TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SAI Parts Quality Question

MattInDetroit

Ok...you all know I am a BIG BIG supporter of this car and SAI but I do want some clarification on a few items. Mainly the hood pins and the front grill. Looking now at the Hertz GTH #59 and #311, I have noticed a disturbing trend. The hood bolts are rusting around where the screws meet the disk and the pins and rings themselves are rusting. Why aren't these stainless? Second the front grills are rusting along the edges. Why aren't these aluminum? Both of these cars have less than 12,000 miles and a year old. It does give me cause for concern. Any one else with access to a Hertz GT seen this? :mellow:

Ok...you all know I am a BIG BIG supporter of this car and SAI but I do want some clarification on a few items. Mainly the hood pins and the front grill. Looking now at the Hertz GTH #59 and #311, I have noticed a disturbing trend. The hood bolts are rusting around where the screws meet the disk and the pins and rings themselves are rusting. Why aren't these stainless? Second the front grills are rusting along the edges. Why aren't these aluminum? Both of these cars have less than 12,000 miles and a year old. It does give me cause for concern. Any one else with access to a Hertz GT seen this? :mellow:

I Rented one few weeks back and noticed same issue with rusted screws on the pin plate, seemed very strange. personally i would not even pay msrp for the gth's its a used car and if you want to know about the used part, check some sites where people have talked about what they did to the cars when they rented them! scary. also i read somewhere they is no warranty, but not 100% sure on that. good luck, its is nice car, but i feel over priced, but hey supply and demand i guess. i did read 12 have been totaled so far :(

I Rented one few weeks back and noticed same issue with rusted screws on the pin plate, seemed very strange. personally i would not even pay msrp for the gth's its a used car and if you want to know about the used part, check some sites where people have talked about what they did to the cars when they rented them! scary. also i read somewhere they is no warranty, but not 100% sure on that. good luck, its is nice car, but i feel over priced, but hey supply and demand i guess. i did read 12 have been totaled so far :(

Understand. My concern however is that/if these are the same parts being used on our cars. If so I fear we'll have the same issues. Neither of these, rusting bolts or grills, has anything to do with being rentals.

Check out the discussion of the hood pins in the CS6/8 forum with a picture of what I am talking about.

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=932

Thanks for the info Matt and the link

Well for one stainless steel does rust. There are several grades of stainless and I think it's the 300 stainless (magnetic and what most cheap stainless steel grills are made of) that is the cheapest but it all will eventually rust if not taken care of. On the other hand it's not like these are special hood pins and can be easily replaced without anyone noticing. If you want to keep the originals, remove them and replace with some others. As mentioned before, if the stainless is magnetic meaning it's cheap it will take extra special care to keep it from rusting. This is why I continue to have a porcelin grill since the good stainless is very expensive in comparison.

Do a google on stainless steel grades and you will see.

Frankly they are a PITA IMO and I already have hood damage from the dealership because of them - or more specifically an unobservant salesman. One of my pins has been broke since day one and the spring constantly jumps out of the guide holes on the pin itself everytime I remove it to open the hood.

Still love the car though.......

.....not a quality issue but also be careful with your hood. If you pull the hood release before removing the pins the washer over the hole gets creased. i saw onee like this at a dealer. Apparently they didn't pay attention to the sheet of paper with 36pt font that came with the car... :P

Well for one stainless steel does rust. There are several grades of stainless and I think it's the 300 stainless (magnetic and what most cheap stainless steel grills are made of) that is the cheapest but it all will eventually rust if not taken care of. On the other hand it's not like these are special hood pins and can be easily replaced without anyone noticing. If you want to keep the originals, remove them and replace with some others. As mentioned before, if the stainless is magnetic meaning it's cheap it will take extra special care to keep it from rusting. This is why I continue to have a porcelin grill since the good stainless is very expensive in comparison.

Do a google on stainless steel grades and you will see.

Frankly they are a PITA IMO and I already have hood damage from the dealership because of them - or more specifically an unobservant salesman. One of my pins has been broke since day one and the spring constantly jumps out of the guide holes on the pin itself everytime I remove it to open the hood.

