TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are you all driving them, or not?

1965coupe

Hi everyone.. I've had my Shelby GT since last week.. I already have about 250 miles on the odometer.

I figured I would ask all of you what your plans are with your cars.

Here it goes:

I already have a '65 Mustang that is in a magazine and is a show car.. I've had the car since I was 14 so it is very sentimental. I do not drive the car unless it is a special occasion or a car show. For long distances, I trailer the car. Also, I store the car in a "bubble"- a car capsule..

I just traded my '04- 40th anniversary package convertible for the Shelby. The '04 was my daily driver.. During a normal semester, I drive to school 2 days a week- about 90 miles roundtrip. Other than school, I work 3 miles from home, and take the occasional trip into town (20 miles roundtrip).

I am having some doubts about whether or not I should drive the Shelby.. All of my car show friends make fun of me for trailering the '65, but when it comes to the "Shelby," they say.."oh no, you can't drive it.." It makes me sick.. The '65 is my first ever car.. As far as I am concerned, it cannot be replaced..

So, this is obviously the best place to ask.. Seeing as how I only have 2 semesters of school per year, and my work is close to home, am I a fool for driving/putting miles on the Shelby? Are you guys treating them like they are priceless and not driving them at all?

I am very meticulous when it comes to detailing/maintaining cars. I plan on keeping the Shelby as long as possible. I would like to at least drive it while I'm paying for it- then, I will park it and limit the driving..

ANY advice you all have would be excellent!!! I want opinions from guys that own the cars.. Not people that wish they could own one..

Thanks in advance!

So far the car is awesome!!!

I aggree the car is awsome, I have had mine for almost a month now and I am so glad that I got it, I still can't believe at times that it is actually here. :) I have a daily driver car an 07 300C so the Shelby is my fun car and when it isn't being driven it is in a gurage. I got it out and drove it some today as a matter of fact I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet just 117 but it will be driven and it will be showed and kept nice and clean.

This is my first mustang and my first Shelby and with the GT500KR coming out and it looking like it is going to be way expensive and the 07 GT500 still too much over ADM I really made the best choice with the Shelby GT.

If you have a Shelby GT be very proud and remember drive it and enjoy it but if you want to store it, it is all upto you. Have a good evening.

I aggree the car is awsome, I have had mine for almost a month now and I am so glad that I got it, I still can't believe at times that it is actually here. :) I have a daily driver car an 07 300C so the Shelby is my fun car and when it isn't being driven it is in a gurage. I got it out and drove it some today as a matter of fact I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet just 117 but it will be driven and it will be showed and kept nice and clean.

This is my first mustang and my first Shelby and with the GT500KR coming out and it looking like it is going to be way expensive and the 07 GT500 still too much over ADM I really made the best choice with the Shelby GT.

If you have a Shelby GT be very proud and remember drive it and enjoy it but if you want to store it, it is all upto you. Have a good evening.

I plan on driving mine. I may be a little more careful where I park it but it was built to be driven. I would be sad if we all just took them home to store away for the future. The car was built to have fun. People enjoy seeing them. I respect owners who want to preserve them, but what memories would we be creating if all we did was store them in the garage? And I got to think Carrol Shelby would agree. Don't abuse them....but enjoy them!!!

This is what I went through with the '04.. Deciding whether or not to drive it. The '04 had a 40th anniversary PACKAGE.. only offered in 3 colors, etc. I know I'm comparing a Shelby to a GT, but..

I ended up buying an '81 Mercedes diesel as a daily driver to keep miles off the '04. The car was such a pig I had to sell it..

After that, I drove the 04 as my daily driver.

I know the 07 is a Shelby, but I don't want to take a new car to a show. My '65 is my show car. I plan on keeping the Shelby for quite some time. Maybe I will restore it later on.

I guess my biggest fear is theft. I have lojack with early warning, and a club. I still need to get a "security system" installed- I don wan't an "alarm," I want a 2-way security system that shows the status of the car.

I understand I will get chips on the freeway, but the cost of the 3m film with install is not cheap enough compared to repainting the bumper in 5 years.

Also, parking lot dings can be prevented.. I never got one with the '04..

Any other suggestions as far as reducing the chances of theft?

I did get GAP insurance...

Keep the comments coming!

Hi everyone.. I've had my Shelby GT since last week.. I already have about 250 miles on the odometer.

I figured I would ask all of you what your plans are with your cars.

Here it goes:

I already have a '65 Mustang that is in a magazine and is a show car.. I've had the car since I was 14 so it is very sentimental. I do not drive the car unless it is a special occasion or a car show. For long distances, I trailer the car. Also, I store the car in a "bubble"- a car capsule..

I just traded my '04- 40th anniversary package convertible for the Shelby. The '04 was my daily driver.. During a normal semester, I drive to school 2 days a week- about 90 miles roundtrip. Other than school, I work 3 miles from home, and take the occasional trip into town (20 miles roundtrip).

