TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance Results (Drag Racing)

The Sheriff

Has anyone in the warmer weather climate areas had the urge to test ther Shelbys at sanctioned 1/4 mile drag strips yet. I would be interested to know what their times and speeds were. Maybe someone has tested the GT-H''s in the past which would be compareable. I am still waiting for my SGT and it will still be 3 months before the snow is off the track.

Thanks

Has anyone in the warmer weather climate areas had the urge to test ther Shelbys at sanctioned 1/4 mile drag strips yet. I would be interested to know what their times and speeds were. Maybe someone has tested the GT-H''s in the past which would be compareable. I am still waiting for my SGT and it will still be 3 months before the snow is off the track.

Thanks

Matt,

Call me old or call me lazy...Just don't call me late for Sunday afternoon drag racing. I don't have to use a clucth....it's an automatic. Even I couldn't screw that up.

Matt,

Call me old or call me lazy...Just don't call me late for Sunday afternoon drag racing. I don't have to use a clucth....it's an automatic. Even I couldn't screw that up.

I gave it a shot a week ago. Had trouble big time with launcing the car. Even with the TCS on it was still spinning the tires to a lousy 2.20 60' The best i could do was a 14.200. But then again, i sucked at driving it. I have always had auto's and my last race car was a 10 sec galaxie on methanol. I was not real happy with the tune that was in it eithier. I put a different tune it but have yet to take it to the track but it deffinitly is way more responsive now. There is a video located at my site here:

My Web Site

I think a set of drag radials would help substancially but, it sure looks good going down the track. :)

I ran the Shelby GT-H at two events last year (and won both). At Thunder Valley Dragway in Bristol, Tennessee, the car went a best of 14.21 @ 99 mph. Not earth shaking by any means until you consider the conditions. Density Altitude was over 8000 feet. Bristol is carved into the side of a mountain and we race there in August so there is not enough air for birds to fly. Temperatures were 102 with 93% humidity.

Next race was at Epping, New Hampshire where we were greeted with decent air. The GT-H went 13.69 at 104 mph. Also, I deep staged the car (where you turn the top bulb off). This allows for a better reaction time but kills some elapsed time. Typically, deep staging kills eight hundredths to a full tenth of a second. I feel that the car had a 13.57 or 58 in it.

A five speed car with good tires and a good launch should be a deep 13 second car. With a good driver I would have to say 12.80's are not out of the question if you have good air and a good track.

:)

I ran the Shelby GT-H at two events last year (and won both). At Thunder Valley Dragway in Bristol, Tennessee, the car went a best of 14.21 @ 99 mph. Not earth shaking by any means until you consider the conditions. Density Altitude was over 8000 feet. Bristol is carved into the side of a mountain and we race there in August so there is not enough air for birds to fly. Temperatures were 102 with 93% humidity.

Next race was at Epping, New Hampshire where we were greeted with decent air. The GT-H went 13.69 at 104 mph. Also, I deep staged the car (where you turn the top bulb off). This allows for a better reaction time but kills some elapsed time. Typically, deep staging kills eight hundredths to a full tenth of a second. I feel that the car had a 13.57 or 58 in it.

A five speed car with good tires and a good launch should be a deep 13 second car. With a good driver I would have to say 12.80's are not out of the question if you have good air and a good track.

Right on!

The track i ran at was 3,000 feet. But, i know there is a mid 13 in the car just better conditions and driving to get it there.

I would recommend a spare set of wheels with drag radials mounted just for racing. Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial is an excellent choice. You might also want to invest in a set of lower control arms with relocation brackets and an adjustable upper arm with mount. BMR makes good stuff as does Steeda.

A five speed car with good tires and a good launch should be a deep 13 second car.

I thought an automatic transmission results in faster times in a drag race. The launch is supposed to be simpler and more consistent. And I thought top fuel dragsters use automatic transmissions or clutchless transmissions. Am I mistaken?

Fireball

I thought an automatic transmission results in faster times in a drag race. The launch is supposed to be simpler and more consistent. And I thought top fuel dragsters use automatic transmissions or clutchless transmissions. Am I mistaken?

Fireball

Well, sort of. Fuel cars only have 1 forward gear but one helluva clutch system. A lot of amateur drag cars do have automatics, but usually with reverse pattern slap shifters which result in much better shifts and ET's.

Fireball

I'll try to explain this one. An automatic car is simpler to launch. Stab it and go. However, most cars are quicker with a manual transmission due to having a better gear spread which keeps the engine in its favorite rpm band. These new five speed automatics, on the other hand, have a very similar gear spread to the Tremec five speed manual transmission. The auto cars are almost as quick as the manual cars. I firmly believe that with a good launch and quick gear changes the manual transmission cars should be quicker. You can shift them where you need to instead of the computer shifting for you as the auto cars do.

