TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Autograph protection

Speed

I am eagerly awaiting the return of my airbag cover with Carroll,s autograph. does anyone have any suggestions for protecting the autograph from getting worn off? ( I would never ever consider using a cleaner, etc. over it!) Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

I am eagerly awaiting the return of my airbag cover with Carroll,s autograph. does anyone have any suggestions for protecting the autograph from getting worn off? ( I would never ever consider using a cleaner, etc. over it!) Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

Polyurathane maybe? Clear tape?

I don't think you're really going to have a problem - unless you get in an accident and then the ambulance driver might wonder how you got Carroll Shelby to sign your forehead! :lol:

All the cars with sigs that Ive seen have been a silver paint marker on black pieces, and black on silver pieces.

Id say its safe to dust it with a dry cloth but I wouldnt use a cleaner or spray protectant on it.

kris.

Not really on topic but I thought this was VERY interesting! A dealer that actually sent the dash in for a signature, unless they got it some other way...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ltd-Ed-2007...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yea that looks like one that got sent in unless they paid for it in advance and had it done before the car was shipped to them.

Pleeeeaaase!!! tell me how you got the cover off????

Lonny

Pleeeeaaase!!! tell me how you got the cover off????

Lonny

You can take it to a dealer and have them remove the airbag or... do it youself. I was able to remove the passenger side air bag assembly and remove the dash covers from the assembly in about 15 minutes. It only has one electrical connector and two (2) bolts holding it in place. However, air bags can hurt you so if you're not sure don't mess with it.

Air%20Bag%20Removal%2001.jpg

Removal and Installation

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Carry a live air bag module with the air bag and deployment door pointed away from your body. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Do not set a live air bag module down with the deployment door face down. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

Depowering Procedure

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Never probe the connectors on the air bag module. Doing so can result in air bag deployment, which can result in personal injury.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: If a seat equipped with a supplemental restraint system (SRS) component is being serviced, the SRS must be depowered.[/color][/b]

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

1. Turn all vehicle accessories OFF.

2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

3. At the smart junction box (SJB), located in the RH lower kick panel, remove the cover and the restraints control module (RCM) fuse 17 (10A) from the SJB. For additional information, refer to the Wiring Diagram Manual.

4. Turn the ignition ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. The air bag indicator will remain lit continuously (no flashing) if the correct RCM fuse has been removed. If the air bag indicator does not remain lit continuously, remove the correct RCM fuse before proceeding.

5. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

6. WARNING: To avoid accidental deployment and possible personal injury, the backup power supply must be depleted before repairing or replacing any front or side air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) components and before servicing, replacing, adjusting or striking components near the front or side air bag sensors, such as doors, instrument panel, console, door latches, strikers, seats and hood latches.

The front impact severity sensor is located on the radiator support bracket.

The first row side impact sensors (if equipped) are located at or near the base of the B-pillars.

To deplete the backup power supply energy, disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute. Be sure to disconnect auxiliary batteries and power supplies (if equipped).

Disconnect the battery ground cable and wait at least one minute.

Air%20Bag%20Removal%2002.jpg

Repowering Procedure

1. WARNING: The restraint system diagnostic tool is for restraint system service only. Remove from vehicle prior to road use. Failure to remove could result in injury and possible violation of vehicle safety standards.

Make sure all restraint system diagnostic tool(s) that may have been installed during the repair have been removed from the vehicle and all SRS components are connected.

2. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to ON.

3. Install RCM fuse 17 (10A) to the SJB and close the cover.

4. WARNING: Be sure that nobody is in the vehicle and that there is nothing blocking or set in front of any air bag module when the battery ground cable is connected. Connect the battery ground cable.

5. Prove out the SRS as follows:

Turn the ignition key from ON to OFF. Wait 10 seconds, then turn the key back to ON and visually monitor the air bag indicator with the air bag modules installed. The air bag indicator will light continuously for approximately 6 seconds and then turn off. If an air bag SRS fault is present, the air bag indicator will:

- fail to light.

- remain lit continuously.

- flash.

The flashing might not occur until approximately 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned from the OFF to the ON position. This is the time required for the RCM to complete the testing of the SRS. If the air bag indicator is inoperative and a SRS fault exists, a chime will sound in a pattern of 5 sets of 5 beeps. If this occurs, the air bag indicator and any SRS fault discovered must be diagnosed and repaired.

Scheduled an appointment with my dealer for Monday. All of the red text and WARNING words scared me away from the project! If the project went true to form with others I have attempted, I would miss a sentence here, a word there, some BOLD RED TEXT, and end up sending my forehead to CS for an autograph!

• 4 weeks later...

Polyurathane maybe? Clear tape?

I don't think you're really going to have a problem - unless you get in an accident and then the ambulance driver might wonder how you got Carroll Shelby to sign your forehead! :lol:

Got my airbag cover back after 4 weeks and its got a beautiful autograph of Mr Shelby on it! he did it with a Sharpie black marker. I clear coated the upper panel with Rustoleum "Painters Touch" clear matte spray from Home depot for just under 4 bucks. Its not really a dead flat ,but more of a satin finish. You cant even tell the difference from the unpainted lower panel! I misted on 3 coats as a precaution so i wouldnt make the ink run. Then i sprayed on 3 wet coats to even the surface out. it dries very quickly and the autograph is now safely protected.

• 6 months later...

Ok, got the airbag out, now i need to remove the top cover only....

*EDIT*: Ok, it was a piece of cake removing the airbag if you followed the proceedure outlined above.

However, there's no need to attempt to seperate the metal pieces from the plastic housing. Instead, simply remove the actual airbag from the plastic housing. It comes out by rotating the airbag down into the plastic housing and using your fingers, just pop out the airbag fasteners on the lower part 1st. After that, the plastic housing will be rather pliable enough where you can slip out the upper air bag fasteners.

Now, time to box it up and ship it out.

I've seen a lot of older Shelby's with Carroll's signature and they all seem to be holding up well with nothing applied at all! I mean you don't want to spray windex on them and rub but thus far even those with silver pen over rough black trim look pretty good! I haven't seen anything applied over them yet.

For what it's worth!

Scheduled an appointment with my dealer for Monday. All of the red text and WARNING words scared me away from the project! If the project went true to form with others I have attempted, I would miss a sentence here, a word there, some BOLD RED TEXT, and end up sending my forehead to CS for an autograph!

+100000

I'd be the one guy...I swear! :blink:

Archived