TEAM SHELBY FORUM

certificate of origination

intguys

I just recieved a certificate of origination from my ford dealer it looks like a title it's got a large blue oval on it with ford's name in it give the vehicle weight says 3,785 lbs. says t88 body, shelby gt500 I thought it would have where my car was built in line but didn't. I thought it was my title but I don't think so. Can anyone in the know help me with this? The funny thing is I still don't have my car!!!

I just recieved a certificate of origination from my ford dealer it looks like a title it's got a large blue oval on it with ford's name in it give the vehicle weight says 3,785 lbs. says t88 body, shelby gt500 I thought it would have where my car was built in line but didn't. I thought it was my title but I don't think so. Can anyone in the know help me with this? The funny thing is I still don't have my car!!!

Now this is indeed strange. When a car is built it does not have a title. Titles are issued by states. All manufacturers will issue a Certificate of Origin for the vehicle (used to be called Manufacturers Statement of Origin). Did you pay for the car already? THe COV is proof of ownership, you will give this to the state when you license your vehcile and they will issue the title. If you have paid for your car then it makes sense that they will pass the COV to you. However if you have not paid for your car then they made a mistake in sending this to you. Anyway the COV is the legal document illustrating the transfer of the vehicle from Ford to the Dealership (It should have thier name on it) On the back they have a place to fill in the name of the person to whom they will transfer the ownership to.

You may want to see if it is an original or a copy. With todays copiers you can make near photolike copies. Maybe it was a scan, However if it is the original then you already have ownership of the vehicle. (Provided that your name is listed in the first transfer section) I am speculating here but maybe the dealership (knowing you are a collector) made a copy for you to keep with the vehicle records, that way 50 years from now when you are showing your car at the local Mustang show you can have good documentation including a copy of the COV to dazzle the crowds with.

COV are like checks or money, they have security measures in them to prevent counterfiting.

here's the senerio, I'm buying from out of state dealer, I have already put all of my down payment on the car and filled out all the necessary paperwork for financing and the next day I was sent this from the dealer. My name was typed in the first position but at the bottom where it says lien holder there is the dealership's bank name. I'm guessing when I go to register and pay my state taxes here they will take that and issue me my states title and send it to ford credit who I'm doing financing through.

oh and by the way it's an original it's printed on both sides with all the counterfitting deterent in it. will dmv take this from me or can I keep this for my records?

here's the senerio, I'm buying from out of state dealer, I have already put all of my down payment on the car and filled out all the necessary paperwork for financing and the next day I was sent this from the dealer. My name was typed in the first position but at the bottom where it says lien holder there is the dealership's bank name. I'm guessing when I go to register and pay my state taxes here they will take that and issue me my states title and send it to ford credit who I'm doing financing through.

oh and by the way it's an original it's printed on both sides with all the counterfitting deterent in it. will dmv take this from me or can I keep this for my records?

They did send the COV to you. In most states the DMV will require you to forfiet the document to them and they will issue a title from this document. Since this form is what you need to get a title, most states do not want to have the doucument floating around. You will note that the form has space for Four total transactions. Picture this scenario if you did not turn the document in to the state.

Someone breaks into your house and finds this form. They like your car so they fill thier information in the next section of the form, turn it into the state and the state issues them a title. Now since they have title they have a claim on the ownership of the vehcile. Not good for you. There are some protections against this in most states but you get the idea.

Also one more thing. When you register the vehicle most states will send Title to the lienholder listed on the back. So if it is filled out to Ford Motor Credit, they will get the title.

Congrats on the car, hopefully it shows up soon so you can make all of us jealous.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I would make a copy. A copy would be non negotiable (like a copy of a $20.00 Bill) But it would be cool to have. Most people who get thier cars will not even know this exists.

Archived