TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hood Pin Kit Instructions

Budman340

Hi all!!!!!!!!

Here are the instructions for installing the hood pin kit. Now, this kit is for the GT. IT IS NOT RECOMENDED for the GT500!!!! You can modify the kit to work, but it may take alot of work to do it. We are developing a newer style hood pins that will be easy to install on the GT500.

Remove the black plastic radiator cover by pulling up on the center of the six retainers.

Remove the two bolts from one of the radiator upper brackets and remove bracket.

Install one hood pin bracket over the two bolt holes in the radiator support, turned to curl outward.

Install the radiator upper bracket over the hood pin bracket and install the two bolts.

Repeat with the other bracket.

If not using the Shelby Radiator Cover set the stock radiator cover in place.

Mark where the hood pin brackets will pass through the radiator cover.

Remove the radiator cover and cut openings for the hood pin brackets.

Test fit the radiator cover, trim as necessary, then set aside.

Loosely install the hood pins in the brackets with a nut above and below the brackets.

Run the hood pins down as low as possible and tighten the nuts finger tight.

There are various methods to mark the drill point such as masking tape or thin layer of clay on

The bottom of the hood, chalk on top of the hood pin, etc.

Lower the hood until it contacts the hood pins. Mark bottom of hood and drill ¾” holes.

Lower hood again until the pins contact the top of the hood. Mark top of hood and drill ¾” holes.

Close and latch hood down with hood pins protruding through top of hood.

Center hole in dress plate over hood pins and orient the four mounting holes to desired position.

Mark mounting holes and drill to 1/16”.

Secure plates with supplied screws. Do not over tighten to prevent stripping out the hole.

Adjust hood pin so retaining pin will not drag across the dress plate. Tighten hood pin nuts.

Install one end of the cable to the retaining pin by pulling one end of the ring away from the pin just

enough to install the cable end. Then let the end of the ring seat back into the pin.

Attach the other end of the cable to the vehicle by drilling and installing it to the radiator support near the hood pin bracket with a self-tapping screw or 1/8” rivet (not supplied). Excess cable can be tucked between the radiator support and the grille.

Set the radiator cover in place.

Install the six retainers and push the center locks fully down.

Here are some pictures and measurements of the top radiator cover.

cover1.jpg?t=1176575939

cover3.jpg?t=1176575983

cover2.jpg?t=1176576017

Thanks Bud. As always, great info and much appreciated.

I have one minor question/comment/recommendation about the pins. I was at a dealer recently who had an SGT on the floor. I noticed that the pins had a small amount of surface rust at the bottom around the thread area. I think there were large washers there too and there was rust around those too. It was very minor, but I was wondering if you guys could put some kind of spray lubricant in that area to prevent the rusting - especially since it is chrome and shouldn't rust. I know that this could simply be wiped and cleaned when we get ours, I just thought that if you guys put a little spray before it left your facility, it would take care if it early.

Just a minor request/comment. The car looked awesome!

I also took a good look at the grille and wasn't too worried about all the comments I've heard on this forum about how "unprofessional" it looked. You really had to get in there and inspect to see the original grille cut. From as little as 3 feet away, you couldn't notice anything at all. It was car 07SGT0519 I think.

Thanks Bud. As always, great info and much appreciated.

I have one minor question/comment/recommendation about the pins. I was at a dealer recently who had an SGT on the floor. I noticed that the pins had a small amount of surface rust at the bottom around the thread area. I think there were large washers there too and there was rust around those too. It was very minor, but I was wondering if you guys could put some kind of spray lubricant in that area to prevent the rusting - especially since it is chrome and shouldn't rust. I know that this could simply be wiped and cleaned when we get ours, I just thought that if you guys put a little spray before it left your facility, it would take care if it early.

Just a minor request/comment. The car looked awesome!

I also took a good look at the grille and wasn't too worried about all the comments I've heard on this forum about how "unprofessional" it looked. You really had to get in there and inspect to see the original grille cut. From as little as 3 feet away, you couldn't notice anything at all. It was car 07SGT0519 I think.

hi has anyone got instructions on how to remove the front Fascia so i can get the holes fixed the dealer drilled for lic plate thanks bob

hi has anyone got instructions on how to remove the front Fascia so i can get the holes fixed the dealer drilled for lic plate thanks bob

Hi Bob,

This is what I found on how to remove the front fasci. Hope it helps.

Bud

Remove upper grille from car

Remove two bolts at the top on each side of grille

Work grille out of the nine latches holding it to the front fascia and remove

Remove stock front fascia

Remove retainers holding the front of the wheel well liners to the front fascia

Remove two nuts from each side attaching fascia to the fenders

Disconnect the turn/park lights wiring

Pull top of fascia away from the clip on the top of each grill surround upright

Remove fascia

• 1 month later...

Bud: Can the metal discs that attach to the hood pins be purchased on their own? One of mine is scratched/dented. Think someone at the dealership opened the hood before releasing the pins.

Same here. I picked up my car last week, and both hood plates have dents across them from the dealer not reading the HUGE RED WARNING CARD hanging near the dash.

Jer

• 3 months later...

Same here. I picked up my car last week, and both hood plates have dents across them from the dealer not reading the HUGE RED WARNING CARD hanging near the dash.

Jer

I just picked up an 07 with 4k miles and have the same problem. The retaining pins are very cheap with no spring force to hold them closed. I checked Ford Racing parts and they do not list the covers or pins.

I've used hood pins before and the ones that come with this car suck. The lack of dressing the burrs and painting the holes drilled in the hood is pretty lame too. They should have just left them off.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• 6 months later...
I just picked up an 07 with 4k miles and have the same problem. The retaining pins are very cheap with no spring force to hold them closed. I checked Ford Racing parts and they do not list the covers or pins.

I've used hood pins before and the ones that come with this car suck. The lack of dressing the burrs and painting the holes drilled in the hood is pretty lame too. They should have just left them off.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

As a follow up I called SAI and they handled it awesome - sent me new pins and escutcheon plates next day!

THANK YOU!

Mark R

Archived