Now, Top Fuel dragsters do not use a transmission at all. They utilize an air operated throwout bearing that operates similar to a hydraulic ram. The bearing moves toward the clutch pack a predetermined distance by timers. The farther forward the bearing moves...the harder it presses against the clutch pack. This allows the crewchief to control how much power is applied to the rear tires as the car goes down the track. Too much clutch engagement too soon and you smoke the tires. Too little clutch or too late of an engagement and you either smoke the clutch or you just flat get beat. This process is one of the greatest technological juggling acts in all the world. Also, the clutch itself is an engineering marvel. Check out Ram Clutches website for a view into one of these multi-disc clutch setups.

Hope this helped.

I gave it a shot a week ago. Had trouble big time with launcing the car. Even with the TCS on it was still spinning the tires to a lousy 2.20 60' The best i could do was a 14.200. But then again, i sucked at driving it. I have always had auto's and my last race car was a 10 sec galaxie on methanol. I was not real happy with the tune that was in it eithier. I put a different tune it but have yet to take it to the track but it deffinitly is way more responsive now. There is a video located at my site here:

My Web Site

I think a set of drag radials would help substancially but, it sure looks good going down the track. :)

You state that you put a different tune in the car. Please explain. I know there is more in the engine of the Shelbys and I would like to know how to get it.

You state that you put a different tune in the car. Please explain. I know there is more in the engine of the Shelbys and I would like to know how to get it.

Using an SCT tuner. You can use the tunes that come with the programer but, they are pretty generic. I get a professional tune from a source other than SCT , I just use the programmer to install my tunes is all and am very happy with it. Throttle responce is far better and aceleration (Butt Dyno) is far better also. If you reall want to get everything out of your shelby while keeping evrything (Parts wise) stock, Get it tuned on a dyno for best results. Then you will know where your at performance wise before you start wanting more power and modding it with performance parts.

For example:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/

My Web Site

You are racing with the traction control on? :blink:

Unless they have made HUGE strides in the traction control in the last few years, you should probably learn to race with it off. It's not supposed to be a racing improvement, but a real world keep you from hitting a median on unexpected ice/gravel thing. Work on your clutch feather and leave the dumb down switch off. IMHO. :D

Using an SCT tuner. You can use the tunes that come with the programer but, they are pretty generic. I get a professional tune from a source other than SCT , I just use the programmer to install my tunes is all and am very happy with it. Throttle responce is far better and aceleration (Butt Dyno) is far better also. If you reall want to get everything out of your shelby while keeping evrything (Parts wise) stock, Get it tuned on a dyno for best results. Then you will know where your at performance wise before you start wanting more power and modding it with performance parts.

For example:

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/

What did your SGT dyno at? It acts like it should dyno @ 350HP, but they swear by 319 HP to either the rear wheels or general HP, they never said?

Please let us know.

You are racing with the traction control on? :blink:

Unless they have made HUGE strides in the traction control in the last few years, you should probably learn to race with it off. It's not supposed to be a racing improvement, but a real world keep you from hitting a median on unexpected ice/gravel thing. Work on your clutch feather and leave the dumb down switch off. IMHO. :D

Tried it both ways and i was running slower with it on. I'm just used to racing automatic cars with high stall converters and wheels up launches . Untill i get some DR's or something, like you said i have to start being easier off the line and try to get some consistancy with my launch. It was the first time out running the car plus being a stick, i was not a smooth runner thats for sure. Tomorrow night i will be doing some more practicing and i'll post my results.

What did your SGT dyno at? It acts like it should dyno @ 350HP, but they swear by 319 HP to either the rear wheels or general HP, they never said?

Please let us know.

319 @ the crank not @ the rear wheels

I have yet to have it dyno'ed but its not going to be 350 thats for sure. If the 319 holds true at the crank for the shelby set up, With C&L CAI and the tune that i put in it may be just a few more, Maybe closer to 325 @ the crank. Thats about maybe 275-280 at the rear wheels? Not to sure on the numbers. The only Dyno i have is my butt and my daughters butt because she rides with me alot. We both agreed that with the changes so far, it was far more responsive and accelerated faster (Pin to the seat feel). Thier is nothing wrong with the Ford Racing CAI and the tune that came with the car for what it is. I will tell you though that the Ford tune is conservative. The diference between fords tune and my new tune is very different but, i dont have the numbers to show the difference, just my Butt dyno. As soon as a dyno day comes up in my area we will see the real numbers and go from there. :)

Please let us know.