I am having some doubts about whether or not I should drive the Shelby.. All of my car show friends make fun of me for trailering the '65, but when it comes to the "Shelby," they say.."oh no, you can't drive it.." It makes me sick.. The '65 is my first ever car.. As far as I am concerned, it cannot be replaced..

So, this is obviously the best place to ask.. Seeing as how I only have 2 semesters of school per year, and my work is close to home, am I a fool for driving/putting miles on the Shelby? Are you guys treating them like they are priceless and not driving them at all?

I am very meticulous when it comes to detailing/maintaining cars. I plan on keeping the Shelby as long as possible. I would like to at least drive it while I'm paying for it- then, I will park it and limit the driving..

ANY advice you all have would be excellent!!! I want opinions from guys that own the cars.. Not people that wish they could own one..

Thanks in advance!

So far the car is awesome!!!

MAY I ADD A IDEA - METICULOUSLY DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT :lol:

THE SHAPE WILL AFFECT THE VALUE MORE THAN MILES AND THE MEMORIES WILL PAY FOR THE DIFFERENCE

'65Coupe,

My wife and I have had the car a month and its our every day driver. We absolutely love it!!! :D We now have over 4k miles on it and it just gets better and better. We also have show Mustangs, none of them get as good of gas mileage as the Shelby and aren't as comfortable inside. You should do what we do, drive it and meticulously clean it often... :rolleyes:

Enjoy the car!!!

Gary

Value is only determined by what someone else is willing to pay for it not what you think it's worth. With that said enjoy the car, drive it and show it off. I keep mine locked up in the barn and drive my Jeep while my wife drives her Honda. About once a week she will take it or I will take it just because - not to the grocery store or somewhere where some ahole can finger it or scratch it up - that means we go cruising and put a few hundred miles down.

I'm thinking of taking vacation Memorial Day and driving the Shelby to the SAI plant in Vegas. Kind of a Shelby road trip. My wife wants to see it.....

Value is only determined by what someone else is willing to pay for it not what you think it's worth. With that said enjoy the car, drive it and show it off. I keep mine locked up in the barn and drive my Jeep while my wife drives her Honda. About once a week she will take it or I will take it just because - not to the grocery store or somewhere where some ahole can finger it or scratch it up - that means we go cruising and put a few hundred miles down.

I'm thinking of taking vacation Memorial Day and driving the Shelby to the SAI plant in Vegas. Kind of a Shelby road trip. My wife wants to see it.....

I struggle with the same thing. Just got my SGT on Thursday, drove it to work one day and now I am wondering if I should buy a beater to drive haha ! I traded in an 04 GT that was my daily driver, and I always parked carefully..and never had an issue...but THIS car is sooo awesome..I would just die if something happened.

I would all like to ask what your favorite detailing items are for a black car. This is a first for me owning that color so I know I am in for alot of cleaning ! I always used McGuires detail mist for touch ups on my old GT. Just curious what you all use?

Thanks,

Sue

I struggle with the same thing. Just got my SGT on Thursday, drove it to work one day and now I am wondering if I should buy a beater to drive haha ! I traded in an 04 GT that was my daily driver, and I always parked carefully..and never had an issue...but THIS car is sooo awesome..I would just die if something happened.

I would all like to ask what your favorite detailing items are for a black car. This is a first for me owning that color so I know I am in for alot of cleaning ! I always used McGuires detail mist for touch ups on my old GT. Just curious what you all use?

Thanks,

Sue

I do plan on washing the car every week or two. For touch-ups, or just after a trip into town, I use a California Car duster. If there are any bugs, or you want to clean the car after dusting it, but don't want to use a hose, use Meguiar's quick detailer with microfiber towels.

**A word of caution for microfibers-- I've tried many different brands. All of them collect particles from the wash/dryer.. I wash mine in a separate load and air dry them.

When I do wash with a hose and water, I use a sheepskin wash mitt with CAR SOAP only! For drying, I like the wax-as-you-dry, followed by the "absorber" synthetic chamois', and finally, microfiber waffle towels as a final polish..

I use wax-as-you-dry at every wash. I don't use it to replace waxing..

Here are the "waffle" towels I use to dry:

Click here

I use these towels for door jambs, glass, etc:

Click here

Drive it and enjoy. If you want an investment, put your money in the market, not a brand new car.

I have a 85.5 SVO Mustang (1 of only 439 made that year). It only has 52K miles on it and is worth only slightly more than a 100K mile car in the same condition. As the car get older, it's condition is gonna weigh in more for value than miles. My father has an '03 GT with only 5K miles and the low miles ad about 11% to its value, the other 89% is options and condition.

