TEAM SHELBY FORUM

INITIAL INPRESSIONS

MAP

;) I picked up #687 ( White 5spd ) on Thursday and drove 160 miles home. Yesterday was spent bonding in the garage, drove it some more this morning. My observations so far are:

1. Mileage- 25.4 on interstate 70-75 mph.

2. Drivetrain- shifter quite different at first but I like it fine now.

3. Looks- the car looks great, espically the lower stance with the nose down a little, it draws a lot of looks and comments. It is one of those cars you can just sit in the garage and look at, quite pleasing on the eye.

4. Suspension- a bit stiff but ok, seems a little jittery on bumpy surfaces. The tires were already at 28 psi. I have not had it on a curvy road yet, but suspect it will corner well.

5. Power, Nice, reminds me of a 98 Cobra I had. Real good torque, pulls hard. I will probably add headers and underdrive pulleys, probably will not add the supercharger though, it is fine for my needs. I think that stiffer gears would wake it up, maybe 4:10s.

6. Quality, a couple of items.

Seems to maybe have an exhaust pipe touching somewhere, transmitts a noise and you can feel it bumping when the car gets hot. I don't consider it a big problem, I will put it on the rack and take a look.

The hood scoop has a couple of ridges, like it distorted when it was drawn down against the hood, only on the left side. It drives me crazy because while driving you are always looking at it. I am going to have to get that taken care of. The rest of the things that seem to bug people ( stripes, side badges ) are fine, the extra grille doesn't show and is not a issue for me.

All in all I am quite pleased. It is a fine looking, well balanced car. My thanks to the folks at Shelby and Ford too.

;) I picked up #687 ( White 5spd ) on Thursday and drove 160 miles home. Yesterday was spent bonding in the garage, drove it some more this morning. My observations so far are:

All in all I am quite pleased. It is a fine looking, well balanced car. My thanks to the folks at Shelby and Ford too.

Thanks for the update MAP and congratulations! So far, from everything I've read, while we all have some little pet peeve or small issue to resolve, (go figure in something as complex as this) everyone seems truly happy with their cars!

I'm counting down the days till I'm "truly happy"... ;)

Thanks again!

Matt

Thanks for the update MAP and congratulations! So far, from everything I've read, while we all have some little pet peeve or small issue to resolve, (go figure in something as complex as this) everyone seems truly happy with their cars!

I'm counting down the days till I'm "truly happy"... ;)

Thanks again!

Matt

By the way Matt, it mostly because of you that I have a car now. I have been reading your posts about ordering and such.

I had placed a order on Feb 14th with a small dealer who did not have an allication (Mustang) until April, and they were told by the zone/district rep that they could have one Shelby. At any rate I waited and waited with a clean/unscheduled status and finally couldn't stand it any longer and found #687 in Nashville.

Long story short, before I could call and cancel my order the dealer got a VIN and a build date (oops). Needless they are pretty upset with me, I can't say as I blame them too. So at this point they have my $1000 deposit and I am not sure how much trouble it will be to get back. But I like my new car so much I am not worrying about it now.

1. Mileage- 25.4 on interstate 70-75 mph.

2. Drivetrain- shifter quite different at first but I like it fine now.

3. Looks- the car looks great, espically the lower stance with the nose down a little, it draws a lot of looks and comments. It is one of those cars you can just sit in the garage and look at, quite pleasing on the eye.

4. Suspension- a bit stiff but ok, seems a little jittery on bumpy surfaces. The tires were already at 28 psi. I have not had it on a curvy road yet, but suspect it will corner well.

5. Power, Nice, reminds me of a 98 Cobra I had. Real good torque, pulls hard. I will probably add headers and underdrive pulleys, probably will not add the supercharger though, it is fine for my needs. I think that stiffer gears would wake it up, maybe 4:10s.

6. Quality, a couple of items.

Seems to maybe have an exhaust pipe touching somewhere, transmitts a noise and you can feel it bumping when the car gets hot. I don't consider it a big problem, I will put it on the rack and take a look.