I have already posted this elsewhere but here are my Dyno numbers:

Both pulls were right around 280 RWHP and 300 ft/lbs of torque.

A stock 2007 Mustang GT under the same conditions should get around 265 RWHP and 290 ft/lbs of torque so the Ford racing CAI, 93 octane tune, and exhaust upgrades yields ~15 RWHP and 10 ft/lbs of torque.

Supposedly the FRPP 93 octane tune is pretty tame because 93 octane is not available in a lot of places. With a more aggressive custom tune the SGT would probably be in the 290 RWHP range.

I'll be installing a polished Shelby-Paxton blower and some other tweaks myself as soon I can get it delivered... Hoping to get ~450 RWHP when it’s all done!

Dyno%20Run%2002%20-%20040707.jpg

319 @ the crank not @ the rear wheels

I have yet to have it dyno'ed but its not going to be 350 thats for sure. If the 319 holds true at the crank for the shelby set up, With C&L CAI and the tune that i put in it may be just a few more, Maybe closer to 325 @ the crank. Thats about maybe 275-280 at the rear wheels? Not to sure on the numbers. The only Dyno i have is my butt and my daughters butt because she rides with me alot. We both agreed that with the changes so far, it was far more responsive and accelerated faster (Pin to the seat feel). Thier is nothing wrong with the Ford Racing CAI and the tune that came with the car for what it is. I will tell you though that the Ford tune is conservative. The diference between fords tune and my new tune is very different but, i dont have the numbers to show the difference, just my Butt dyno. As soon as a dyno day comes up in my area we will see the real numbers and go from there. :)

Ok, I was watching the vid of you racing the ricer and not being familiar with the whole strip thing, why did it look like you guys were just kind of rolling then suddenly took off?

Let me hazard a guess here not having seen the vid. Delay box?

Wheel spin with out the TCS

A little boggy with it on after the initial launch

60' times were .220

If i tried it will TCS on, the 60' was worse. There for it looks like the cars not movin then it starts picking up speed.

The second or 4th run on the video shows it spinning like mad then once i grabbed second, little tire smoke then it hooked.

I have already posted this elsewhere but here are my Dyno numbers:

Both pulls were right around 280 RWHP and 300 ft/lbs of torque.

A stock 2007 Mustang GT under the same conditions should get around 265 RWHP and 290 ft/lbs of torque so the Ford racing CAI, 93 octane tune, and exhaust upgrades yields ~15 RWHP and 10 ft/lbs of torque.

Supposedly the FRPP 93 octane tune is pretty tame because 93 octane is not available in a lot of places. With a more aggressive custom tune the SGT would probably be in the 290 RWHP range.

I'll be installing a polished Shelby-Paxton blower and some other tweaks myself as soon I can get it delivered... Hoping to get ~450 RWHP when it’s all done!

Dyno%20Run%2002%20-%20040707.jpg

Thanks for posting that..........

Wheel spin with out the TCS

A little boggy with it on after the initial launch

60' times were .220

If i tried it will TCS on, the 60' was worse. There for it looks like the cars not movin then it starts picking up speed.

The second or 4th run on the video shows it spinning like mad then once i grabbed second, little tire smoke then it hooked.

Thanks for posting that..........

I was really surprised to see in your videos the Shelby stayed a solid mid 14's in all the runs. I couldn't tell, did the station wagon win?

I was really surprised to see in your videos the Shelby stayed a solid mid 14's in all the runs. I couldn't tell, did the station wagon win?

Unfortunatly, the wagon squeeked by me at the stripe. I'm also wondering if the altitude could have something to do with it. The track i was at is at 2700 feet. I have also drivin the car in the mountains to carve some corners 4000 feet alt. and have noticed a change in performance, Like a little lag on the intial hit of the throttle and then the car comes on?

I have not yet came out of the hole @ about 2400/2600 rpm then when the tires quit smoking hit the gas again. But I have strong footed this SGT at about 15MPH and the thing just launches like a Bat out of Hell, I am impressed. So if it is not the HP (280 to rear wheels is nothing to cry about) then it has to be the gearing @ 3:55. Like I said I am totally surprised at the comments here as I think this car is a blend between balanced power and raw sensations = A total rush! This Shelby GT is one incredible car in my book.

I have not yet came out of the hole @ about 2400/2600 rpm then when the tires quit smoking hit the gas again. But I have strong footed this SGT at about 15MPH and the thing just launches like a Bat out of Hell, I am impressed. So if it is not the HP (280 to rear wheels is nothing to cry about) then it has to be the gearing @ 3:55. Like I said I am totally surprised at the comments here as I think this car is a blend between balanced power and raw sensations = A total rush! This Shelby GT is one incredible car in my book.

No argument there! :)

Archived