Sync" as an option for the 08 Mustang. This is really the ultimate solution for all of us. Even those that use Microsoft's "Not-so Sure" technology. :P

I was going to tell him pretty much the same thing, but You beat me to it. Plus, iTunes/iPod is the only music player that is compatible with Apple and Microsoft.

Also, contrary to popular bieleif, you are not "locked in" to Apple with the iPod. I have many songs on my iPod that did not come from Apple and they play fine.

Sorry, I'm the other guy. I absolutely hated my 80 gb Ipod. Anytime I tried to open it with another program then went back to Itunes, it would erase the Ipod! This and other problems which required certain programs in order to hack the Ipod and finally I just sold the thing. And trying to recode movies to fit the thing was absurd! It's too much of a headache unless you do exactly what it wants you to and nothing else. I went Creative Zen and will never look back. It is so much more user friendly. I also like the fact the Zen has a built in microphone. I have a recording studio and I'm always getting stuck somewhere w/o my recording equipment. The Zen, although mid grade quality, makes it easier for those spur-of-the-moment live recordings.

Here is a recording clip using the Zen from my Dodge truck exhaust. http://media.putfile.com/Old-School-Exhaust-

I do admit though, all of the things specially made for the Ipod does make life a lot easier.

Was that in a Dodge with a 318/360? I have an 04 Hemi 5.7,single exhaust,and the only upgrade I did was go with AERO muffler and resonator. Been trying to talk the wifey into letting me buy headers and a blower,but always catch her on a bad day :(

Pertaining to this thread,the audio via the connection Sdear spoke about is killer,in comparision to sat radio,same song etc.

Ummm, no.

Are you using the latest version of I tunes? It did not give you the option and even when you held the shift key so it would not auto sync it would still erase the entire contents. That's why I did not like it. It not about YOU it's about IPOD.

But then I don't own stock in the company so I have no reason to defend them. :rolleyes:

I have/had ITunes on my recording studio computer and it would require so much it would conflict with my Sonar 5.

Oh and BTW, this was all on the same computer, not trying to move it from computer to computer. That was actually easy once you figured out the IPOD encryption.

Was that in a Dodge with a 318/360? I have an 04 Hemi 5.7,single exhaust,and the only upgrade I did was go with AERO muffler and resonator. Been trying to talk the wifey into letting me buy headers and a blower,but always catch her on a bad day :(

Actually that's a 2005 4.7 with a 24" Glasspack replacing the stock muffler.

Ummm, no.

Are you using the latest version of I tunes? It did not give you the option and even when you held the shift key so it would not auto sync it would still erase the entire contents. That's why I did not like it. It not about YOU it's about IPOD.

You probably did not have the right setting in the prefrences. On the main iPod screen in the iTunes playlist you have to have the auto syncing turned off. Also with the windows version there is another setting that has to be checked. I can't remember waht it is though. I remember my brother having the same problem.

Don't bash the iPod, it just does what it is told to do.

Don't bash the iPod, it just does what it is told to do.

LOL,

ok lets get something straight. I wasn't bashing the IPOD per say. For what I do it was not feasible for me. I know plenty others who love the thing (obviously quite a few here) but then most don't have a Windows based recording studio either (and I'm not promoting Windows by ANY means - I actually want a dedicated Mac but $4500 right now is too steep). In my Jeep the IPOD sounded fine and I'm sure it will sound fine the the Shelby as well. That was never the point of my post. I was just making conversation....

Lets just agree to disagree. I have my Zen, y'all (and probably soon my wife) have your IPOD's. They are both good machines but it's like comparing apples and ummmmm, Microsoft......

....stump you forget it is against the Forum rules do have a different preference then whatever the majority of people prefer on this site. We must all be the same. We must all have Ipods in our spoilerless cars with charcoal interior. There is no tolerance for individuality........ :P just kidding you'all please don't flame me.

....stump you forget it is against the Forum rules do have a different preference then whatever the majority of people prefer on this site. We must all be the same. We must all have Ipods in our spoilerless cars with charcoal interior. There is no tolerance for individuality........ :P just kidding you'all please don't flame me.

I wouldn't flame you. You do make a good point though. Most people think their opinions are right no matter what, thats just the way it is. I just take Apple bashing a little personal though. I own stock in the company and tend to push their products any time I get a chance.

As for the cars, let everyone do what they want with them. We all paid 40K for these things so we should have the right to do with them as we please. What works for you may not work for me, but thats why God made parts catalogs!

Ummm, no.

All the "Shift key" does is allow you to select a different library. Then iTunes WILL warn you and ask if you want use this library as the basis for your iPod sync. You need to say YES. iTunes WILL NOT erase your iPod on its own. If that were the case the phones at AppleCare would be ringing off the hook.

When you first connect iPod to your computer, iPod recognizes that computer as its "home" computer. Each time you connect, iPod automatically downloads the music library stored on it. When you connect iPod to a different computer, iTunes will inform you that iPod is linked to a different iTunes library and will ask whether you wish to erase iPod's contents and sync with the new computer's library. If you will be connecting to multiple computers frequently, configure your iPod to manually manage music. This will allow you to selectively drag songs, albums, or playlists from the second computer to your iPod without compromising the existing music.

In all my years of using the ipod, since the first one, and every generation since, on both Mac and Windows, in all the forums and reviews I have read, and all the Apple knowledge base articles, with more than 10 million sold the last three months alone, I have never seen this raised as an issue where it wasn't operator error. I have never, moving between machines, again mac to win and back, ever had an iPod get erased.

A picture is worth a thousand words

Archived