TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 or SGT ?

64peter

Originally I had my sights set on a GT500 until I found out about the SGT. Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems that the SGT is a far better deal for the following reasons: Better looking, better handling, a true Shelby with Shelby CSM#, and much more affordable. The only thing the SGT is lacking is horse power which can be added with the S/C and still cost less than the GT500. Based on this I ordered black manuel SGT with IUP and anti-theft and I plan to get the S/C mod.... Any thoughts?

Originally I had my sights set on a GT500 until I found out about the SGT. Correct me if I'm wrong but It seems that the SGT is a far better deal for the following reasons: Better looking, better handling, a true Shelby with Shelby CSM#, and much more affordable. The only thing the SGT is lacking is horse power which can be added with the S/C and still cost less than the GT500. Based on this I ordered black manuel SGT with IUP and anti-theft and I plan to get the S/C mod.... Any thoughts?

You know...it's really six and one half dozen of the other. Both have their advantages depending upon what you're driving needs and preferences are for style etc., There is something to be said for a car that was actually built at SAI vs. licensed and built at Ford. But then again 500HP is nothing to sneeze at either. You're right as far as pricing goes and I think which looks best will depend who you ask.

In the end as long as you're happy just be thankful you're one of the lucky few to be able to own one or the other. Most people won't be so fortunate.

Have fun!

:)

Me personally, and this is just my opinion, I would go with the SGT with a supercharger over the 500 (and maybe a shot of NOS). You just can't get around a true Shelby for collectability if that is what you are going to do with the car.

If you just want the GT 500 name and raw power then as Matt said, it's 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.....

Do the 500's come signed? Just wondering....

Me personally, and this is just my opinion, I would go with the SGT with a supercharger over the 500 (and maybe a shot of NOS). You just can't get around a true Shelby for collectability if that is what you are going to do with the car.

If you just want the GT 500 name and raw power then as Matt said, it's 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other.....

Does anyone want to get into that whole S/C vs warranty issue again? lol. But seriously, that is a consideration, imho.

No and there is no Shelby dash plaque or CSM number. You can guy one though with your VIN:

http://shelbyautos.com/parts/ShowDetail.asp?id=106

For $299 autographed by Carroll...I wish we could get this! :(

matt

I had the oppurtunity to buy one but not both. As most know I am waiting for my superchargerd Shelby GT from SAI. However, let me play a little bit of devils advocate. Yes you can add a supercharger to the Shelby GT and make pretty close to the horsepower of the GT500. But if you are going to compare performance you also need to add a brake package. And the brake package, whether you use Shelby's Baer package of FRPP Brembo package, requires new wheels. The price for parts and installation of the supercharger, brakes, wheels and tires will push you slightly above the GT500s MSRP. But how many GT500s have sold for MSRP. They are wtill 10K-20K over in SoCal.

The whole true Shelby argument will go on forever. Consider a couple of things. The 1968 GT500 was produced by Ford in Michigan not by Mr. Shelby in CA. Those GT500s still fetch more than most 65 & 66 GT350s. A GT350 requires some racing or other promenance to out sell a 1968 GT500. Also, Amy has said many times that they Shelby GT500 is a "Shelby." Of course there is a financial stake but she owns a grabber orange one.

I just purchased an alarm for my SGT yesterday. As I was leaving the alarm shop I saw a red Shelby 500 coming down the road. I slowed up to check out his car and we acknowledged each other. We got to the next signal together and when the light turned green we gunned it. I let off at around 60 mph and was keeping up with him just fine. Now he did have his windows down which could create a little drag but like I said, I kept up with the big guy. When one of you So Cal guys gets the supercharger, lets compare notes and see how much better your car does.

I just purchased an alarm for my SGT yesterday. As I was leaving the alarm shop I saw a red Shelby 500 coming down the road. I slowed up to check out his car and we acknowledged each other. We got to the next signal together and when the light turned green we gunned it. I let off at around 60 mph and was keeping up with him just fine. Now he did have his windows down which could create a little drag but like I said, I kept up with the big guy. When one of you So Cal guys gets the supercharger, lets compare notes and see how much better your car does.

No problema amigo B)

If I can find the article again I'l post a link but I was reading where they put a 500 beside a SGT and there was very little difference as far as acceleration. Something like a tenth of a second.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews/st-0906shelbytest.htm

Maybe I'm thinking 0-60 on my times....

I don't know, I'm not awake yet

If I can find the article again I'l post a link but I was reading where they put a 500 beside a SGT and there was very little difference as far as acceleration. Something like a tenth of a second.

EDIT: here's the link http://www.themustangnews.com/carnews/st-0906shelbytest.htm

Maybe I'm thinking 0-60 on my times....

I don't know, I'm not awake yet

Thanks for the article. I wouldn't mind trying out a GT500, but I am very happy with my SGT and I am getting to old for that hard clutch on the GT500 anyway.

I give my vote to the Shelby GT. I was wanting a GT500 but after hearing about the GT I decided it was the car for me. I think the GT is better looking and has the advantage of actually being built by SAI. The 500 is a fine car but in my opinion the GT is an all around better value and package.

I give my vote to the Shelby GT. I was wanting a GT500 but after hearing about the GT I decided it was the car for me. I think the GT is better looking and has the advantage of actually being built by SAI. The 500 is a fine car but in my opinion the GT is an all around better value and package.

The descision for me to go with the SGT over the 500 was not an easy one. It took quite a while and lots of research. The only unknown for me now is what flavor of Stang will Shelby come out with next (one thats built at Shelby like the SGT) ? But I don't want to miss the boat completely.

What is the dollar amount to make the choice from? This would answer alot of questions for me.....

-John

Regarding my original post I would say for the SGT: 39k MSRP, 6.4K S/C , then throw in 2.4K for brakes and 2.4 K for 20" razors you are looking at around 50K for a spiced up SGT and I have yet to see a GT500 for under 56K.

.....In case you missed it, the next two Shelbys are the convertible 2007 Shelby GT-H and the 2008 Shelby GT500KR. Both will be finished at SAI in Vegas.

No , I did not miss it ... I was thinking more along the lines of a 2008 SGT or GT350 or ???. Something the average person will be able to afford. I'm sure the KR will be 100k after the dealers get to them and the dealer down the road from me has sold a GTH for 63K and currently is asking 65 for a GT500 convertable.

.....cost wise the common man probably will only be able to afford a Shelby GT. It is undermarketed and doesn't have a magical name. I expect when the Shelby GT350 does come out, it will fetch ADMs as high as the 2007 GT500. There will be less and the name "GT350" is just as magical as the "GT500." People will over look the horsepower. Althoug, I expect it to be 400+ anyways.

What is the dollar amount to make the choice from? This would answer alot of questions for me.....

-John

Personally, I think just a little more in the HP dept. Not a lot, just a little more separation from a regular GT, maybe 340 to 350 HP without going to the expense of an S/C. That way you have a true progression in performance to go along with the progression in price. That said, you guys have evidently done a great job in the handling dept. and of course the looks are great. Then you could create a GT350 in the 400 to 450 HP range. And next ...?

Archived