Thanks,

Sue

Our car has not arrived yet. But when it does it will be driven but only on sunny days. I am fortunate to have a heated shop where it will reside from November to April in the cold and snowy climate it will live in. We plan on putting on 3-5K a year unless the car leaves me obsessed and I require more seat time. If you are on one of those car care perfectionists, I suggest checking into Griots Garage (www.griotsgarage.com). I have used a lot of their stuff and it is great but somewhat expensive. I used their random orbital system on my vehicles this winter that provided the best finish on my cars that I have ever seen. I cannot wait to polish and wax that Mustang.

Thanks,

Sue

I have had several black vehicles over the years and there is one thing that I have come to determine is certain, no matter what you do, it will scratch. I have tried every product and towel I could find and all of them will eventually give you fine scratches.

This is what I have found works best for me.

When I give the car a complete bath I use a soft mitt and car soap only. For drying I use a true leather chamois. After drying I use a soft polishing cloth to finish off.

In between washings I use a California car duster or Meguires quick detail. Depending on the level of dust.

For waxing I usually use Mothers carnuba paste wax. I know it's "old school," but I have had good luck with it for years. Plus there is nothing like paste wax to make you pay attention to detail.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing with detailing a black vehicle. DO NOT WASH THE CAR WHILE THE PAINT IS EITHER HOT OR IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!!!!! Try to have the car under a carport, inside a garage, or under a large shade tree. The combination of heat, soap, and towels are not in a black vehicles best interest.

Thanks,

Sue

I have had several black vehicles over the years and there is one thing that I have come to determine is certain, no matter what you do, it will scratch. I have tried every product and towel I could find and all of them will eventually give you fine scratches.

This is what I have found works best for me.

When I give the car a complete bath I use a soft mitt and car soap only. For drying I use a true leather chamois. After drying I use a soft polishing cloth to finish off.

In between washings I use a California car duster or Meguires quick detail. Depending on the level of dust.

For waxing I usually use Mothers carnuba paste wax. I know it's "old school," but I have had good luck with it for years. Plus there is nothing like paste wax to make you pay attention to detail.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing with detailing a black vehicle. DO NOT WASH THE CAR WHILE THE PAINT IS EITHER HOT OR IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT!!!!! Try to have the car under a carport, inside a garage, or under a large shade tree. The combination of heat, soap, and towels are not in a black vehicles best interest.

Just picked it up on Saturday and have drove it everyday since, almost 200 miles. I can honestly say out of all the Mustangs I have had , 1966 GT K Model fastback (show car), 1966 GT Fastback Shelby Clone, 1966 GT coupe, 1967 GT 390 Fastback, 1969 Mach 1 390 automatic, this Shelby Gt is the fastest and nicest car, not just Mustang, I have ever driven. The car, for 319 HP, is incredibly fast, quick what ever you want to say. The car is so balanced it is sic. I mean the weight distribution to the sway bars, to the cross bars etc... the car is just a beast, handles unconciously and is incredible in every way, I made the right decision. Futher more I have never bought a car where i did not have at least a taste of "buyer remorse" but NOT this time, this is a God send I even got it, it was meant to be.

Now to answer the question, I say drive it and keep it immaculate. And always remember this, you have a Shelby GT a car your friends and mine have always wanted but very few have or will ever have.

Wow everyone! Thanks for the replies! :)

In addition to the LoJack with early warnig, I just had a 2-way alarm installed. It has the LCD keychain that shows the status of the car.. Hopefully I have taken all of the right measures to eliminate the chances of my car being stolen..

Regardless of worrying about theft, this car is incredible. Everywhere I go, people look. Today, some random guy in the Lowe's parking lot shouted "awesome car."

My plan is to drive it while I am making payments. I have alternative transportation for rainy days...

Once it's paid for, I will think of it more as a collector's item.... I plan on keeping it as long as possible..

Also, I saw a guy at PepBoys.. he had a white GT500.. We got to talking about prices for the Shelby's, etc... He paid $61k for his GT500, and it was used, with 1200 miles.. :o

Wow everyone! Thanks for the replies! :)

In addition to the LoJack with early warnig, I just had a 2-way alarm installed. It has the LCD keychain that shows the status of the car.. Hopefully I have taken all of the right measures to eliminate the chances of my car being stolen..

Regardless of worrying about theft, this car is incredible. Everywhere I go, people look. Today, some random guy in the Lowe's parking lot shouted "awesome car."

My plan is to drive it while I am making payments. I have alternative transportation for rainy days...

Once it's paid for, I will think of it more as a collector's item.... I plan on keeping it as long as possible..

Also, I saw a guy at PepBoys.. he had a white GT500.. We got to talking about prices for the Shelby's, etc... He paid $61k for his GT500, and it was used, with 1200 miles.. :o

I'll bet those were hard 1200 miles?

Archived