The hood scoop has a couple of ridges, like it distorted when it was drawn down against the hood, only on the left side. It drives me crazy because while driving you are always looking at it. I am going to have to get that taken care of. The rest of the things that seem to bug people ( stripes, side badges ) are fine, the extra grille doesn't show and is not a issue for me.

Congrats ! I picked 545 on Wednesday night. I think I am hearing the same thing with the muffler/exhaust..will have it checked out..but otherwise I love the car !

By the way Matt, it mostly because of you that I have a car now. I have been reading your posts about ordering and such.

I had placed a order on Feb 14th with a small dealer who did not have an allication (Mustang) until April, and they were told by the zone/district rep that they could have one Shelby. At any rate I waited and waited with a clean/unscheduled status and finally couldn't stand it any longer and found #687 in Nashville.

Long story short, before I could call and cancel my order the dealer got a VIN and a build date (oops). Needless they are pretty upset with me, I can't say as I blame them too. So at this point they have my $1000 deposit and I am not sure how much trouble it will be to get back. But I like my new car so much I am not worrying about it now.

regarding the ripples mine is in exactly the same spot as you describe and i also hate having to stare at it when i drive, however bud at SAI can help you with that issue :)

TOTALLY agree on the 4.10's. With them you wouldn't need it supercharged as the launch off the line would be neck-breaking, for a stock setup anyway. I think that is what is going into thr KR's next year.

Since I can't afford the blower yet I'm thinking of a little 75 shot of NOS for "special" occasions.

Have the same problem with my hood scoop and have seen it in many pictures of SGTs an E-Bay etc. It drives me nuts also because you have a perfect view and are looking right at the warping/gaps from the driver’s seat.

I contacted Bud at SAI and he was very helpful. Received a replacement scoop and installation instructions in 3 days. They included two stainless pan head hex bolts/nuts to replace the two front "fake" bolt heads on the front left and right side (requires drilling through the hood and hood frame) and that corrected the gap at the front of the scoop.

Bad news is the problem with the middle part of the scoop warping/gaps is no better. Fundamental issue with both scoops is that they are not designed for the contour of the hood. The outside flanges are flat and level and sit on a non-flat and non-level surface. Trying to pull the scoop into the shape of the hood with bolts/brackets causes the warping of the scoop and the hood and the noticeable gaps. Maybe I just got unlucky and got two bad scoops or it just bothers me more than others.

I actually really like the look of the SGT scoop and would prefer to keep it but at this point I am seriously thinking of replacing the entire hood with a built-in scoop.

I’ll give SAI full credit for prompt customer service with attempting to resolve this but unless there is a new scoop design I’m not sure this will ever work to my satisfaction.

Other than the scoop issue I love the car so the good far outweighs the bad.

Congrats ! I picked 545 on Wednesday night. I think I am hearing the same thing with the muffler/exhaust..will have it checked out..but otherwise I love the car !

If we are all having the same issue with the exhaust............

Mine is the left muffler , rear hanger, hitting and rubbing on the inner bumper (If thats what its called). Trim off about an inch off the hanger and your good to go.......

I tried re-adjusting the muffler and its just to close. It leaves a mark where its hitting so you can't miss it.

If we are all having the same issue with the exhaust............

Mine is the left muffler , rear hanger, hitting and rubbing on the inner bumper (If thats what its called). Trim off about an inch off the hanger and your good to go.......

I tried re-adjusting the muffler and its just to close. It leaves a mark where its hitting so you can't miss it.

Same scoop issue here as well.

Thanks for the tip on the mufflers.

Sue

Same scoop issue here as well.

Thanks for the tip on the mufflers.

Sue

Your welcome Sue..........

Can any of you post a pic of what your talking about on the scoop? I'm not 100% on the scoop but, i just thought thats how it was made from the mold?

Thank's

Archived