TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FR1 pack

stump_breaker

I was noticing the FR1 pack comes with a programmer (Pro-Cal tool). After the car was reprogrammed, what was done with the programmer? Is it still in the car somewhere? Hope I never need it for anything.

"Includes the Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration"

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=8986

M-2005-FR1.jpg

I was noticing the FR1 pack comes with a programmer (Pro-Cal tool). After the car was reprogrammed, what was done with the programmer? Is it still in the car somewhere? Hope I never need it for anything.

"Includes the Pro-Cal tool with official Ford Racing calibration"

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...rtKeyField=8986

I think you're making the assumption that SAI is buying the off-the-shelf FR1 package which I would find hard to believe. I suspect that Ford has shipped them the individual installable components and not the entire package. In other words there isn't a box of these things in some corner of SAI.

It did get me thinking though what if the car, not sure why or how this would happen, ever need to me reprogrammed. Do dealers have this tool? Do they have access to the Shelby settings? Is there anything in the car that's delivered that points out the changes and how this might be accomplished? I would hate to have some dealership, 5 years down the road, reload a default GT program for some reason because they just didn't know. I would go so far as to have a tag or sticker on the jack that notified the mechanic of this fact to prevent that from happening, unbeknownst to us, because some thing read out wrong on some standard computer diagnostic etc. Maybe I'm over cautious but there's always some poor guy that doesn't get the memo.

Matt

It's kind of like not having the hard copy of Windows when you buy a new, preprogrammed computer.

I was under the assumption it was the standard FR1 pack but you might be correct on the special Shelby programming. I know the FR1 pack requires 91+ octane like the Shelby requires but then that could be just industry standard.

I think I am going to bump this one up to John. This could become a future issue.

Dealerships won't have the tool that comes with the FR1 kit, but they are able to program your PCM with the scan tools that they have. They'll also have access to the tune that Shelby installed or else they wouldn't be able to perform warranty work on the car. Other than being "cheated" out of the programmer that's in the FR1 pack, I wouldn't worry about it. If you've got some weird drivability/trouble code issues after any kind of engine/emissions work though, I'd immediately suspect the wrong tune was installed.

Archived