TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Possible Problem in clutch/transm

My dad has had his GT500 stored in his garage all winter and went to get it out this weekend and noticed a strange noise when releasing the clutch. When letting the clutch out you can hear air pushing out underneath the car in the transmission area. He's got about 600 miles on the car from last year and that noise was never there. It is very noticible when the car is in neutral but it gets louder when the car is put in gear and the clutch is let out. I am curious if anyone else with a GT500 has noticed anything similar or knows what might be happening??

I have heard that the hissing sound is supposed to be normal with the ceramic clutch. You may still want to have it checked by your local ford dealer, i have read about to gt500's with less then 500 miles on them, having the clutch's fail.

My dad has had his GT500 stored in his garage all winter and went to get it out this weekend and noticed a strange noise when releasing the clutch. When letting the clutch out you can hear air pushing out underneath the car in the transmission area. He's got about 600 miles on the car from last year and that noise was never there. It is very noticible when the car is in neutral but it gets louder when the car is put in gear and the clutch is let out. I am curious if anyone else with a GT500 has noticed anything similar or knows what might be happening??

It sounds like the hissing we are all getting with ours. Have your Dad take it to his dealer to be on the safe side though.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, YA MINE HAS THE SAME HISS SOUND AND IT HAS 400 MILES ON IT. I HEARD IT A FEW DAYS AGO IN THE GARAGE, NOW WITH OFF ROAD PIPES IT IS SO LOUD I CANT ANYTHING ANYMORE TO LOUD. GETTING TWO MAGNAFLOW PIPES TO PUT IN PLACE WHERE THE CATS WERE.

BY THE WAY CORSA EXHAUST IS GOOD BUT ONLY WITH CATS.

• 3 weeks later...

mine does the same thing. is this also partly because it is hydralic?

No, the hydraulics don't have anything to do with it. Hotwheels has it right above, it's the duel ceramic clutch; the sound that you hear is normal for this type of clutch.

By the way, the clutch on my GT500 went bad just shy of 1,800 miles; it was the pressure plate that failed. Ford replaced the whole clutch and flywheel under warranty with the same duel ceramic clutch. I've got 6,100 miles on my GT500 now and haven't had any problems with the clutch since it was replaced.

Cheers,

WP

• 1 month later...

My car has had that noise since day one. Called dealer, seems to be normal sound with a ceramic clutch. I brought it in and they said all was good. Haven't had any problems with the clutch or car since day one over 10 months/1500 miles and I've been on it hard many times. Best to bring it in if you're unsure.

• 4 months later...

From the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Supplement - page 8:

"Due to the high performance of the powertrain, a certain amount of noise from the transmission is normal. This noise will be most noticeable when the vehicle is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out but can also occur when driving away from a stop."

...more information:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a twin disc cera-metallic clutch. This clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia clutch assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the vehicle reacts to clutch engagement may be different from other vehicles you have driven. This behavior is typical of a cera-metallic clutch and is not indicative of any abnormal issues with your vehicle."

Roll Over Noise:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A LIGHT 'GEAR ROLLOVER' NOISE WHILE THE CLUTCH IS ENGAGED AND THE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL. GEAR ROLLOVER NOISE IS A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC UNDER THESE CONDITIONS. IF THE NOISE IS BELIEVED TO BE ABNORMALLY LOUD, PLEASE COMPARE TO A LIKE UNIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR. REFER TO WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 308 FOR ADDITIONAL MANUAL TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION.

Gear Rattle:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'GEAR RATTLE' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING 1ST & 2ND GEAR SLOW OR GRADUAL LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE IS ONLY PRESENT IN 1ST & 2ND GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY CONTACT PATTERN. THE GEAR RATTLE NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Clutch Chatter at Launch:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'CLUTCH CHATTER' DURING INITIAL LAUNCH OF THE VEHICLE. THE CLUTCH CHATTER MAY BE PRESENT IN 1ST AND REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING. THE CLUTCH CHATTER HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE VEHICLE. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Clutch Hiss during initial engagement of Cerametalic Clutch:

SOME 2007MY GT500 MUSTANGS EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A 'CLUTCH HISS' NOISE FROM THE DRIVELINE DURING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT. THE CLUTCH HISS NOISE IS MOST NOTICEABLE DURING INITIAL ENGAGEMENT OF THE CLUTCH INTO 1ST AND/OR REVERSE GEARS AND IS CONSIDERED A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC CAUSED BY THE CERAMETALIC CLUTCH LINING CONTACTING THE PRESSURE PLATE AND FLY WHEEL METAL SURFACES. THE CLUTCH HISS NOISE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE PERFORMANCE OR DURABILITY OF THE CLUTCH OR TRANSMISSION. RECOMMEND COMPARISON TO A LIKE UNIT. IF THE SYMPTOM IS EXCESSIVE COMPARED TO A LIKE UNIT, FOLLOW NORMAL WORKSHOP PROCEDURES TO FURTHER DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE.

Archived