Still love the car though.......

Thanks for the info! Unless we hear differently on this I'm really close to not having the pins installed on my SGT when I have SAI install the C6 hood. I'll keep the pins, and the original hood, in a box and hope for the best. Now the grill...

.....so how would the painted grill looke on a black car? .....on a white car?

http://forum.shelbyautos.com/index.php?showtopic=716

I thought about that too, but think the silver grill looks sharp on the white with sliver stripes. But I can see how someone might like the black better.

Oh well...hoping the current batch of pins and grills are better than what was on the first batch of hertz cars!

Here is what I am talking about. Not sure how well this will show given the upload size limits, but the screws are rusted and the grill is showing signs of deterioration.

The screws appear to be standard sheet metal screws. Nothing special there so they will rust no matter what. You will need to get a vinyl coated or dipped screw to help stop that. The bug grill looks like someone did not get the bugs off and it etched the metal - that is assuming it is metal and not a plastic chrome overlay. I have not looked close enough at mine to know for sure. Some bugs are acidic in nature and can cause this but then we all know that....

5 minutes with Windex and wax would have fixed this.

Honest question:

How can I prevent this with Windex & wax? Please tell me as my car hasnt arrived, this way I can care for it properly from day one.

Do you wax the grill so the bugs dont stick?

I get the part about cleaning the car promptly so lingering bug remnants dont discolor the grill.

And while we are at it.....do you wax the stripes? Or should you be careful not to get any wax on the stripes? or does it matter?

Usually after driving the car I will spray the front and any flat surface with Windex and let it sit for a minute or two. Windex is slightly acidic (vinegar) and disolves bugs easily - easier than any high priced bug stuff IMO - plus it will make a shine. The bug bodies will wipe off and then apply carnuba wax to help protect it the next time around. Unfortunately this is a lifetime job if you want to keep the finish. The stripes? Not sure. I do but I could be making a mistake. I don't know if it will cause premature cracking or not.

I also very lightly mist with Windex and then wipe quickly to remove streaks after washing. Makes the black car shine like a mirror.

On a side not, I just ordered a 8mil "clear bra" for the SGT. Can't wait to see if it was worth the money.

.....Ive taken my fair amount of shots at SAI but expecting them to respond in 10 hours after hours may be a bit unreasonable :P

Agreed! I just wanted to understand the issue and how to avoid it. Maybe replace with high quality stainless like i have on my sail boat? No rust there after 7 years!

heck, we don't even know if this is an issue yet so let's wait a bit and see if anything has changed as far as the parts go in the year since.

Agreed! I just wanted to understand the issue and how to avoid it. Maybe replace with high quality stainless like i have on my sail boat? No rust there after 7 years!

heck, we don't even know if this is an issue yet so let's wait a bit and see if anything has changed as far as the parts go in the year since.

Assuming these could fit, I think these would be a great upgrade.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/mr_gasket_l..._hood_pins.html

Assuming these could fit, I think these would be a great upgrade.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/mr_gasket_l..._hood_pins.html

Interesting option!

From the same web site:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/ford_racing_hood_pins.html

Didn't know ford made these...wonder if these are what SAI uses. Does say that ALL parts are stainless steal but as has been pointed out there are potential issues there as well.

Interesting option!

From the same web site:

http://www.prostreetonline.com/ford_racing_hood_pins.html

Didn't know ford made these...wonder if these are what SAI uses. Does say that ALL parts are stainless steal but as has been pointed out there are potential issues there as well.

Be careful, I ordered some from Ford and they were to short on earlier models..........

GG

....Considering the grill over the stock grill issue was the same as on the GTH, I doubt any parts other than the hood, stripes and wheels are different from the GTH.

Moving this up in hopes someone at SAI will discuss. I have a computer, one of many I have here at work, that's stuck on this forum and every so often I glance over. Yesterday I noticed SAI-Bud in here reading for awhile. I was hoping he would leave a note but guess not. :(

Archived